Long time listener first time caller
These threads have been really great helping me get my live tv up and running on XBMC with my Ceton InfiniTV4. I didn't think it was possible, but all the direction here has been great.

So, now I'm wondering if it's just the way it is--or possibly a setting I am missing, but the quality of the live tv is not as good as in WMC. The quality of tv in WMC is identical to that of watching from a set top box from my cable provider. XBMC, though, is more like watching a steaming show in a web browser, i.e. fast moving items on the screen are blurry, sometimes skippy. I understand the slow channel changing is a common issue, and I could live with that for a while, but this difference in quality forces me to continue to use WMC for live tv, and XBMC for everything else.

Anybody else experience the same thing? Find a fix? Just the way it is? Any help is appreciated.

I'm running the gotham nightly builds of XBMC. I can provide any other relevant information (I don't know what's relevant).
You might want to start with what type of system and general information about the system you are running XBMC on. I don't have the video quality issues you seem to have. WMC appears the same for me from within WMC or when viewing XBMC (which is running on a separate device).
I5 Haswell NUC | DS1812 | ServerWMC
Ok, well that's great news that you have it working exactly like WMC--that means it can be fixed.

It's a Dell Optiplex with an Intel i7 running windows 7, 4GB RAM, ASUS GeForce 1GB PCI Express video card, Ceton InfiniTV4 Tuner card for CableCard. Hard wired Cat5 from a gigabit airport extreme. I have this hooked up directly to my 46" samsung LCD via HDMI. I use this machine exclusively as my HTPC. Both the server and client are the same machine.
On the OSD, mess around with the deinterlacing options and method. ( auto, auto select)
Yes, while watching a tv stream, pop up the OSD and select the video properties (film icon). Change DeInterlace to Auto and method to Auto Select... Then also scroll to the bottom and "Set as default for all video". Otheriwse you have to do it every time/channel
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Awesome!! Thanks for all of your help! I'll be sure to try that when I get home.

Does the skin I'm using make any difference? Currenly on Aeon MQ5.
to the quality of the picture? no...

The de-interlacing settings will fix your quality problem. The quality should be as good as WMC recordings (because what you're watching is actually WMC recordings behind the scenes)
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I don't think the skin should make any difference unless you have a weak system that's struggling with Aeon MQ5. I don't think that's the case with your i7.

Try the interlacing settings first. That could definitely be the issue. I remember I had to change my interlace settings specifically for Live TV. If it fixes the problem then make sure to select the OSD option to make the new setting the default for all other videos.

If that doesn't work, then I'd be curious to know if you could test with the integrated graphics of your i7 (without using the video card), assuming it'd a recent version of the i7.
Ok, great. Embarrassingly, I had to google what the OSD was. That in itself will help me a lot. I read on other boards about the de-interlacing setting, but couldn't find it anywhere under settings>video, or Settings>live tv. Now that I know how to get to the Interlacing settings, hopefully this will be solved and XBMC will be the source for everything!

Thank for your help!

Trey
Also turn on Settings>Video>Playback>"Adjust refresh rate to match video" to eliminate micro stutter on fast moving scenes
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Another way to check if the interlace setting is the problem is to compare a 720p channel like ESPN with a 1080i channel like CBS or NBC.
<sheepish> I only "subscribe" to the broadcast channels, i.e. nbc, fox, cbs, etc. I've used the cablecard to get epg data, but I don't think I even need to do that anymore. Still, for some reason on Comcast it's cheaper to bundle internet with this basic tv service than to have internet by itself. My ultimate plan is to incorporate playon media server once I get this live tv thing worked out.
I don't really have anything to add. I just wanted to say I love the thread title. Smile

I had similar issues at the beginning until I got my interlace settings set properly. Now it looks as good as WMC or even the cable box I recently returned.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Fox is 720p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long time listener first time caller0