Gotham: Removed ability to rescan movies/No more "movie information" screen?
EDIT: Well, I did one last check of my settings before downgrading and found that the content of my main movie folder had somehow reverted to "none" --despite me deleting my database before upgrading to Gotham. So all of my sources had just been added and just had their content set yesterday. I'll leave this up in case others have the same problem. Looks like these Gotham alphas will forget the content of your sources, so check that first if things start acting weird.

I upgraded to the 12/22 nightly on my ATV2 and I see that the whole context menu has been redesigned, somehow removing the "Movie Information" tool/screen.

I see another person has posted a thread about this already and gotten no answer.

Can someone tell me if this is a bug or just the way XBMC will work moving forward? It does seem weird that they would remove the one way to fix metadata in your movie library. The "TV Information" tool is still available in the context menu when in that part of the library.

I noticed after upgrading and nuking my database (which was the actual fix for a previous zombie media source problem, so I guess I didn't need to upgrade) that when my movies were rescanned I suddenly had "Arthur Christmas" in my library, and when I played it, I could see that it was one of the Batman movies but I wasn't exactly sure which one.

I quickly found that there was no option in the context menu or the sliding panel to get to the "Movie Information" page with its handy "Refresh" option to rescan the file. The only apparent tool left under the "Manage" sub-context menu was "Edit Title," which 1) doesn't give you any info from the "Movie Information" screen like what the actual file path to the file is and 2) doesn't actually change the metadata of the entry in the library, just the title. So all of the art and info remain "Arthur Christmas."

The tool is missing under my Quartz skin and also under the default Confluence skin. It also doesn't appear if I hit the "i" button on the XBMC remote app.

I read the thread about the reasoning for redoing the context menu and the very first post shows that it is supposed to have "Movie Information" from it. Although I suppose there could be some other discussion where they decided to remove it.

I even installed the XWMM add-on, since it seemed like the developers were moving toward removing the library management functions from XBMC itself. But not even the webinterface will allow me to rescan the file and fix the metadata.

I'll just go back to Frodo for the foreseeable future and avoid upgrading to Gotham. But I'd be interested if someone could tell me if this is intentional or just an alpha bug.
Both Movie information and tv show information are as of alpha 11 part of context menu. Update library has been moved to the side tab, and scan for content is gone and only available via files, which maims functionality since it behaves differently from update library.

thinsgs taht are really screwed up are; (at a brief look)

Mark as watched and Mark as unwatched both show on normal context and duplicated on the Manage... Which is at best inconsistent, while both options also shows up now irrespective and no longer content aware. (read When something has already been flagged as watch context still shows up option to Mark as watched)

The whole lot needs reviewing and cleaning up as its seriously maiming some earlier context aware options to show up as necessary and also duplication is inefficient
Quite a few options are completely nuked and no longer show up anywhere in this rearranging move.

Needs to be consistent and practical and the option to scan for content needs to come back as even if only to where update library is) as it is fundamentally different from Update library.

But yes the changes are made on purpose and is the direction XBMC is going towards. I guess "something has to get worst before it gets better! applies here.
Dont go expecting 3rd party skins to keep up and go moan at those developers.

As for bug reports trac is the place for them, however dont fret as I feel this "subject" (not to be confused with "issues") is somewhat on the radar.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham: Removed ability to rescan movies/No more "movie information" screen?0