Which PVR backend is the fastest for channel switching?
I ordered a HD Homerun and it will be here next week. Which of the backends have fast channel switching through XBMC?
I don't know about the HD Homerun but in general tvheadend (and likely VDR too) is hands down the fastest.
Mythtv is fast these days too thanks to the work of the people involved.
Has anyone tested the WMC channel switching? PVR is going to be on a windows box.
AFAIK all Windows backends are painfully slow. Any reason you have to use Windows?
ArgusTV with the Margro pre-builds of XBMC offer quick channel switching.

The initial tuning of the first channel is still a few seconds, but after that, it's almost instant.
slow channel switching doesn't have anything to do with the os, but with the implementation of the add-on.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
NextPVR is also quick with the Margro builds of XBMC. Most of my channel changes are about a second.
I also agree on Nextpvr having fairly quick channel changes with the margro build. Plus i find its the easiest frontend to use and set up and ive tried a few. So an added bonus.
(2014-01-06, 20:29)opdenkamp Wrote: slow channel switching doesn't have anything to do with the os, but with the implementation of the add-on.
To clarify this a bit: implementation here refers mainly to the way the demuxing (separation of the streams like audio/video/teletexts).

XBMC has currently two groups of PVR addons, those with an internal demuxer (TVHeadend, VDR-VNSI, XVDR and soon MythTV) and those without (all others like: ArgusTV, MediaPortal, NextPVR, MythTV).

The PVR addons with an internal demuxer have in general fast channel switches.
The PVR addons without demuxer rely on XBMC/ffmpeg for the demuxing which is considerably slower.

My test builds contain a few changes that speed-up the internal XBMC demuxing process for Live TV. These changes can be found in this pull request: PR3590. These changes have no effect for TVHeadend and VDR.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
(2014-01-06, 21:23)sub3 Wrote: NextPVR is also quick with the Margro builds of XBMC. Most of my channel channels are about a second.

Where can these builds be found?
googe is our friend: https://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcel...build.html
(2014-01-07, 02:36)macrho Wrote: googe is our friend: https://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcel...build.html

Not really but thanks for the link nonetheless. Smile
(2014-01-06, 22:42)margro Wrote:
(2014-01-06, 20:29)opdenkamp Wrote: slow channel switching doesn't have anything to do with the os, but with the implementation of the add-on.
To clarify this a bit: implementation here refers mainly to the way the demuxing (separation of the streams like audio/video/teletexts).

XBMC has currently two groups of PVR addons, those with an internal demuxer (TVHeadend, VDR-VNSI, XVDR and soon MythTV) and those without (all others like: ArgusTV, MediaPortal, NextPVR, MythTV).

The PVR addons with an internal demuxer have in general fast channel switches.
The PVR addons without demuxer rely on XBMC/ffmpeg for the demuxing which is considerably slower.

My test builds contain a few changes that speed-up the internal XBMC demuxing process for Live TV. These changes can be found in this pull request: PR3590. These changes have no effect for TVHeadend and VDR.

Thanks, that's some good info. So WMC doesn't have an internal demuxer? Also, I currently have 2 XBMC setups... 1 HTPC running Win 7 and a Pivos Xios. Am I correct in saying that I won't be able to use your builds with the Pivos? Would I basically be stuck with slow channel switching on that unit?
@jiggsaw: like he said, only tvheadend, VDR and some time in the future MythTV has an internal demuxer. You can get decent channel switch times on a Pivos if you use one of those backends.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which PVR backend is the fastest for channel switching?0