automatic profile logout after inactivity
Hi,

i wonder if it is possible to have an automated logout from the current profile if there has been no user activity for a certain period?

I think of the following setup:

The system is running 24/7. XBMC is not shutdown after use.
Two profiles, one for children, one for full access. The full access profile is password protected

Is there an addon available?
Would this be possible with a addon (which has to be written)? Can you provide some hints. Maybe i could write such an addon.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1512141
This seems to be a good starting point! Is coding for XBMC that easy? Now i only have to learn more about XBMC apis.
Using the ScreensaverEvent is clever. Thanks for the hint!

I assume that there's also an interface to get the current profile name. So i can change the code that it only logsout if "admin" is logged in. Or logout of admin and automatic login to the childrens' profile...

Best regards
DrScott
To be honest, I don't really know much about python scripting myself :)

I had just stumbled upon that thread a few days ago and then I saw your thread and remembered it. The wiki add-on docs (see add-on development (wiki)) and the add-on dev sub forum is the best places to get started on it. A lot of the basic stuff like this can be fairly easy and figured out by seeing how other add-ons do similar actions, which is about as much as I know how to do.

I'm hoping this either becomes enabled as a default "sleep" or screensaver option in XBMC, or is added as an add-on, because it really is handy in a lot of situations.

Like I said, I don't know much about scripting, but if I can help point you in the right direction, or something, feel free to give me a poke :)
Now i am facing a new problem:

If i add new content to my NAS, i have to scrape it on both profiles. Also i need to sperate "rated" and "child" content into different sources. The master profile will scrape on both sources, the kids profile only on the "child" source.

As the kids grow up there will be the need to recategories content, so i have to move content on the NAS from one source to the other. That would also need work in the xbmc database... Not an option.

Now i am searching for alternatives:
It is possible to share the master profile database. This would be perfect if i could restrict access to it from the kids profile. The concept of smart playlists seems promising. A smart playlist filtering for Movies of genre=Family. Is it possible to restrict a profile to only access a certain smart playlist? Hm, while this may be possible for the main interface using a special skin, what about other Interfaces like AWX or Yatse?

Another (brute force) idea: kids profile uses its own (read only) database. But that database is in fact a copy of the master profile database, just cleaned for the rated content.

A quick test using

logoff profile
cp masterprofile/MyVideos75.db kids/MyVideos75.db
sqlite3 kids/MyVideos75.db "delete from movie where c14 not like '%Family%';"
logon kids

was successful. I admit that this is a bit adventurous... ;-) Anyway, i am sure i can't kill my master profile this way and setting up a new kids profile in case it would break would be very easy this way.

Also the test with Yatse was successfull. Unfortunately, Yatse don't support multi profiles, so the (cached) lists of moves still contains rated movies, but it's not possible to start them while in kids profile :-)

So i am still looking for more convenient solutions...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
automatic profile logout after inactivity0