xbmc fails to start, goes to login screen
Just installed XBMCbuntu 12.2 and having a heck of a time with it. After install it will flash to the splash screen then back to ubuntu. If I try to start xbmc from ubuntu it does the same thing.
I've tried upgrading/updating and anything else I could find but nothing has worked.. and without being able to view the log files im in the dark. This is on a E5200 / BIOSTAR 43D3 / Geforce 210

I'm not fluent in linux..

I've tried accessing the log file but I get a "Permission denied"
Code:
$HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

p.s. this is also through an SSH session (Putty)

Have also tried booting from usb / cd without installing, it tries to start XBMC as you see the splash screen then ubuntu screen and it will just toggle between the two for a while. XBMC never starts.
I've tried a 545x, Geforce 210 and both do the same thing.
More fuel for the fire here... I just did a fresh install of ONLY ubuntu 12.04 and then loaded xbmc, it works flawless...

I would much rather have xbmcbuntu since this is for a HTPC.

Thanks for any help i can get on this problem
You are trying to execute the log-file :-)
Try

less $HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
Ooops, thanks!

I did a reinstall last night (5th time reloading it) and oddly enough... its working great now. No idea why but its working!
From here,
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/
Downloaded both; xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso and xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso, installed and tried one after the other, none works. Loops through several screens and returns back to the login prompt.

Why not post something that does work?

-sgreen

(2013-07-02, 00:15)GarrettC Wrote: More fuel for the fire here... I just did a fresh install of ONLY ubuntu 12.04 and then loaded xbmc, it works flawless...

That would be hilarious if it did not Smile!

-sgreen
I had a similar experience. Running XBMCBuntu from USB stick. Choose Start try XBMC. The XBMC screen comes up, disappears, comes up again and then returns me to the Ubuntu desktop with a Login screen. I try to login into XBMCBuntu using XBMC as login name and no password and all I get is a new screen with an option to install Ubuntu in the top left corner. This is not the way to win over people to use either Ubuntu or XBMC.
(2013-08-22, 15:46)jopie Wrote: The XBMC screen comes up, disappears, comes up again and then returns me to the Ubuntu desktop with a Login screen.

New install (not dual boot) and getting the same problem. This hardware had been working with WinXP and XBMC, and only having the usual audio issues, but it won't work with a clean install of Ubuntu XBMC.

Stumbled around in Ubuntu and found three log files had been created for one event.
How do I troubleshoot this??
Get your logs off the forum please. Post to pastebin and give us the link.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
and you're using an unsupported GFX card or the wrong iso
I will go further that wsnipex, its a supported gfx card the nvidia gt210, therefore he has installed the wrong iso. As for the 545x then it is unsupported and you need beta2 xbmcbuntu iso for that to get you going.

In sum you cannot install nvidia card base system with the AMD iso and vice vers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc fails to start, goes to login screen0