Any Android boxes that support hardware mpeg2?
So I'm tempted to get an Android box since I like the idea of being able to drop out of XBMC to access native Android apps like BBC Iplayer etc. but the problem it that we use the PVR functions of XBMC and it seems that MPEG2 hardware support is a bit lacking in the Android boxes.

I'm looking for something that is snappy in the menus and can handle live tv playback - Currently the RK3188 looks good value for money but I'm not sure the status of MPEG2 using libstagefright/mediacodec..

Anyone have any recommendations of some boxes that are known to support 1080p MPEG2 ?
AMLogic-based boxes seem to handle it just fine, and nightly builds (wiki) (and the future XBMC v13) use a single apk for AMLCodec, MediaCodec, and Libstagefright.

I've got an RK3188 in the mail right now, so I'll know in a few days, if no one beats me to it.
Awesome thanks for the info.
If I posted a short clip to dropbox would you mind testing it on the RK3188 when it arrives? - Those boxes seem like good value for the quad core performance but I'm not so sure on the hardware playback support.
If it can't do the LiveTV file then I guess I'll be heading down the AMLogic route Smile
I am also wondering what Android box can best be used for MPEG2 playback onto a big TV screen; in my case these are Live-TV files from a Mythtv backend.

It was solved for my Nexus 7 as XBMC device here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180220&page=2. And though it apparently plays back in software, it works very smooth, no glitches.
(2014-01-04, 10:23)Ned Scott Wrote: AMLogic-based boxes seem to handle it just fine, and nightly builds (wiki) (and the future XBMC v13) use a single apk for AMLCodec, MediaCodec, and Libstagefright.

I've got an RK3188 in the mail right now, so I'll know in a few days, if no one beats me to it.

Can I ask you what did you get?
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any Android boxes that support hardware mpeg2?0