Why is it not possible to record a stream?
I gather from various discussions that XBMC is not able to record streaming video. This is quite frankly a profound finding for me. On my list of things to expect from a media center, this was definitely on the top three.

Why? Is it techically impossible? If XBMC is able to generate a video output, it surely must be able to save it to disk?

I also see answers along the line of: "Well, the developer who made the addon could choose to provide that." But recording a video stream seems to me to be so universally desirable, that I simply don't understand why XBMC can't do this. Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Steen
There is no recording of any kind within XBMC at all.
It also does no transcoding of video at all.

Why not? Noone has written it. You want it? You write it! That is how open-source works.
You also need to consider that different videos, streams and such, have tons of variables within themselves. It might be very easy to do some kind of data dump of one kind of file, but maybe not with another, depending on the file and/or protocol being used.

XBMC's primary aim is a local library, so there really hasn't been a demand for being able to record files you already have. It's like of like the same reason most DVD players can't record.

That being said, it's like Kib says, it mostly just comes down to "no one has done it yet".
Some addons do let you download the file, like youtube.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
undefined

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is it not possible to record a stream?0