• 2(current)
12.3 libnfs update breaks NFS on Windows
I use NFS because of the Pi's. Two Windows clients and two Pi's means I need to use NFS so that the Pi's will playback Movies ok. With a shared library the PI's dictate NFS to all.
@Memphiz - a clean library using Gotham Alpha 11 on my Nexus 7 does NOT drop the library as it does on the just-tested again Windows nightly.

The results are different though from a few days ago (?!) - I am prompted about what to do with the missing paths, and there are now:

Code:
20:36:48 T:5288   DEBUG: CVideoDatabase::CleanDatabase: Cleaning paths that don't exist and have content set...
20:36:48 T:5288   DEBUG: Testing Existence (multipath://nfs%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e1%2e51%2fMovieLibrary01%2f/nfs%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e1%2e51%2fMovieLibrary02%2f/nfs%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e1%2e51%2fMovieLibrary08%2f/)
20:36:48 T:5288   DEBUG: Testing Existence (nfs://192.168.1.51/MovieLibrary01/)
20:36:48 T:5288   DEBUG: Testing Existence (nfs://192.168.1.51/MovieLibrary02/)
20:36:48 T:5288   DEBUG: Testing Existence (nfs://192.168.1.51/MovieLibrary08/)

...errors in the log
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Yes that would be the most comfortable environment ... a zipped up folder i place on the server and an exports file. And then a short reproduction description on how to trigger the bug.

I don't see an error in the log ... this are only debug printouts. (please in the future post log snippets or full logs to pastebin.com or if its only a couple of lines into "code" tags).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Trac: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14847

I will try get my test environment set up asap.
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Whilst hunting down NFS (Hanewin) issues with my ATV2 (Frodo 12.2) I was using 12.3 Frodo on my windows HTPC to test access. Mainly because it's a lot faster than ATV.

I can confirm that under 12.3 I was getting random NFS failures (and I was tearing my hair out). Reverting to 12.2 seems to have stabilised the issue.

Byron
2 x ATV2 with XBMC
1 x Win Vista with XBMC
XBMP/XBMC user since 2002!
(2014-01-13, 19:41)Memphiz Wrote: Yes that would be the most comfortable environment ... a zipped up folder i place on the server and an exports file. And then a short reproduction description on how to trigger the bug.

So I spent a couple hours doing this and testing it and I couldn't get it to consistently replicate the bug - it dropped the library only once out of about 50 cleans. So the problem is much worse with a bigger library.

This was simply 4 dummy movies in two shares. There were no errors in the log as such, just those 'exists' messages... that presumably fail (they should log that really!).

I don't think that will be that useful to you will it?
I dont have any problems using NFS sources on Windows (7), everything is smooth as always. NFS server is Synology box.
(2014-01-16, 11:54)bossanova808 Wrote: I don't think that will be that useful to you will it?

Nope not usefull. I know its time consuming and i am sorry to tell you that i can't fix it without a reproduction. My todo list is way to long (and believe me - its counting up to a bit more then a couple of hours already this year Wink). So while i understand that you might think "you are the dev - fix the problem and don't make me doing all the work" - i can't do much about that atm.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
To the original poster: you use NFS in a Windows only environment. What are the advantages? I'm curious. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
@Memphiz - definitely don't think that at all! I fully get volunteer and open source and how time consuming development work is - I'm grateful for even the slightest attention.

@Maetrik - well, that's interesting - would be a lot more interesting if you could post a bunch of your server/client details. Would you mind - might help isolate things further (e.g. just hanewin, or something to do with hanewin settings or share naming?)

@ashlar - ah well that is a saga. Basically, NFS performs better. In actual tests I mean - I'ev always noticed it paticularly much with long lists of files (e.g. directories of pictures). But in the media streaming world it's been a well known trick since the earlier days to get better streaming going on - basically if you loo through any popcorn, hdx, zensonic old forum you will see scores of people using NFS reliably where SMB just doesn't cut it. For some reason, if your network isn't great (wireless, popwerline etc) - NFS will simply work in a lot of scenarios that SMB won't. I originally moved to NFS because of a severe xbmc SMB hanging bug (don't know if they ever did solve that - see 22 pages of painfor many people here for instance: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66124). But I'd used NFS before with a popcorn etc and found it very very reliable and less messy with user account issues etc. There's also the advantage of the fact I can use NFS and no path substitution (which I have found slow and buggy with non-ascii characters) - on all cients (I have some OE boxes that are not having NFS issues hence not mentioned here). But if you do some straight file copies across a typical network with NFS vs SMB, you'll routinely see higher transfer rates with NFS than SMB, or at least on the (several) networks I run that's the case. E.g. you might get 25-30 mb/s with SMB vs 40+ with NFS on the same network. With those figures it wouldn't matter but the with powerline it might be more like 6mb vs 9mb and that makes all the difference in the world to reliable streaming.

I am definitely not alone in this and if there is a general NFS bug with xbmc windows, I think you'll be surprised how many people it will effect in the end. I suspect quite a few pi users will be using it as NFS stresses the Pi less seemingly, for one thing. There's 5 pages of threads just mentioning one exclusively windows server - hanewin - so that's at least a few!

But again - any attention is a bonus and I am just trying to gather data make it reproducibke so it can be fixed. My next plan is to wireshark and look for nfs errors I think...something for the weekend!
I'll agree it's random.

I can go into videos and select a source it might work 3 times in a row (this is a single NFS share) and then fail 4 times, wait a minute and it might work again.

When opening multi path sources you may or may not get all sources opening.

I didn't bother dumping a log as reverting to 12.2 fixes this, and 12.3 didn't solve my HDMI/AAC audio oddities (which I'm sure are known anyway).

Byron
2 x ATV2 with XBMC
1 x Win Vista with XBMC
XBMP/XBMC user since 2002!
Ok, following this guide: https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs/issues/46

...I've done some wiresharking. There are a lot of NFS errors in there!

Right from startup, there's a bejesus load of these:

Code:
51    0.051972000    192.168.1.51    192.168.1.12    NFS    174    V3 LOOKUP Reply (Call In 50) Error: NFS3ERR_NOENT

...but that's the onkly nfs error as such I can see.

Immediately before these I can see lookups working, though...with no obvious differences. I don't really know what I am doing but there aren't any other obviou nfs errors.

In the XBMC log, updating the library seems fine, the fasthash stuff all reports no change etc. It really seems to go wrong with the 'testing existence' section - was anything changed here perhaps??
Hi Bossanova808

As a hint for me more than anything can you try the 12.3 version from Margro from l8nk below. This version crashes for me but official 12.3 doesnt. I use these builds to speed up channel change time using the Argus backend. It doesnt crash for live tv its only when I enable the sql library for video. If I leave music enabled the moment I play a music file over NFS xbmc crashes. Log file says nothing extraordinary to my layman eyes, it just stops. I use NFS for all library and wonder if its related.

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...html#frodo

CV8R
Will give it a whirl but it's late here so tomorrow, will report back
@bossanova808 if you got errors in the wireshark capture. 1. Ensure you are using the latest nightlies (for having the libnfs 1.6.2 thingy we figured out some days ago). Then do a wireshark capture like described by sahlberg and post an issue in his github issues. I bet there is some other damned windows type size problem.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
12.3 libnfs update breaks NFS on Windows0