XBMC fresh install minimizes itself mid playback
Question 
I just upgraded to a fresh install of windows 8 - all new drivers, updates, etc. Everything seems to be working properly with the exception of XBMC which minimizes during video playback for no reason...? The sound keeps going - video keeps playing, but my desktop appears instead of xbmc. I downloaded a program that is supposed to hide the mouse after 5 seconds, but I have since disabled it wondering if it is the problem... it randomly does it - sometimes after just a few minutes, sometimes 30-45 minutes into a show. I have a button on my remote which forces xbmc to launch (ie makes it the foreground), but it's rather irritating... Anyone have some pointers?
Do you press the backslash key - it is the minimize / maximize button.
For me, when I press the \ key, it switches between windowed mode and fullscreen. Tonight I timed it - it is almost exactly every 15 minutes. I have the standard screensaver add-on enabled, but that's set to dim the screen after 5 minutes - this doesn't match up at all; timewise or behavior.

Does anyone have any other ideas? When I playback video in MCE, or PDVD13, the screen never minimizes, only XBMC does.

Anyone have any ideas?
Windows updates pending ?

Sounds like Windows is trying to remind you about something and is pulling focus away from XBMC.

What else is running ? Check your process list in Task Manager and force quit anything that doesn't look like it's a normal Windows process.

Something external to XBMC is grabbing focus. It's not XBMC itself causing your problem.
SiliconKid - that's what I thought too - but why doesn't it happen with any other application then? And it's not windows updates - restarted dozens of times tinkering with other things - no avail. Very minimal processes running on the system. I'm wondering if it's an addon to xbmc that's doing it... I had weather installed and took that out thinking every 15 minutes it was polling for an updated weather info - didn't fix the problem. I have bluecop's repository installed so I can use hulu and a few other online sources - could that be the problem? I've never set that up before until now. Could that cause any problems?
After hours of troubleshooting - I gave up and uninstalled xbmc, deleted preferences, reinstalled xbmc (same install file) and now it works just fine. Argh.

Maybe this post will help someone else down the road. Cheers!
Do you still have a debug log from before? It will list the installed add-ons. Comparing it to your current add-ons might help identify the culprit.
I believe it was the hulu updater... I didn't install the updater this time, and haven't had any problems. *shrugs*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC fresh install minimizes itself mid playback0