Don't overwite custom covers with internet lookup
hi,

i don't know if this is a feature or a annoying bug..

i go to "my music" and then access my network share over smb.
i then have a folder with all my music albums and in every music album folder i have a custom album cover (folder.jpg).
now i want to see the album information via internet lookup (is this allmusic.com right?).
now, when i go back from the album information page then my custom album cover (folder.jpg) gets overwritten by the previous displayed cover from the album information page!

unfortunately it don't gets overwritten on my smb share.
it only gets overwritten in mymusic.db file i think and then it is cached.

wouldn't it be better to first check if the user has a custom-cover (folder.jpg) and then if yes, skip the album cover download from allmusic.com ?

like in "my videos" section .. there everything works great, even with my custom movie covers (moviename.tbn).
after i do a imdb lookup of a certain movie then after the information page my custom cover don't gets overwritten. here everything is okay.

scape
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

its neither... its an annoying feature Smile

this has always been the case. a lookup over writes the cached thumbnail.

the only way to clear it, is to delete the cached thumbnail, re-enable "find remote thumbs" and browse back to the location so that your custom thumb gets re-cached.

and music and video sections work very differently. imdb downloaded thumbs as cached by their imdb number, so they dont over write custom thumbs.

one could argue this from the other side and say that videos is the media window that behaves incorrectly.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
thanks kraqh3d, now i understand..

though it is complicated as you described how to do for each item, evertime i do a lookup.

wouldn't it be good to create an option in the settings-menu (for each music and video section or for both) which says:
"download internet covers automatically" yes/no ?
when selected "yes" then overwrite also custom thumbs and if no, leave the custom thumbs as they are.

that would be great. what do you think? Smile

scape

current sentiment is that there's already too many options. this has bugged me for quite some time. sometimes i lookup by accident Smile

please kraqh3d, please.. Smile

an option would be awesome .. or, if not an option then automatically to not overwrite custom thumbs.

i understand, if the user has no thumb at all for a file/folder, then xbmc downloads the thumb automatically. thats cool.

but if the user already has put a custom thumb for that file/folder, then why overwrite the custom thumb ?? Smile

scape

just making the allmusic.com scraper never overwrite the local thumb should do the trick though.

i'm struggling to see the use of the other way around (why would you want the allmusic.com thumb if you already have one?), and it seems to me that if you did want to override it then it's something that can be done from the music info screen.

cheers,
jonathan

jmarshall, thanks for your reply.

Quote:i'm struggling to see the use of the other way around (why would you want the allmusic.com thumb if you already have one?)

that's exactly what i don't understand. why overwriting a thumb, when the user already has put is own custom thumb in the folder? .. i do not see any use of this .. it is only of use, if the user has no thumb at all in the folder.

jmarshall, could you please have a look at it? Smile ..
that would really be awesome, because i am sure that many users have put much effort into correctly tagging/and placing their custom thumbs (folder.jpg) into each directory for their music albums.

scape

i was looking at this the other day. there was a recent change to how this works. previously, the downloaded image would only overwrite a custom thumb in files view if you did the lookup on a folder. now, the downloaded thumb also affects library view. it becomes the new thumb for the album, and all songs in that album in the library.
kraqh3d, i only use file-view (listview) for music and videos.

are you planning to implement it, to not overwrite custom thumbs (for file-view and for library-view)?

thanks in advance.

i'm looking it. i'm not committing to anything.
thanks kraqh3d for looking into it.

i really appreciate the work from you and the other devs.
what you all have done is simply amazing.

kraqh3d, did you have a look at the "music information lookup" -> album cover overwriting users custom cover-thumbs?

i've not done anything other than my original investigation. this weekend i'll hopefully have some time to try something.
again its me kraqh3d. Smile

have you tried something to not override the custom thumbs in my music internet lookup?
pleeeaase.. Smile

no i havent, and quite frankly i'm getting a little annoyed by your begging.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Don't overwite custom covers with internet lookup0