OpenELEC v3.1+ fails to keep sources over a reboot
I've been running OpenELEC since 1.95.something on Fusion hardware (Asus E45M1-I Deluxe). I run the systems without any local storage - everything is held on an unRAID server, media files, MySQL server, PXE boot & tftp, etc.

I'm currently stuck on OE v3.0.2 (later versions - certainly up to 3.0.6 won't load posters/fanart)

However, I'd like to move on to current releases, but v3.1/3.2 have problems with holding sources. If I boot a 3.1/3.2 system, there are no sources present. I can enter a source (nfs share on my unRAID server), using the standard GUI, and can access all the media there. However, if I reboot the OE box, the source I just entered is no longer available. If I revert to a v3.0.2 image, all is back to normal.

Why do v3.1 and v3.2 not retain sources? I believe that these are the versions which use the new 'plugin' configuration utility, but I don't know whether there is a connection netween this and my problem.

I have sources.xml redirected to a user share on my unRAID server, via path substitution, so that the same sources are shared by all clients:
Code:
<substitute>
      <from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
      <to>nfs://tower/mnt/user/xbmc/sources.xml</to>
    </substitute>

AS far as I can determine, all shares on the unRAID server are writable from OE.

All assistance greatly appreciated.
Would need to see a full debug log - after install of latest stable, after adding source and after reboot
Okay, installed OE v3.2.4.

xbmc.log - session in which a source was added: http://sprunge.us/NUEG

xbmc.log - the following session: http://sprunge.us/OEUT

Edit to add:
Hmm ... looking at those logfiles, it seems that the system is unable to resolve the name 'tower' at the stage it is opening sources.xml. tower is defined in my .config/hosts.conf file, and it is possible to ping tower from an ssh session.

Since the name was correctly resolved in 3.0.x, and earlier, I'm guessing that something significant changed between OE 3.0.6 and OE 3.1.0 (either the sources.xml file is being accessed earlier, or the hosts.conf file is being loaded later). This would seem to be a trap for the unwary! I would suggest that, if possible, this should be fixed.

Altering my advancedsettings.xml to use the quad-dotted numeric ip for the path substitutions certainly improves matters - the Movies source is now available after a reboot.

However, this now highlights a new problem - the current scraper setting for the source is not remembered. This appears to prevent the scan from completing satisfactorily, so I still don't get the 'Movies' option added to the home screen.

Further Edit:
The problem with scraper (and many other) settings not being held was similar ... the host setting for the mysql server in the videodatabase section of advancedsettings.xml also had to be changed to quad-dotted numeric form.

From a cusory look, everything now seems to be fine - and v3.2.4 would appear to have fixed the the problem with acquiring poster/fanart ('cannot stat ...' error).
change 'tower' to the actual IP address of the tower in your advancedsettings.xml
I seem to have a similar setup as you do. I am running Unraid server for my media and openelec for my HTPC. I also have xbmc setup using mysql. No problems at all until I turned off my openelec pc to check on a fan. When I turned it back on it is not seeing the Movies, TV shows. I can see the files under files and the sources are there but it doesn't have them set as content. I am not sure why it is not working now. I can see the unraid Tower and the openelec pc on my windows computer. I think there is something wrong with openelec and SMB. I wondered if it had something to do with the master browser? Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC v3.1+ fails to keep sources over a reboot0