Linux life tv kills tvheadend after a while
Hi everybody,

this is my first posting here so I take the chance to introduce myself.
My name is Michael, 43 years old, german. That's why I hope you will excuse my poor english.

I'm running raspbmc with tvheadend on a raspi b (512).
The difficulties begin after watching life tv. tvheadend uses more and more ram. After some 10 minutes life tv stops and restarts after half a minute (or so). pid of tvheadend has changed by the time so that I presume tvheadend stopped because of lacking memory and was automatically restarted.

tvheadend is running on the same pi that I connected to my television via hdmi.
The only other addon is a wether forecast (as much as I know). I connected a Hauppauge Wintv-Nova-USB2 box for life tv. Power supply is 5V, 2.1 A via micro usb.

Ah, yes, version of tvheadend is unknown (tvheadend-0.0.0-unknown or similar). It came with XBMC version 13.2-BETA1 Git:20140604-84725b0. Platform: ARM Linux 32-bit

Thanks in advance for help, hints and support.

regards
Michael
What version of tvheadend do you use?
Hi,

Code:
tvheadend -v
returns
Code:
tvheadend: version 0.0.0~unknown

What else can I do to obtain the version?

By the way, if I stream from tvheadend to my tablet, memory usage of tvheadend stays constant (under 3 %).
The problem only occurs, if I watch life tv with xbmc.
Should I increase gpu_mem_512 from 128?

regards
Michael
Look on the About tab in the web interface. If it also says 0.0.0-unknown you have some random build, if so try compiling it yourself.
Hi,

about says the same.
All the same, I installed tvheadend from reproin the first place with no significant difference.

Can you tell me, if an increase of gpu_mem would help?

regards
Michael
I doubt it will help, but I don't have a Pi so who am I to say. I would suggest you try the stable version (3.4), at least that one is certain to not have any memory leaks. I have some issues myself with the master branch, though I have a monitoring solution that restarts tvheadend if it starts consuming more memory.
Hi,

thanks for your help.
I'll try to compile it myself, then.

Will you tell me some details about your 'monitoring solution'?

regards
Michael
I use a software called "monit", it can monitor any program running on your computer and take various actions based on things like memory usage etc. Here's my configuration file for tvheadend:

/etc/monit/conf.d/tvheadend Wrote:check process tvheadend with pidfile /run/tvheadend.pid
start program = "/etc/init.d/tvheadend start" with timeout 30 seconds
stop program = "/etc/init.d/tvheadend stop"
if totalmem > 1024.0 MB for 1 cycles then restart
depends on oscam
Hi,

thanks a lot.

regards
Michael

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
life tv kills tvheadend after a while0