How long to rip a bluray over gigabit network using xbmc?
In the early stages of planning a xbmc box.

About how long does it take an xbmc i5 based box to rip a Blu-ray Disc to a nas over a gigabit network? I'm assuming the nas woud be using WD green drives in raid 5...

Just a couple minutes? 10? 20?

Thanks guys

Parker
xbmc has no ability to 'rip' a bluray
You'd need AnyDVD-HD, and it would depend mostly on the BD optical drives' read speed (slot slower vs. full 5.25" ones).
The network isn't going to be the limiting factor. It'll be the read speed as stated above, and also whether you want a straight 'like-for-like' rip (that'll be huge), or encode it to 720p MKV which will (very generally) give you a file of anywhere between 6-12GB depending on film length. 720p may be good enough if you have a TV of around 38" or less, 1080p would be better for larger screens.

There are a ton of guides on the 'net. Here's one...

http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray...-handbrake

It goes on about MP4 but I prefer MKV as I can use DTS/Dolby pass-through which is my preferred audio setting. They state a 'few' hours in the above guide and it takes me about 5 hours on an old Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM to create a good quality 720p with HandBrake. I usually set them off before I go to bed...
I'm going to be using a 70" TV. Space to store the rips is a non issue. Also, preserving the audio streams is a must because I'm running a high end stereo system.

What is more common? To rip the entire image to .iso, or to rip the 1080p stream using MKV?

Thanks for your help guys. It's much appreciated.
If space is a non-issue, then I believe doing a straight .ISO rip is actually quicker as you're not doing any encoding. However (and someone else may need to step in here) I'm not sure of XBMC's Blu-Ray ISO compatibility so you'd need to check that.

I don't think commonality is an issue. My preference is for MKV 720p as I have a small TV and 1080p would be negligible, plus my storage space would soon fill up with straight rips. Given you've got quite the hefty TV, and no space issues, then I'd go for straight rips if feasible...I think you're looking at 40/50GB+ for those (depending on whether you want to keep special features and so on).

Give AnyDVD-HD a whirl alongside HandBrake. You can get it for free for 30 days (HandBrake itself is entirely free) before you have to buy it. I'd try a straight rip and a 1080p encode (using audio pass-through of your preferred stream). You can then judge the time vs quality factor of both audio and visual quality and decide what's best for you.
Generally people tend to do their own thing. Just pick the option that suits you the most.

I go for somewhere in the middle. ISO has too much fluff and is harder to work with than a simple file. A re-encode loses quality.
On my 100" 1080p PJ screen the difference is there no matter how negligible.
Storage isn't really an issue but I don't want a load of unwanted extras and audio tracks on my server wasting space.

I rip uncompressed blu-ray to .ts (tsMuxer) or 3D blu-ray to .mkv (MakeMKV) with eng HD audio and eng subs.

Depends on the disc but it tends to get a 50GB blu-ray down to about 40ish by removing extras and unwanted audio tracks.

It does take a little longer than a simple 1:1 rip although not by much.
I use dvdfab. Simple and easy to use. Haven't come across a disc it couldn't rip.

I copy DVD into its video-ts format and bluray into mt2s format. All work fine

Www.dvdfab.com
@JesusOnEez: He could also use MakeMKV instead of creating a full *.iso image. MakeMKV doesn't do any encoding at all, it just puts the video and audio streams into the Matroska container. so speed shouldn't be an issue with this method either. the read speed of the BD drive really is the limiting factor as stated above. most of the drives I've seen have a limited read speed of 2.5x because of there default (anti-piracy) firmware. this can be fixed with a custom firmware if there's one available, but it will obviously void your warranty (who cares Big Grin )
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
I use MakeMKV for doing mine. I keep the video and English audio+sub titles and ignore the rest. It takes about 15-25 mins to rip a disc. I don't bother doing any re-encoding so you tend to end up with MKVs ranging between 20-35GB.
Server: HP 8200usdt | Core i7-2500S | 16GB Crucial DDR3-1333 | Seagate 750GB Hybrid HDD | Oracle VirtualBox host for virtual machines (XBMC database etc.)
NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 | 4x3TB WD RED (8.1TB RAID 5)
HTPC: Shuttle SH67H3 | Pentium G860 | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 64GB Crucial M4 SSD | XBMC with AEON NOX skin | Windows 7 Home 32-bit
See http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=110 tons of how-tos

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How long to rip a bluray over gigabit network using xbmc?1