• 3(current)
Video of my ambient lighting setup
(2014-01-25, 01:08)KenV99 Wrote: I agree that in certain scenes, the LED's can be distracting, but, for me, some of it was the novelty. I couldn't even approach the wife for help with this kind of thing :/

Same here... I love seeing the look on eoples faces when they see it for the first time, then after a few seconds they realise that its in sync with the tv. Before xmas there was a sony stall at the shops that were flogging these 'next gen' speakers with led's that lit up to the beat... the missus and I had a good chuckle at that.

Quote:Damn, I already used to throw bangin parties, and I'd always have either music vids or a crazy visualizer on my 70 inch TV, but having the LED light show to go with would have been cool. Wish I had thought of that, I'm now very interested in getting one of these set up.

Visualistions + boblight is my favourite aspect of the backlighting, well worth the $100-150 it costs to setup.
I like the setup. Looks great! Right before you posted your videos, I had just pulled the trigger on a strip of the WS2812b with the controller integrated into the 5050 package. I'm currently using a 10 zone setup with a couple TLC5490's and an arduino uno but am moving and the TV will be hung so no room for the control box anymore and all the wires required for that setup. I'm hoping ill be able to go the same route software wise that you did because that is exactly the way I've wanted to set them up. So are you just running the Ambibox software and plugin or is there more there?
(2014-01-25, 07:07)LazerBlue Wrote: I like the setup. Looks great! Right before you posted your videos, I had just pulled the trigger on a strip of the WS2812b with the controller integrated into the 5050 package. I'm currently using a 10 zone setup with a couple TLC5490's and an arduino uno but am moving and the TV will be hung so no room for the control box anymore and all the wires required for that setup. I'm hoping ill be able to go the same route software wise that you did because that is exactly the way I've wanted to set them up. So are you just running the Ambibox software and plugin or is there more there?

Just AmbiBox, but I personally haven't tried using the software for the Arduino available to drive the WS2811 or WS2812's with AmbiBox. If you are successful with using the libraries for your strips with AmbiBox, please let me know. A strip upgrade might be in order for me... Smile

(2014-01-25, 00:37)nickr Wrote: I had originally envisaged the light strip lying flat against the back of the TV, shining backwards and reflecting off the wall. Pointing how you have them makes more sense and makes it much simpler to turn the corners. The hooks could leave it all a bit loose, and I will explore some gentle tensioning, perhaps with some sewing elastic.

Anyway I have ordered my lights, how long did it take for yours to turn up?

These or something similar might work for you making 90 degree turns if you decide to mount facing directly backwards from the screen: http://www.amazon.com/L-shape-4-conducto...d_sim_e_15

I was more concerned because I have cherry wood to reflect the light back towards the viewer. If your screen is mounted on a light colored wall, it may be less of an issue.
Maybe one of you lighting guys can help me figure out the right path. Hopefully its not a thread hijack.

I simply want to have a single color (warm white) LED strip that provides ambient light while browsing movies, then dims to off when I hit play. Lighting back up on pause.

What is the simplest hardware/software combo?
philips Hue lamps with the xbmc add-on,
it dims your light when playing a movie and lights up when pausing.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-01-25, 15:05)TRaSH Wrote: philips Hue lamps with the xbmc add-on,
it dims your light when playing a movie and lights up when pausing.

Thanks. I'll look into it, maybe that addon can be adapted for an LED strip.
philips hue lighting set also has a led strip variant,
it also is able to set different colors for it.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
A little pricey for me. I had more in mind to use a strip I already own, power from PC. Just need to control a dimmer.
(2014-01-25, 14:34)whitebelly Wrote: Maybe one of you lighting guys can help me figure out the right path. Hopefully its not a thread hijack.

I simply want to have a single color (warm white) LED strip that provides ambient light while browsing movies, then dims to off when I hit play. Lighting back up on pause.

What is the simplest hardware/software combo?

You can do this with WS2801 strips and an Arduino with AmbiBox, but I am sure that is not the cheapest way and would require a few changes to the AmbiBox XBMC Addon that I could do if you decide to go this route. Since you only want one color, you could possibly buy a much cheaper type of strip and might not need the Arduino. But I don't know exactly how you would setup the control mechanism.
I'll try the arduino and wire up a MOSFET interface. I found a good deal on ebay. Once I get that going, I may come back with some code questions. Thanks.
(2014-01-25, 11:54)KenV99 Wrote: These or something similar might work for you making 90 degree turns if you decide to mount facing directly backwards from the screen: http://www.amazon.com/L-shape-4-conducto...d_sim_e_15

Do you know if any one makes something like that for the 3 conductors? I've been looking but just don't know if I'm searching the right term or if they just don't exist.
Any reason why you chose the Arduino instead of a Raspberry Pi? I have a spare Pi and curious if this is even possible.
(2014-01-25, 11:54)KenV99 Wrote: These or something similar might work for you making 90 degree turns if you decide to mount facing directly backwards from the screen: http://www.amazon.com/L-shape-4-conducto...d_sim_e_15

I was more concerned because I have cherry wood to reflect the light back towards the viewer. If your screen is mounted on a light colored wall, it may be less of an issue.
Wouldn't those 90 degree things mean you need strips made to the exact length, ie the height and width of your TV?

Heartening to know it shouldn't take the full 60 days for the strip to turn up!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-26, 07:50)nickr Wrote: Wouldn't those 90 degree things mean you need strips made to the exact length, ie the height and width of your TV?

The strips can be cut to whatever size you need. If you look carefully at the picture of the led strips, you can see some copper pads between the led's, that is where you can cut them. Just cut right through the middle of the pads so it leaves enough to solder or crimp to.
(2014-01-26, 07:50)nickr Wrote: Wouldn't those 90 degree things mean you need strips made to the exact length, ie the height and width of your TV?

Generally you can cut the LED strips every 1 - 3 leds, depending on the type (my ws2801's were every led, looks like Kev99's were every one too).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0