[Feature Request] Allow caching of local video
The scenario is as follows:

I have XBMC running on my Windows 8 machine. One of the best features of Windows 8 (for me) is the storage spaces. In particular, I like that I can mix and match drives to form a single storage pool (with redundancy) and not have to separate it across multiple drives manually.

A problem with this, however, is when using external USB drives. The external USB drives shut down (to save energy) when not in use. Since storage spaces store information across drives in 256MB slabs, this means a single video (720p TV show, for instance) can potentially span multiple drives. Since USB drives can take quite a bit of time (10-20+ seconds) to spin up, this causes a pause in playback and sometimes (if the lag is long enough, XBMC will just give up and jump to the next video in the playlist).

Being able to precache the next section of video would be very helpful here.

I know there's currently a feature that allows adjustment of the size and type (memory of HD) of the video cache. What I'd like to request is:

1. The ability to use this for local content as well as network and streaming sources
2. For storage on HD, allow the user to specify (in advancedsettings.xml) where the video cache is (perhaps there's an SSD I want to store it to)

Thanks!
1 is already an option: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)
I tried that but based on the discussions, that option doesn't apply to local storage, only LAN or streaming.
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
1 Buffer all filesystems (including local)

Requires XBMC v13alpha10 or higher
Is it possible to modify the cache directory?
I can't find it.
Would use symlink then or path substitution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Allow caching of local video0