Which of these Remotes should I use?
So I have been insearch for a remote for my new HTPC setup. A little background on my setup and goals for use. I have taken my spare desktop PC running a AMD Phenom II X4 2.8 GHz cpu, with 8GB of RAM and a Nvidia EVGA GTS450. Its running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a 70GB SSD and hasa 1TB storage drive. I am a big TV watcher and have finally gotten rid of my comcast DVR and replaced it with the desktop running XBMC with the WMC PVR addon. I just couldn't take the limited storage on the DVR and its old looking and buggy interface. Plus I wanted some flexibility in my TV watching device especially if I could get rid of commericials for recorded TV. My desktop is in another room with a 20ft HDMI cable running to my TV in the living room. Currently I use a wireless keyboard to control XBMC but I'm getting tired of using such a big device to change the channel and people visiting my place don't know how to control my setups. So I'm looking for a remote.

I kind of need this remote to be wireless since my computer is in another room making it a really long USB run for an IR receiver. At the same time I haven't ruled out IR based remotes either. What I would really love is a remote in the form factor of a Harmony One that can have its buttons programmed to work over Bluetooth or IR based on your setup. I also need all the basic buttons for controlling media play back and live TV (Channel +/-m volume, play,stop, skip, etc.). With that said I have found the following 4 remotes that best meet my needs.

- PS3 Media remote (with Channel and Volume buttons)
- Tivo Slide Pro remote
- Rii i13 Air Mouse remote
- Logitech Harmony 900 (used on eBay)

Right now I have been thinking of getting the Ps3 remote as its the cheapest but I heard that sucker eats through batteries. I think there is a batch script out there that eventghost can run to hibernate the remote when you need it but I'm not sure how responsive the remote is when you try to wake it up. The Tivo Slide looks great, I love that it has a keyboard and that its bluetooth but I really need a Stop button and its a little on the expensive side. The Rii i13 looks great and is nice and small, but the lack of documentation and support as well as the cheap plastics. I've had a Harmony One which broke about a year ago. Loved that remote. The Harmony 900 is the same remote but RF, however you still need the converter station to convert the RF signal to an IR signal and I would also need a USB IR receiver to converter the IR signal to a USB signal. The Harmony 900 is a great remote but expensive (easily +$100 more than the Tivo remote) and it needs extra hardware to work with the HTPC.

So what remote should I go with? Have you guys used another remote that is not listed which meets my needs?

FYI, I do plan on using Eventghost to give me some more functionality where needed.
I have a PS3 media remote. If you want it to control your TV then you need to make sure your TV brand is on the list in the remote's manual. And it only supports Sony branded receivers, which is a bummer. Otherwise it's great, and super cheap. I run mine with Openelec, which has the hibernate feature built into their XBMC configuration add-on. The batteries seem fine so far but I've only owned it for a couple of weeks. I don't know how the hibernate feature works in other XBMC distributions like Windows.
How about a new Harmony One and a Harmony bluetooth adaptor? Or better yet, a Harmony Smart or Ultimate? That way you will get less lag than the One, not to say the 900, and a very nice remote to control everything you need. I own the Smart remote myself, and my family is happily using this single remote that controls everything hassle free. The Ultimate is a bit too expensive for my taste, but still it must be a better deal than the pricy 900.
(2014-01-06, 23:38)awp0 Wrote: I have a PS3 media remote. If you want it to control your TV then you need to make sure your TV brand is on the list in the remote's manual. And it only supports Sony branded receivers, which is a bummer. Otherwise it's great, and super cheap. I run mine with Openelec, which has the hibernate feature built into their XBMC configuration add-on. The batteries seem fine so far but I've only owned it for a couple of weeks. I don't know how the hibernate feature works in other XBMC distributions like Windows.

Yea I have an LG 47LE8500. I bleieve the PS3 remote supports LG. Sucks that this remote can only contorl sony receivers when trying to change the volume. At the same time I'm not too upset about it as my receiver is super old and was a pretty cheap thing. Bought myself a Best Buy Brand Insignia 6.1 600w receiver back in 2005. Its been pretty good to me over the years especially now that I have upgraded to the speakers to a nice Jamo 5.1 setup. Right now I have all my video inputs going to my TV and having the TV output optical audio to my receiver so all I need is volume control. I'll have to do some digging about hibernating the remote with Windows 7. Thanks for the input.

(2014-01-07, 00:48)Torroa Wrote: How about a new Harmony One and a Harmony bluetooth adaptor? Or better yet, a Harmony Smart or Ultimate? That way you will get less lag than the One, not to say the 900, and a very nice remote to control everything you need. I own the Smart remote myself, and my family is happily using this single remote that controls everything hassle free. The Ultimate is a bit too expensive for my taste, but still it must be a better deal than the pricy 900.

So I do have a Harmony Ps3 Bluetooth adapter that I used with my old Harmony one and my PS3. I haven't heard of anyone getting the adapter working to control windows or some form of media center software on windows. Do you have it working? Would I have to create a Eventghost plugin to get it to work? Will it support channel changes and volume up commands (I'm planning to get a networkable AVR).

I agree with you, the Ultimate is way too expensive at $350USD.

The one thing I really like about the harmony remotes is the premium feeling materials and the great ergonomics designed into the remote. They're always a pleasure to hold in my hand. I mean if I can get the PS3 BT adapter to work them I will be getting anoter Harmony remote.
Use PC as a fileserver.
Get rid of 20ft long HDMI cable.

Purchase cubox-i2ultra for $100. Run geexbox (xbmc) on it.
Place next to tv.
Get a $50 Harmony 650 remote.
The PS3 Bluetooth adapter works just fine with a computer. The new Harmony Hub with build in bluetooth does also work nicely. Check out this thread for Windows or this one if you are using OpenElec or Ubuntufor more info
They also make HDMI cables with IR repeaters built in. That would allow you to use any remote:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...4&format=2
(2014-01-06, 22:40)Talguy Wrote: - PS3 Media remote (with Channel and Volume buttons)
- Tivo Slide Pro remote
- Rii i13 Air Mouse remote
- Logitech Harmony 900 (used on eBay)

Finding the perfect remote is an expensive and painful task. Last year I spent over $1000 on remotes, hundreds of hours researching and trying them out, and took more than an earful from my wife about how painful it was to use our television.
I have direct experience with 3 of the 4 devices you mention. All my experience is with Linux, not Windows.
PS3 Remote: Chews through batteries at a ridiculous rate. I replaced them with rechargables, had to recharge almost every night.
Tivo Slide: I had the original remote (and I authored the documentation for it on the XBMC wiki). Best. Remote. Ever. I loved it, wish my son hadn't broke it. From what I can tell, the new "Pro" version of it is very comparable to the original. If you have a simple setup (TV plus XBMC) it is fantastic. It's not really flexible enough to control more devices than that (game consoles, receiver, roku, etc.). It's based on bluetooth, so the range is only good within one room - it won't work through walls.
Harmony 900: This is what I use now. It's mildly flexible, I almost can get it to do everything I want. It has a TON of lag, scrolling through lists is painful. My wife likes it pretty well. Note that this remote is discontinued, so when it dies (they all do) you're going to be searching for a new remote solution again.

My recommendation (i.e. what I'm going to do myself):
1. If your setup is simple, give the Tivo Slide Pro a shot. You mention it's expensive, I can assure you it's not. $50 is a steal compared to a Harmony 900.
2. If you want an off the shelf solution, just bite the bullet and get the new Harmony smart home thingy. Like all Harmony's before it - it sucks, but it's still the best prosumer level remote. The vast majority (imo) of XBMC users eventually land on a Harmony model.
3. Roll your own smartphone/tablet based remote with a Global Caché iTach for $100 plus another $50 for iRule. I've been experimenting with this for a year now, and never seem to get the time to finish it.
(2014-01-07, 17:47)joelbaby Wrote: Use PC as a fileserver.
Get rid of 20ft long HDMI cable.

Purchase cubox-i2ultra for $100. Run geexbox (xbmc) on it.
Place next to tv.
Get a $50 Harmony 650 remote.

I'm pretty new to XBMC and just started using it about a month ago even though I have been reading up on it for years. I didn't want to full invest myself into it if I found it wasn't the solution for me hence why I bought I long HDMI cable as that can be reused and it seemed the safest and cheapest solution for me then running a server client setup. I kind of am running a server client setup as my desktop is now a full time HTPC/XBMC-server connected to my TV that servers up live tv on the network as well as serves its library via upnp. My laptop is the client the consumes Live tv, has its own library and consumes the desktops library via upnp.

(2014-01-07, 19:44)Torroa Wrote: The PS3 Bluetooth adapter works just fine with a computer. The new Harmony Hub with build in bluetooth does also work nicely. Check out this thread for Windows or this one if you are using OpenElec or Ubuntufor more info

Thanks you're the man, I did some searching also and found that PS3BlueMote is the software to use. I may just go down this road as I loved my Harmony One remote. Even more interesting is I found this python library (LINKY and LINKY2) that allows you to control your devices with a PC using the a Logitech Smart Hub as your IR blaster. Now I just need to save up and get my Python skills up to par.

(2014-01-07, 19:53)00b5 Wrote: They also make HDMI cables with IR repeaters built in. That would allow you to use any remote:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...4&format=2

I've never seen those. That is definitely a viable option. My only concern is I have one of Monoprices Red-mere cables which are uni-directional for video and audio stream but I'm not sure about CEC. This would definitely be cool just wish you could use these and CEC at the same time. O well I won't get a CEC control setup up and running for a long time. Simple first expensive later is what I like to say.

(2014-01-07, 22:48)teaguecl Wrote: Finding the perfect remote is an expensive and painful task. Last year I spent over $1000 on remotes, hundreds of hours researching and trying them out, and took more than an earful from my wife about how painful it was to use our television.
I have direct experience with 3 of the 4 devices you mention. All my experience is with Linux, not Windows.
PS3 Remote: Chews through batteries at a ridiculous rate. I replaced them with rechargables, had to recharge almost every night.
Tivo Slide: I had the original remote (and I authored the documentation for it on the XBMC wiki). Best. Remote. Ever. I loved it, wish my son hadn't broke it. From what I can tell, the new "Pro" version of it is very comparable to the original. If you have a simple setup (TV plus XBMC) it is fantastic. It's not really flexible enough to control more devices than that (game consoles, receiver, roku, etc.). It's based on bluetooth, so the range is only good within one room - it won't work through walls.
Harmony 900: This is what I use now. It's mildly flexible, I almost can get it to do everything I want. It has a TON of lag, scrolling through lists is painful. My wife likes it pretty well. Note that this remote is discontinued, so when it dies (they all do) you're going to be searching for a new remote solution again.

My recommendation (i.e. what I'm going to do myself):
1. If your setup is simple, give the Tivo Slide Pro a shot. You mention it's expensive, I can assure you it's not. $50 is a steal compared to a Harmony 900.
2. If you want an off the shelf solution, just bite the bullet and get the new Harmony smart home thingy. Like all Harmony's before it - it sucks, but it's still the best prosumer level remote. The vast majority (imo) of XBMC users eventually land on a Harmony model.
3. Roll your own smartphone/tablet based remote with a Global Caché iTach for $100 plus another $50 for iRule. I've been experimenting with this for a year now, and never seem to get the time to finish it.

You're exactly the person I have been waiting to hear from. I have been leaning toward the Tivo Slide Pro. I never saw it for anywhere around $50 buck but then again I haven't been looking hard enough and I have been searching for the Pro version. I have looked into going with a Tablet based system. I think they're awesome and present a beautiful interface to the end user since they could have two communication, but in the end I am really striving for simple and crave tactile feed back. When it comes to remotes and media centers we all judge based on the WAF well I'm not married but I do have a girlfriend so my control scheme has to meet her needs first. Later down the road I could make a special remote just for myself. Call it the God remote, Master remote or just the Man of the House's remote. Even though right now I have ruled out the Tablet/phone as a remote concept I have ruled out the Global Cache products. I think they look awesome and I am trying to centralize my control system on my HTPC so it make future expandability easier when I decide to add a Tablet or Phone running some kind of remote software or even open up my control system so I can operate it when I'm not connected to my local network.

Sorry for all the long and opinionated responses but I am by trade a Controls Engineer developing power plant systems that need to be simple to the end user. Its just second nature for me to go through a long and detailed down select process based on my requirements and the potential of a device before actually buying something. I don't feel like wasting my money if I don't have too. I have about made my decision and its between another Harmony remote or the Tivo Slide Pro.

Edit: Disregard the never finding the Tico Slide Pro for $50. I swore Tivo was selling this remote for $80 but I looked again and I can get it new from Tivo directly for $50.
Ok an update on my decision. I have decided to go with a Tivo Slide Pro as I found it any key on the remote can be programmed to send commands via IR or RF which is one of my dream/goal requirements (Proof). I will also buy a HP MCE IR Receiver/Blaster USB device and make my pseudo Logitech smart hub with EventGhost.

I have a few questions about the MCE blaster. I know the blaster has two emitter ports on the back side of it, are these ports idividual addressable in eventghost to allow me to set up two independent IR zones? The second question is whats the maximum length emitter I can plug into the MCE Blaster device?
(2014-01-08, 23:46)Talguy Wrote: ... I found it any key on the remote can be programmed to send commands via IR or RF...
This is not true. Only some of the keys can be programmed to use with IR. The ones I know work with IR are Volume Up/Down and Power. I think maybe one or two others. The keyboard keys ('a' through 'z') absolutely do NOT work via IR - they only work via bluetooth.
Ok. I still like how I can configure select buttons to work over rf or ir. I'd rather have it all work over rf.
Hi - can you give an update on your remote? I am considering the same one - have always loved the classic Tivo peanut remote and I feel like this would be perfect for the kids and high WAF.
Sure thing, I just ordered the Tivo Slide Pro last week now that it is back in stock and I had some spare dough to shell out for a remote. I don't have it yet but when I do I'll update this thread with how I like it and possible my configuration file.
(2014-02-17, 22:08)MoistCowbell Wrote: Hi - can you give an update on your remote? I am considering the same one - have always loved the classic Tivo peanut remote and I feel like this would be perfect for the kids and high WAF.

Now that my work life ahs died down I'll post my review of the slide pro. I still haven't fully programed/configured this remote yet even though I have owned it for a month. Still trying to figure out the best software package to use to configure the remote to how I want to use it.

This remote is small. Its about a 1/3 shorter than a comcast settop remote, half as skinny but thicker all the way around. Yet it feels better in my hand. I have a sizable hand and I don't have to stretch to reach any of the buttons on this remote. The comcast remote I had to reach for a few of the buttons. Same goes for old R.I.P. harmony one remote. The build quality of this remote is fantasic. I love the backlight buttons when trying to control the HTPC in a dark room. The slide keybaord slides out with a confidence instilling clunking telling you it won't flop around. Currently I have been controlling my HTPC via logitech wireless keyboard while it worked well the range lacked sometimes (HTPC is 15ft away in another room) and it was not user friend when I had guests over. With the Tivo remote range does not seem to be a problem especially when sending commands through the wall to my computer in another room.

There were two buttons on this remote that I had to create work arounds for in order to be able to program them. The first was the guide button. Out of the box when the guide button is pressed it would launch WMC in EPG view mode. I had to create a macro in Eventghost to monitor if the "ehshell.exe" process was starting up. If it was eventghost would run the following command "C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM ehshell.exe /T". This command will kill wmc and prevent it from taken focus away from XBMC when the guide button is pressed. Now WMC was taken care of I was freely able to map the button to the XBMC launch guide action. The second button I had trouble with was the search button on the keyboard face. Out of the box when this button is pressed it will launch the Windows 7 search window. Similar to the WMC problem, this window would launch and take focus away from XBMC. To resolve this problem I had to disable the Human Interface Device Access service in windows. Sadly this did not resolve the WMC problem either, I tested it. Once this service was disabled I was able to mapp this button to a JSON-RPC comman using the latest test build of the XBMC2 plugin in eventghost. The JSON command I mapped the button too, tells XBMC to launch the Global Search plugin. Now I have a fully functional Guide button and Search button on my remote.

With the major headaches out of the way I am very pleased with this remote. I finally have the control scheme that even the girlfriend is accepting XBMC and doesn't find it scary or complicated anymore. Hell I was even able to program this remote to send out IR commands to turn my TV on/off (I can also set it up to turn the TV and AVR on/off witht he same button) as well as sending IR commands to the AVR to raise or lower the volume. There are still about 3 or 4 minor buttons I can not access and remap via eventghost. I don't mind as they're buttons that have duplicates on the the remote face of the remote.

Overall this was defintiely worth the money.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which of these Remotes should I use?0