Karaoke support; CD+G, CDG, KAR, KOK, and/or KFN
never mind Smile

thanks for moving my thread to where it should have been.

anyways.....karaoke support is sure to come (i hope)

keep up the good work mc gods
hi i tried it and it doesnt seem to work (according to the faq it's not supported - so duh... hehe)

was wandering if there was any chance of supporting it for the xbox. would be great to turn the xbox to a huge karaoke box - and if it is not too hard adding support for the text be to overlaid over video footage on your hd would be a plus.

for those who do not know what mp3+g is - it is aformat similar to midi+g/cd+g - in that it is music and graphics (text) used for karaoke.
ive been asking for mp3+g support since xbmp. i really wish they could implement it. it just makes sence to do it.
didnt realise this thread had already been made - guess i type the wring thing for search,

i'll second the request for mp3g - i know midi/kar is good too but mp3g is just so much better in quality not sizeSmile

what would be even better is if they could make it so the text would be able to overlay video footage so that u dont just look at a blank screen text on it.

but first things first - if they could do mp3g i reckon that would rock - u could then just hook ya xbox/tv to a karaoke deck for mics and away ya go....

was seriously considering by one of the uber expensive decks wihch played mp3g but this would be so much better.
i suppose you gotta ask yourself how many xbox gamer/hacker-types are actually interested in karaoke? unless you find a developer who is interested you may be out of luck.
yep i do saw, here is an another cdg-karaoke thread in here but i wanted to start up an another thread because there were so much talking about mid / kar support which i really don't suggest.. here i come up with some ideas with the things that i'm grounding them..  as usual, i'm also sorry about my bad english Blush but try to survive and read on.

*.mid files contains only notes of melody. it does not  actually contain "soundsamples". this makes range of sounding of the song very small. midi files definetly does not sound as good as mp3 which is synthesizer maded or played by the real band or orchestra. *.mid files also cannot contain background singers like mp3 file can.

cd+g  (mp3/cdg) can sound really like the very original song - and they even usually do, if you look sunfly's or soundchoise's products (which are two biggest ones i think)

also: xbmc can already play mp3 files. so what do we need is just routine to read cdg-graphics file and show it on the tv in the sync with the mp3 file.
i can't and i don't even wanna decide what is easy to do or not.. i don't know shit about coding, but it just "feels like" that this shouldn't be so hard..?

if this helps anything here's link for some kind of specs of the cd+g: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/cdb/info/cdg

somebody said in the other thread also that mp3+cdg files can be converted to mpg format, but that's not a good idea.
mp3 file is usually around 4mb and cdg file is usually around 2mb or something. converting them to mpg movie file, it will take up to 60mb space. what a wasting!

somebody said converting that mpg file to windows media file (don't remember the extension now.. was it wmv?) - that song could be played at microsoft's xbox music mixer software. then files sould be uploaded to xbox drive e. i bet everyone does not have space that much there. and 60mb mpg file is around 40mb in wmv. this is still bad wasting.

on both of those cases it would be easier to have mp3 & cdg songs on your computer hard disk and share them for xbox with samba, or burn on cd-rw or dvd disk.

there were also discussion about microphone support in this case (like there is in the xbox music mixer). yes sure, that would be pretty good feature.. but my experiences of xbox music mixer's microphone option just tells, that it does not work very well. there is every now and then so bad latency that you can't hang on the rythm. also, echo option sucks. i don't know if that is a up to coder how well this could work..

but i have (and i bet some of the others do have also) microphone option on my amplifier, so that's not the biggest problem then. microphone support could be implemented later..

<span style='color:red'>
so in a nutshell.. what we need for now is routine that runs cdg file sync while playing mp3 file - just like it runs subtitles in sync when playing avi files.
</span>

as a postscript i would like to tell for every developer how i appreciate your work. if i could write code, i would help you guys. you really made xbox worth of buying it, with xbox media center!!!  :thumbsup:
thank you very much.
actually the conversion to play through xbox music mixer is mp3 to wma, so 5mb mp3 is about the same size in wma format. if the cdg and the wma are names exactly the same, xbox music mixer will play these files after they are uploaded to the e drive. xmm has a limitation of 250 files however, so you can't have more than that number store there or it warns you and just chops off any after 250 in alpha order. for now i think it is much easier to get music mixer and just upload the wma/cdg combo to the right spot on the e drive.

your very last resort should be converting mp3/cdg collection to mpg movie files. first you are right, they would be huge. but on principal, this is like asking someone who wants to watch a movie with subtitles to recompress the movie with the subtitles rendered in to the avi/mpg file rather then just overlaid like they are now. this conversion is simply a work around but it certainly is not a real world solution for those that want to do karaoke.

i agree it would be good to have the ability to show on screen cdg files when playing an mp3 or wma. the cdg is really just a subtitle file if you think about it. the cdg contains the graphics and text and the timing info about when they appear on screen. no idea if a developer ever wants to code this in to xbmc. if they did, it would be nice to be able to pick a background video, or background image too display the lyrics over, it would make it more dynamic feeling than just a black or blue screen.
hello, just want to add my support for a mp3+g (cd+g) karaoke support as priority xbmc supported karaoke file format.

there is heaps of songs available, files are small, and sound quality is good.

let's have xbmc rock even more!!
hi:

put me down for cd+g support. i am not a coder but i will help out in any way i can.

regards,

wayne
somebody at xbox-scene's forums said he's coded visualisation that can play cdg files in sync with mp3. he's posted a patch to xbmc's section in sourceforge..

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id...tid=581840

( discussion at xbox-scene's forums: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...0009&st=45 )
well it would be nice if they can integrate it in the next cvs since it's already coded. i can't wait to play my mp3+cdg on my xbox without converting them in wma and putting them in a special folder :d
(boomdivx @ july 19 2004,17:21 Wrote:well it would be nice if they can integrate it in the next cvs since it's already coded. i can't wait to play my mp3+cdg on my xbox without converting them in wma and putting them in a special folder :d
any devgods hearing our prayers? :bowdown: :help:
play *.kar files :nuts:
yes, karaoke :thumbsup:
i have a lot of .kar and i would like to read it on my tv instead on my pc :o
Question 
fyi, the cdg (karaoke) support patch for mp3 patch (link) is now in xbmc cvs, so xbmc do now support *.cdg karaoke files via it
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Karaoke support; CD+G, CDG, KAR, KOK, and/or KFN0