XFinity Crashed ATV2, now not recognized by iTunes
Installed Xfinity on my Frodo'd ATV2 (which has been working great for a long time). The new Xfinity looked fun, but as I was exploring the different aspects my ATV2 stalled. After giving it plenty of time, I gave up and unplugged it, figuring I'd have to do a standard re-tethered boot to get it back up and running. However , my iTunes on both my computers (New Macbook Pro with Maverick and Old Macbook Pro with Leopard) won't recognize the ATV2 at all, so I can't seem to affect it. I tried with it plugged in, unplugged, attempted to put it in DFU mode, restarted it by holding down the remotes restart buttons for 6 seconds, but nothing is allowing my computer to recognize it (even though it blinks happily and correctly when I hold down the remotes A&B buttons for 7 seconds, etc. All these 'commands' seem to 'work' but have no affect - never did go into DFU mode).

I've tried every fix online, but can't seem to get it to show up in iTunes to even just restore to original settings. Oddly, when I plug it into the TV, it displays the Apple Logo before turning off.

Did Xfinity brick my ATV2?

Sadly, I'm a great hands on tinkerer, but not very good with tech talk, so I apologize in advance for anything (everything) I've left out. Really concerned that I've ruined my beloved ATV2, and really missing my XBMC.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
You can't brick the ATV2, so I wouldn't worry too much.

"Xfinity" is a piece of garbage that XBMC.org has nothing to do with, and yeah, it does sometimes break things. However, I doubt it has caused this issue.

Sometimes getting into DFU mode is tricky. I remember this happening a lot when I jailbroke my ATV2 for the first time. It's also possible that the Micro USB cable is flaky, since the ATV2 draws power over it, and some cables use very very thin wires that don't provide enough power (at least that's one theory). Trying another cable, or even trying to get into DFU mode while the main power cable is plugged in, or just trying to get into DFU mode a few more times, will likely allow iTunes to see it again.
Now that you mention it, I have been suspicious that my micro USB didn't provide very much power, so that's a great place to start. Appreciate the reply, and will avoid Xfinity as I reput my XMBC together. Happy New Year!

And it worked perfectly. Amazing how one little cable can cause so much stress. Thx again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XFinity Crashed ATV2, now not recognized by iTunes0