spreading TV Shows over multiple drives
First, I have searched and read numerous threads on organizing the library, but most of those deal with how to name, rename, etc. I've got all that working. I'm currently running an XBMC "server" which has all the files, and an XBMC "client" which uses them. I had started out with both functions on the same system, but had to split them for various irrelevant reasons. When I split them, I migrated to a MySQL setup with smb-mounted shares (yes, nfs is better but my client is Win 8 laptop and I couldn't find a free nfs client for Win 8.)

The setup is working, but my primary xbmc library system is dying. I've considered a number of options, but funds are non-existent at present and building something new isn't an option. So I plan to re-distribute the files between an external on the so-called client and my primary desktop. The desktop is what runs sickbeard and sabnzbd.

At present my TV Shows are divided into a few genre folders. When I set it up, it seemed the easiest way to spread it across the available disks/partitions. But I've come to realize that it's completely unnecessary to separate by genre... better to let XBMC do it. I've also found that some genres grow to exceed their initial space, and then it's a scramble for where to put them. I'd like to simplify. However, the TV Shows still exceed the capacity of any disk/partition available.

So... how do you split across drives? What strategies are folks using? I think I've seen some examples of breaking into alphabet chunks (a-e, f-k, etc) but that seems like it would still be prone to growth vs space issues - what strategies do you use for expanding?

I'd like some ideas before I start migrating anything, but I'm really coming up empty. Best idea I've got is to just do Lib1, Lib2, etc and fill to near-capacity starting with the smallest disks and most-static, ended shows first, leaving the biggest disks for current/continuing shows. Anyone got any ideas about how such a plan could bite me, or what about it I'd hate down the road?

Anyone got a better idea? Any suggestions/comments are welcome.
The divide between complete shows and incomplete is exactly how I do it. Complete go on the older disks because I figure there'll be less IO going on there.
Your plan seems reasonable. I have shows across 4 disks, with single shows spread across at least 3 of those. XBMC only shows a single version of that show in the library, ofcourse. (There is some disadvantages to do with this, primarily if you browse by file rather than via the library, and possibly with "Refreshing" the show, as it's technically associated with the first path primarily - not sure if it refreshes all paths if the show is on multiple paths).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I use aufs (Linux) to pool my folders together. That way I get to use the total space of all drives (aufs balances where to put new files via various options), I don't have to work out which drive has enough space for x amount of episodes and just point cp/sb/etc to the pooled folders and let aufs take care of the rest and I just have to share one folder in samba for all my TV shows/movies. If you want you still have access to the underlying pooled folders if need be.
Thanks for the responses, it's good to know my plan isn't completely insane. Simple is kind of a new concept for me... I'm just not used to relying on the software for organization. Must be an age thing, I guess. I didn't know you could split a single show across spindles, good to know it's possible in a pinch. teeedubb, your aufs sounds great but I haven't made the move away from windows yet. One of these days....
I just keep shows that are in progress or haven't been viewed on one drive folder, keeps the collection nice and tight, all the rest get off-lineTV show status deleted from the main library and get accessed in pseudo-file mode thanks to T! over 3 drives. 6 Years from now, these off-line series will look good again.
I use flexraid to pool my drives, then folders can be split across multiple physical disks but still show up as one folder on one drive
I have two sources set up for TV Series. One is for ended series like Buffy, Little Britain, The Young Ones and so on where nothing is likely to ever change. I have this source set so that it never gets scanned again. The other is for ongoing shows like Peep Show, Elementary, Defiance and so on, and this gets scanned as and when SickBeard notified XBMC of new content.

I have more complete shows than in-progress shows (I have a large DVD collection and things like Buffy take up a fair chunk of space). The complete shows are all stored on a 3TB external drive plugged into my NAS, and the NAS itself stores the in-progress stuff which takes up less room. I only keep what I'm likely to watch again. So shows like Burn Notice, which I want to follow, get watched then deleted as I feel one watch will be enough.
question - on a disk that is only storing completed shows where nothing is going to change (ie collections that won't be deleted) how full can you go? 95% capacity? more? less? the old tech in me wants wiggle room but do I really need it?

PatK - what is T!? (am I being stupid for asking?)

aaronb - are you pooling and raiding or just pooling? or is that pooling with parity? I haven't ventured into raid-world since my disks tend to be a rather eclectic collection and my experience of raid was that it preferred or required identical members. Granted, my experience is from last century...

JesusOnEez - sounds like what I'm trying to work toward, so thanks for the feedback! Good to know it's a sound plan.
With XBMC, multiple sources will be shown in the single unified library.

You could consider drive pooling on your server, using something like Stablebit DrivePool, which I use on my server. I have 2x 3TB drives and 1x 2TB drive in one large pool, which is 7.21TB of usable space - all accessible by a single drive letter/share. I don't need to worry about what goes where, it sorts it all out in the background. Adding a drive is a click of a button, and removing drives is also a click of a button - anything that's on the drive you're removing will get automatically moved onto the other drives in the pool.

You can set down to a single folder to be duplicated across multiple disks, too, so you have loads of flexibility with how YOU store YOUR data.

In terms of management, you just have a single "drive" with everything on, and no need to worry about running out of space on your "completed shows" drive, because you're not making that differentiation of your data.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
spreading TV Shows over multiple drives0