Nas, Server and MySQL
Is it possible to put the MySQL library on a NAS, or have it on the XBMCbuntu install of one of the HTPC boxes?

I currently have a central server with all of my movies and TV shows, but am thinking of breaking the TV shows off and running them on a dedicated NAS. This is because the daily use of XBMC is TV shows rather than films, so the full server does not need to be running all of the time. A NAS with power saver and WOL would be much more efficient, but XBMC would not function without the server being on as it holds the MySQL database. So the question, can I install the MySQL on a NAS (http://www.ebuyer.com/582876-synology-ds...er-ds214se) or on a Revo running XBMCbuntu?

Thanks
I run mysql on a Synology DS411J. This is a native feature of the operating system. Works perfectly for distributed XBMC installations sharing the same db.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
Thanks rig6767. How easy was it to set up the MySQL for XBMC (easier than pure Linux, ie GUI?) and are you using SMB to share the files? Any issues serving up multiple videos at once?

Thanks
Setting up Mysql was a piece of cake on the Synology. It's all pretty much GUI driven.
http://quixventure.com/2011/12/configure...-for-xbmc/

I have set up my shares with NFS as I have a raspberry pi as one of my endpoints and the overheads of NFS are less than SMB so it reduces the burden on the pi. I used to use SMB with no issues previously when I only had Windows based machines.

Also, no issues serving up multiple videos at once and my box is quite old now. Newer models have even quicker processors etc.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
Thanks.

I'm just debating between the Qnap TS-212P and Synology DS213J. Very similar machines and specs, the Qnap has USB 3.0 but apart from that, seem pretty equal. Both appear well supported, with good GUI and software.

Decisions decisions...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nas, Server and MySQL0