• 6(current)
Video of my ambient lighting setup
(2014-02-16, 01:06)nickr Wrote: The weird thing is that on my strip (which should be the same as yours, I bought it off the same page!) the male connector is at the end with the extra power lines, and the female connector (the one shown as the 'input' end on the adafruit page, the smaller connector with the triangular 'arms') is at the other end with no extra power lines.

If I connect power to either end, one (and only one) led lights up, at the male end with the extra power wires.

Nick, confused.

Also I bought a leostick, not a leonardo, as it is said to be compatible, but has a smaller form factor. Trouble is it comes with the headers separate so I'll have to solder them on, so much for a solderless build.

Nick, frustrated, and owner of a brand new soldering iron.

If I remember correctly, just applying power will not light the whole strip. You need to tell it to through the board. As long as you are connecting the board to the input end, it doesn't matter where the extra power wires are. I'm applying power to both ends and the folks at adafruit actually recommend applying it at multiple points. Maybe different lots of strips are different?

Good luck soldering. It might be easier to solder the wires than soldering the headers on.
OK wahoo I have it working - well the adalight sketch lights up red then green then blue.

Hell they are bright aren't they?

Soldering went OK, not the most professional I have ever seen, but I didn't say i was a pro!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-02-16, 02:09)nickr Wrote: OK wahoo I have it working - well the adalight sketch lights up red then green then blue.

Hell they are bright aren't they?

Soldering went OK, not the most professional I have ever seen, but I didn't say i was a pro!

I'm glad it went well. They seem very bright looking right at them, less so after mounting.

After you download and setup AmbiBox: http://www.ir-max.ru/download.php?filena..._2.1.4.zip
The latest version of the plugin for XBMC can be downloaded here: https://github.com/AmbiBox/AmbiBox-XBMC/...master.zip
I have boblight set up and working, so far as I can tell given the LEDs are still on the reel.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
hoped to get everything today,
but still missing my power adapter and the power splitter cable,
i did get my ledstrip today (same company that would send the power adapter)
but the nice part of the led-strip is that they got all the plugs already on it,
shame i need to shorten it
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-02-22, 15:28)TRaSH Wrote: hoped to get everything today,
but still missing my power adapter and the power splitter cable,
i did get my ledstrip today (same company that would send the power adapter)
but the nice part of the led-strip is that they got all the plugs already on it,
shame i need to shorten it

Nice! You may be able to cut out a section and rejoin it so that you keep the plugs.
i was just measuring it,
think i will do it that way.
about 24-25 leds on the top 12-13 on the side and 2x10-11 leds on the bottom (only got a 40" TV now Sad )

i was just checking your diagram,
seems i don't need the second powerplug on it,
because i need to wire it to the Leonardo,
so then i only need to use the other connector on it with the jumper cables

or would it be enough to use the powerplug on the led strip and the grnd from the led strip with a jumper cable to the Leonardo ?
so leaving out 1 and 3 ?
Just make sure that the ground from the power supply connects to the ground on the Leonardo somewhere. I didn't check that there is continuity between the pin ground and the power wire ground. If there is then that extra step isn't needed.
when i got the power supply and my split cable i will give it a try and leave out 1-3,
and just connect 2. with a jumper cable
of the looks of it they are connected anyway on the ledstrip.
They should be, I just didn't verify and I read many people have flickering issues if the grounds aren't all connected with each other.
i just read the following intresting thing on adafruit confirming your setup
DIGITAL LED STRIP READ ME FIRST!

i'm now reading into the Ambibox now,
how to setup etc.

found a screenshot where someone didn't use the corner adapters but he just bended the stript in the corners
I find my leds are very flickery if power is not supplied to both ends.
just to be sure,
the ledstrip has arrows on it so i presume that's where you connect the arduino the start of the cable (input).
(2014-01-23, 02:57)KenV99 Wrote:
(2014-01-23, 00:35)puttepep Wrote: Thank you for the information KenV99!
I have ordered pieces and is planning on building something similar to what you have done. Would you mind posting a picture how you hooked up the LED with magnets and how you handled the corners without cutting the LED in different parts? I was planning on buying heat resistant 3M tape but magnets would probably be better.

Thanks in advance!

It's kinda imprecise:

Sorry for the bad pic. That's a difficult spot to take a pic of. The ones on the bottom have a twisty tie to keep them there.

I love the idea of using magnets on the corners. Are there any risks to the TV from the magnets?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0