XBMC 12.3 no audio output
Hi all,

Removing Pulse Audio worked for me here.

XBMCUbuntu
Asus atom / Ion mainboard
XBMC 12.3 FRODO

Thx for the help!
Absolute fabulous!
I had sound when I just installed XBMCbuntu but not after I done a system update and deployed a custom build of xbmc.
Don't think I had figured out this by my self.

THANKS!
I have the problem but can't uninstall pulseaudio cause XBMC is installed on an ubuntu precise LTS via the PPA. If I do this it will uninstall ubuntu desktop and i want to keep a desktop session. The solution of deactivate the service doesn't work at all.
The only solution by now was to downgrade to 12.2
I hope that a solution with no need to uninstall pulseaudio will be find until the release of XBMC 13
You and many others no doubt, will be happy to know that better pulseaudio support has been injected into XBMC AudioEngine (wiki) day before yesterday and yesterday by fritsch

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits/master

This probably mean that pulseaudio users will benefit from better support in XBMC -- however at your XBMC 12.3 version - pulseaudio support is nigh. That means that if you want your audio to work the solution at XBMC 12.3 is still to drop ick pulseaudio to the curb.
Quote:I have the problem but can't uninstall pulseaudio cause XBMC is installed on an ubuntu precise LTS via the PPA. If I do this it will uninstall ubuntu desktop and i want to keep a desktop session

purging pa does not remove your desktop. i was thinking this too some time ago but it's not the case. you can remove pa and configure an asoundrc file, then you have desktop sounds with alsa.
Note that apt will remove the ubuntu-desktop meta package only and as FernetMenta said, this won't really remove unity./whatever other desktop.
Thank you very much for your help. I will try to uninstall pulseaudio Wink
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was thinking that uninstalling a meta package will uninstall all the packages concerned by it Confused

(2014-01-10, 11:49)uNiversal Wrote: You and many others no doubt, will be happy to know that better pulseaudio support has been injected into XBMC AudioEngine (wiki) day before yesterday and yesterday by fritsch

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits/master

This probably mean that pulseaudio users will benefit from better support in XBMC -- however at your XBMC 12.3 version - pulseaudio support is nigh. That means that if you want your audio to work the solution at XBMC 12.3 is still to drop ick pulseaudio to the curb.

this is good news Blush
i just uninstalled pulse audio from the command line.

if you're in linux a linux based version of xbmc press ctrl-alt-(F1-F7) dependant on your setup and log in and run the command

Code:
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

and it now allows me to select the correct passthrough options that i could not select with pulseaudio installed and my DTS sound works again Big Grin

Thanks all!
Excellent mark thread as solved and Enjoy XBMC.
Fritsch, please help. Here is the log;

Your debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=255864
Smile 
(2013-12-25, 20:42)fritsch Wrote: sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
sudo reboot

now redo the sound configuration.

Heh, I forgot that obvious step - thanks for posting this as a reminder. In the same way that "apt-get remove --purge networkmanager" fixes networking, unfortunately it seems "apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio" is still the best way to fix Linux audio problems...
That's not need anymore. We run nicely on desktop systems and with pulseaudio :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.3 no audio output0