To Stream or not to Stream?
Hello,

I am currently building a NAS, using FreeNAS, potentially simultaneously with a High-End Streaming Server for my media. My question is whether or not it is faster/smoother for XBMC to play media being streamed (1080p) or directly from the NAS. My concern is surrounding the ability to seek as well as minimize buffering.

Thanks ahead of time!
Being on the NAS is a form of streaming. Can you elaborate on your potential setup?
Hey Ned,

I am currently planning out a Gaming/Streaming Server to transcode movies for my mobile devices. It will use my FreeNAS server to serve the files, so that it can stream them, probably over DLNA or uPnP to the devices via TVersity or similar software.

My question is would the streaming go smoother for XBMC if it came straight from the NAS or would it be smoother if I had a high-powered CPU handling the FreeNAS buffering and handing out the files to XBMC?

For all non-XBMC devices, the answer is the Streaming server as it must transcode for them, but with XBMC, it can play ALL of my data files, so transcoding is just not necessary or desired (I prefer LOSSLESS).

Also, the XBMC system is a standalone HTPC accessing data wirelessly over 802.11 (Soon to become AC)

Thanks again for the help!
I know I am not very knowledgeable in this area but what I do is I currently have a apache server setup on my main system. This serves all my files to all my devices throughout the house and also over 4G to my note 2/wifi tethered nexus 7.

If I use my note 2 and or wifi tethered nexus 7 with XBMC to stream from home it works flawlessly with a slight buffer time. (maybe 5-10 seconds for most videos) and very minimal buffering throughout the movie/tv show if any at all.

Hope this helps.

I was not happy with the UPNP or the PLEX/Transcoding over my network. I didnt like the lack of quality in the videos. maybe I was doing it wrong. lol. but I'm happy with what I have now.
I think that a more accurate title for this thread would be "To Transcode or not to Transcode?" Assuming your XBMC device(es) can handle the video decoding on its own, then there's no need to transcode.
(2013-12-27, 09:03)AZImmortal Wrote: I think that a more accurate title for this thread would be "To Transcode or not to Transcode?" Assuming your XBMC device(es) can handle the video decoding on its own, then there's no need to transcode.

True.

What I am trying to determine is whether or not to link up XBMC to shares from my server, probably running TVersity/PS3 Media Server, or directly to my FreeNAS box. My goal is to minimize buffering as much as possible since I will not be transcoding from the Server/NAS to XBMC, as it can play all my files natively, but I will be using the Server to transcoder files for mobile devices, etc. since my iDevices cannot play MKV or FLAC files.

It is VERY important that I keep quality as LOSSLESS as possible from the file to the player.
Like I said, assuming you're using XBMC on a device that can decode the video on its own, then you can play the original file directly on its own without transcoding. If anything, running the videos through a transcoding server first could introduce buffering because of not only the need to transcode on the fly but because of the increased bandwidth needed for the transcoded stream. In short: just play directly from your FreeNAS to XBMC.
The setup that I have is as follows:

TV -> XBMC Client -> DD-WRT Router Main -> WIRELESS TRANSMISSION -> DD-WRT Router Extender -> Streaming Server -> NAS

-- OR --

TV -> XBMC Client -> DD-WRT Router Main -> WIRELESS TRANSMISSION -> DD-WRT Router Extender -> NAS

The Routers are being upgraded to 802.11AC for speed, so the network won't be the bottleneck anymore. What I am trying to decide is whether or not using the faster 2GB ethernet connection (2x1) between the Streaming Server / NAS is more efficient then if I just stream over the network directly to XBMC box. I was thinking that if the Server can use the full bandwidth of the network interface to the NAS then it could help speed up the streaming to the XBMC box, am I wrong?

Thanks for the replies!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To Stream or not to Stream?0