Req Customise Menu
Hi

I don't know if this has been suggested before.

But how about the possibility to make 2 or 3 own menu entries? Like Pictures, Videos, Movies and so on. Make it possible to enable these customised menu entries one by one, and give them a customised name like "Concerts" and then link it to a folder or share?

Cheers
See Custom_home_items (wiki) and Comparison_of_skin_features (wiki)
Hi jjd-uk

Thanks for the link. That does it. A shame that the standard skin isn't customisable like AEON NOX and so on...

Cheers
The idea is to keep the default skin simple to prevent the number of options becoming too overwhelming to anyone who is new.

There are modified versions of Confluence that do allow Custom Home Items if you prefer to look of the default skin, have a look at this forum http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=125
ok thanks. Seems logical
also, as of the upcoming Gotham release, skins can use addons to generate their menus and IIRC there is already the "skin shortcuts" addon which basically should allow every skin using it to do provide custom menu shortcuts with ease. And best thing is that those shortcuts would be shared accross skins AFAIK. This was at least the main intention when this feature was added to Gotham.
My thinking is along the same lines as the original topic poster...

The Confluence skin is great (I think I like it more than Aeon Nox) but there's just too much detail.

What I'd like to be able to do is associate a look or set of menu choices with each "user profile" so that the default starts up only showing "playback" menu items and the "manager" login lets me install new add-ons, update the library, etc.

Actually, I think I dislike Aeon Nox so much (compared to confluence) that it will last about as long as it has taken me to post this reply!

The goal here is simple...

I want to be able to "login" to XBMC to update it, manage content, etc...

But I want to be able to give visitors, family, kids, etc, the remote and let them browse or play content.

Heck, most of the time I want to go into XBMC and just see the "playback" menu items and none of the "add file", "system", etc.

So I suspect that what I want is an add-on that lets me tie what's presented in the menus to xbmc logins?
Or to think of it differently, create a new profile and then find an appropriate skin?

And additionally another one (or the same one) that lets me associate different content with each login. That then lets me give the 7 yr old a login for it and they'll see Toy Story movies but not Batman: Dark knight, and so on. Separate media libraries (already supported by profiles) would be one way to achieve that. However to do that would mean that the profile rights would have to have access to add/remove content from its library, else how would the library be populated or updated since it is private to each profile and thus there would be no way to stop a 7 yr old adding "Sin City" to their library if I'd removed it earlier... is that accurate?
@floatingclouf, try skin aeon mq5, have 10 presets for main menu, custom main menu is very good (more 2400 items), and change one preset for any other is easy 1 step only.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Well MQ5 set a bad impression on install as it sat there for 20 seconds or so doing and saying nothing. It continued to set a bad impression by the first picture I see being "No. 5" from BSG - I'm thinking these guys don't get that parents might want something easy that they'll feel comfortable letting their kids use. Then there was the inconsistency in the way the movie library was presented depending on how I accessed it and no easy way to make them all the same.

I don't really care if a skin has 1001 options or 10001 options. What I care about is what I want to do being "simple."

For example..

- being able to say "profile X" can view content from "playlist A" for movies, "playlist B" for TV and listen to "playlist C" for audio. And nothing else. And when I mean nothing else, I mean nothing else - no settings changes, no adding or removing content or anything else.

Consider this: your design challenge is to present an interface that a child between the age of 5 and 10 is going to be given the remote control for (once they login, nobody is going to be there to navigate xbmc for them.) How do you enable them to make safe use of xbmc whilst at the same time giving their parents both administrative control as well as profile that is "view only" for all content?
So far "Confluence Modified" seems to come the closest to what I want to do in an easy fashion.
(2014-01-06, 22:20)da-anda Wrote: also, as of the upcoming Gotham release, skins can use addons to generate their menus and IIRC there is already the "skin shortcuts" addon which basically should allow every skin using it to do provide custom menu shortcuts with ease. And best thing is that those shortcuts would be shared accross skins AFAIK. This was at least the main intention when this feature was added to Gotham.

I dont see a corresponding feature in Default skin or did I miss it entirely?
nope, nobody added support for it to Confluence and it's arguable we'll add a dependency to a not yet well tested (and foreign) addon to the default skin which just has to work and perform well. So let's just skip this for Gotham and wait a bit
Although whilst testing it I did hack it quickly into Confluence to see how it works - https://github.com/unfledged/xbmc
Default Confluence will never depend on any addon.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Customise Menu0