XBMC 12.3 no audio output
Hi,

After installing the XBMC 12.3 update I lost audio output. I am using HDMI audio on my NVIDIA GFX card for audio output, and the output device was HDA Nvidia, HDMI #4 (i also got #1 - #3) on XBMC 12.2. After installing 12.3 i only got HDA Nvidia, HDMI #1 - #3, #4 is gone. I saw something about audio updates in the new XBMC 12 version, seems like one of these updates has broken xbmc on my setup.

I have checked in console and I can still find all audio devices there, but when checking the xbmc log I can only see that it enumerates HDA Nvidia, HDMI #1 - #3, #4 is not listed.

Could this be a index - 1 typo in one of the audio patches?

teddy
Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101728
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
sudo reboot

now redo the sound configuration.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks fritsch, it worked Smile
Hello i'm having the same issue: no sound after 12.3 upgrade, sound over HDMI setup.

I didn't remove pulseaudio because it would remove gnome too (sorry for the french):

Code:
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances      
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Le paquet suivant a été installé automatiquement et n'est plus nécessaire :
  libx264-132
Veuillez utiliser « apt-get autoremove » pour le supprimer.
Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
  gnome* gnome-core* libasound2-plugins* libcanberra-pulse* pulseaudio* pulseaudio-module-x11* task-gnome-desktop*
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 7 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
Après cette opération, 5 017 ko d'espace disque seront libérés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer [O/n] ? n

Here's my debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101854
pulseaudio heavily interfers with xbmc audio. If you really need to run it. Choose "Pulse Audio Server" as your output device and set channel numbers to 2.0 Don't activate passthrough.
Thanks, I tried what you described, but didn't seem to work out: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101869

How do I disable passthrough? I couldn't find the right option.

As a last resort, what are the consequences of removing gnome and gnome-core packages? That can't be good, right?
Update: I tried removing pulseaudio and lost all sound, including outside xbmc, not good. I tried toying around all availables options in System > Audio, but nothing seems to work... Do anyone have any clue?

Update 2: Solved, I feel like a fool, after looking at other posts, I saw that sometimes the volume would be turned down during an upgrade, it seems that was the case, a long "+" press did what I couldn't in a morning Sad
pulse removal worked for me. 12-2 to 12.3 upgrade via team-xbmc ppa. I also had not updated my system in a while, I updated to latest kernel image and nvida-current from xswat prior to upgrading to 12.3 and that may have had something to cause my problem but any lightdm workarounds did not work for me. I also noticed that some of my stored blurays are now working which had problems in 12.2 from my nas. Not sure if this was fixed from 12.2 to 12.3 or removal of pulse but thanks to Fritsch for the fix. I just hope my resume is now fixed as well; a quick suspend - resume cycle shows promise but it usually takes longer than 30 minutes to happen.

rgds,

Dave
Merry Xmas to all, and thank devs.
(2013-12-25, 20:42)fritsch Wrote: sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
sudo reboot

After upgrade to 12.3 via team-xbmc ppa i also did not have any sound but the above solution worked for me Rofl
THE BEST SOLUTION!!!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Hey Guys, same problem here.

after i've doen this

sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
sudo reboot

the sound in xbmcubuntu works well, but in xbmc it said error-no sound devices why? can you please help me out?

my xbmc hardware is this mainboard http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/E350M1/index.asp and the sound output is hdmi
Another Solution besides deinstalling pulseaudio would be to just stop the service with

sudo service pulseaudio stop

If you mainly use your machine for xbmc, but sometimes use the desktop too, you can
disable autostart of pulseaudio at system startup with

sudo update-rc.d -f pulseaudio remove

then if you need sound on your desktop just start it by hand with

sudo service pulseaudio start

- Masher
when i log on with ssh and type it i get this

media@xbmc:~$ sudo service pulseaudio stop
[sudo] password for media:
stop: Unknown instance:
media@xbmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f remove pulseaudio
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/remove: file does not exist

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help