NFS Access Problems - Synology
Hi

Working my Christmas project - Raspbmc.

I already have a version of XBMC running on my Windows machine, so I have a bit of background understanding.

I have Raspbmc running XBMC 12.2 all loaded on the Pi.

I have been able to map to some network drives and play videos from them, but I am having problems with connecting to my Synology (DS1513+ running DSM 4.2.)

I have followed each of the steps on the WIKI NFS and have input all settings using Putty to SSH to the Diskstation.

When trying to add my movie folder to the videos library I can browse to NFS, I see the IP address of my Diskstation and then I can get to /volume1/Movies, but after that I get stuck.

cat /etc/exports gives this

/volume1/Movies 192.168.1.*(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

I seem to be in the same place as other people, but having looked through the forums I can't understand what I need to do next.Sad
I needed a patch from synology to be able to browse nfs shares on xbmc and obtained this by loggng a support request on their site. Although I have an arm based nas (413j) and dsm 4.3 so not sure if this applies to you.
My export is slightly different to yours but unfortunately I don't understand the details.

/volume1/Family *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,sec=sys,anonuid=1025,anongid=100)
OK. Thanks, appreciate the help.

I have emailed Synology, so let's see what they come back with, although with it being the weekend they might be a bit slower than usual to respond.

Overnight I updated the firmware on the Synology, so I am now on 4.3, but this doesn't seem to do much to help me out.

I have managed to connect using SMB and by putting in the username and password, but from all I read it seems the best methods is still to use NFS?
The patch is included in the new version of DSM --> 4.3
If you upgrade to the new version everything will work as it should ... (with a specific NFS option --> something with port 1024)

You have to set this option for every directory .... without this option it will not work
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with Raspbmc and my Synology NAS (with DSM 4.3). I think it is a problem with (the latest version of) Raspbmc. If you're not tied to Raspbmc for any reason, try using OpenELEC instead. I got an NFS connection to my Pi immediately. I also managed to get the appropriate keyboard layout.
I'm running RaspBMC with my Synology (NFS) without any problems ....
Still struggling here.

I have this firmware:

DSM 4.3-3810 - this is the latest available for my box.

According to some other forums Cooliemueller is right that Synology included the patch in later firmware releases.

I must be doing something wrong somewhere...

I'm still getting as far as /volume1/Movies but not being allowed to browse any further into the sub-folders.

I might give OpenELEC a go to see if that works any better.
Check the NFS Permissions for each shared folder and enable port 1024+ access and you will be sorted Smile
Apologies in advance for the dumb question...

"enable port 1024+"

on what? (and maybe how?)
1. Open DSM
2. Open Control Panel
3. Open Shared Folder
4. Select your Folder and click on "Privileges" and on "NFS Privileges"
5. Edit your NFS rule (I hope you have one :-))

--> Voila ... you will find the Option called "Allow connections from non-privileged ports (ports higher than 1024)"

Enable this option and everything will work :-)
Well, many thanks! Things are working.Rofl

Strange thing though, I had been through that process already, but I thought what the heck I'll do it again...

All the settings were as described, the only thing that I changed was the "Hostname or IP*:" entry - I originally had this as 192.168.1.* so that anything on my network should be able to access.

I changed this to just * to give full access - things started working.

Just for fun I changed it back to 192.168.1.* to see if this would stop it working and it hasn't. So I'm none the wiser really about what I have done differently this time, but hey, it's working.

Thanks for all the help!

Now to work out how to share the same database between my PC and Pi...Big Grin
Thanks to cooliemueller I've got this sorted too.

Ticking the 'Allow connections from non-privileged ports (ports higher than 1024)' option worked for me
Hi,

I am a new DS414 owner, in replacement of my DS211.

Raspbmc was booting on network by NFS on my DS211, share by NFS on my DS211. Working like a charm.
Both are up to date in last version.

I am unable to do the same with my DS414.
I am unable to install Raspbmc to boot on network by NFS on the DS414.
Either, I am unable to share through NFS with DS414 with Raspbmc booting on the DS211.

So I think there is a difference between the two DSM, maybe the SYS security...
Or I am missing something...

Edit: I am able to share with select the "All users map to admin" squash option of share NFS permissions.
I had to "Tweak" my Synology DS413 DSM5.x so that Gotham could see the shares on my NAS.
(2014-05-08, 01:18)migwell Wrote: Hi,

I am a new DS414 owner, in replacement of my DS211.

Raspbmc was booting on network by NFS on my DS211, share by NFS on my DS211. Working like a charm.
Both are up to date in last version.

I am unable to do the same with my DS414.
I am unable to install Raspbmc to boot on network by NFS on the DS414.
Either, I am unable to share through NFS with DS414 with Raspbmc booting on the DS211.

So I think there is a difference between the two DSM, maybe the SYS security...
Or I am missing something...

Edit: I am able to share with select the "All users map to admin" squash option of share NFS permissions.

Got mine working on my DS414.

Check this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201201

I use openelec, which worked fine from the off. Had to set permissions (not share permissions) on the files too, see page 2. This is what got xbmc to work on my anroid phone and windows pc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS Access Problems - Synology0