Kernel panic on NFS server
I have posted this thread in the OpenElec forum but have not received any replies. I was hoping for better luck here. :-)

I have been using XBMC 12.2 on a several Fedora 19 machines for some time. When I added media sources to them, NFS was not an option, so I mount the NFS shares to the local filesystem & setup an XBMC source as /media/Videos. This has been working fine. I built a media center & loaded OpenElec 3.2.3 ION.x86_64 on it. Since mounting NFS shares to the local file system seems to be discouraged, & since NFS is available when browseing to add a network source in XBMC, I decided to try that route. However, sooner or later when watching media from this share, it will cause the NFS server to kernel panic. The last couple lines in /var/log/messages on the server are:

Dec 1 12:51:36 clear52gateway mountd[13633]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.5:727 for /home/Videos (/home/Videos)
Dec 1 12:54:13 clear52gateway kernel: RPC request reserved 525232 but used 525364

clear52gateway is my NFS server & 192.168.1.5 is my OpenElec media center. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
clearly an problem on the server side. Even if libnfs was somehow responsible for that, the server still must not die because of a bad client.
I have 5 other clients access the NFS server just fine, it is only the OpenElec client which is having problems. Even XBMC on the other clients is working fine. The only differences between them are the one is running OE & the others are Fedora 19. The other difference is that the OE client within XBMC, the media sources are setup as 'Network Files' - NFS where the Fedora clients did not offer NFS within XBMC, so I have the NFS shares mounted locally on the client, & the media sources within XBMC point to that local folder.
the answer remains the same. A server must not crash because of a (possibly badly behaving) client. Besides that, I've never had a NFS server crash when using xbmc's built-in nfs client, which is libnfs.
If your fedora xbmc installs don't provide NFS supports, its because the packager did not include it.
Damn you found my vfs/nfs exploit *runs* [WINKING FACE]
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
There it is http://sysc.tl/2010/05/23/freebsd-kernel-nfsclient/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kernel panic on NFS server0