• 1(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
Hi guys!

This is my first post here. I'm looking to upgrade my PopCorn Hour player and I decided that I need something that has the ability to run XMBC. I was kind of surprised that there are devices running on Android that are able to do that and to do it really good. On top of that you have the ability to choose between all the applications featured on the Android Play Store which is a huge plus for me. That's the reason I decided to try and find the perfect Android based box that will match my criteria. The problem is that the market is flooded with Chinese devices that come with big promises but I am unable to find trustworthy reviews for most of them so that's the reason I want to ask the XBMC community to share their thoughts if they own any of those devices. I want to get an Android box with a Quad-core CPU and 2GB RAM so that my player will be future proof for the next couple of years (I don't expect it to play 4K movies). I want smooth XBMC performance, 3D movie support, Blu-Ray menu support and the ability to bit stream HD audio. Currently I'm looking at those two devices:

- Vidon.me AV200
- Mele A1000G
- JUSTOP Quadro

Can anyone share some personal opinion on those two? Also, you are free to add any other devices that you are aware of (or have in your possession) that match the Quad-core CPU and 2GB RAM criteria.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I'm creating that table that I'll keep updated with the information coming from this thread.

Go OUYA,....but that's just my opinion.
If I'm not mistaken the OUYA does not support Blu-Ray Navigation Menu and bit stream HD audio. While Vidon's version of XBMC supports both of those features. Is the case?
All I can say is do NOT get Exoon Power Pro. I'm still kicking myself.
What's the problem with it?

BTW Why don't we create a thread with all the specifications of all the new Android players that are actually worth something? We can then add the scores of the community for each one.
Actually would be helpful if there was a list of the best ones.
Thing is theres a new one out every week. So hard to keep up.
(2014-01-10, 23:57)skweezer Wrote: Actually would be helpful if there was a list of the best ones.
Thing is theres a new one out every week. So hard to keep up.

Not really a list but here are two that are supposed to be among the best

1. OUYA, the Best Hardware Option for Running XBMC

2. Preliminary Review of Matricom’s G-Box Midnight MX2

Not android but....a pretty cheap device

3. Complete Guide To Installing XBMC On The Apple TV 2 (ATV 2)
(2014-01-10, 18:51)lamotia Wrote: If I'm not mistaken the OUYA does not support Blu-Ray Navigation Menu and bit stream HD audio. While Vidon's version of XBMC supports both of those features. Is the case?

The Ouya store version of XBMC doesn't bit stream HD audio, but SPMC and the official Android nightlies do. As for BR navigation, I hadn't heard of this issue so I googled it and found this thread in which Koying states that the issue would be fixed: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177431

(2014-01-11, 01:16)FishOil Wrote: Not android but....a pretty cheap device

3. Complete Guide To Installing XBMC On The Apple TV 2 (ATV 2)

I don't think that you can really call the Apple TV 2 a cheap solution anymore. It's not available via retail anymore so you can't just buy one for $99, and it goes on ebay and craigslist for about $200.
(2014-01-11, 01:32)AZImmortal Wrote: I don't think that you can really call the Apple TV 2 a cheap solution anymore. It's not available via retail anymore so you can't just buy one for $99, and it goes on ebay and craigslist for about $200.

There is also only 720p support for movies as far as I know.
(2014-01-11, 01:56)lamotia Wrote:
(2014-01-11, 01:32)AZImmortal Wrote: I don't think that you can really call the Apple TV 2 a cheap solution anymore. It's not available via retail anymore so you can't just buy one for $99, and it goes on ebay and craigslist for about $200.

There is also only 720p support for movies as far as I know.

Yes, I actually meant to mention this but I forgot to do so. It can play higher res videos than 720p but can only output at 720p.
It would be nice if there was a section in the wiki that users could add devices that work well for them. Or maybe a recommended hardware section.

For now the wiki kinda has a compatibility chart: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android_hardware

AMLogic - Yes
Rockchip - Yes, but some devices might need an updated firmware for smooth 1080 playback.
Tegra 3/4 - Yes
Allwinner A10, A13, A20 - No
Allwinner A31 - Yes
Snapdragon - Yes
Freescale - ?
OMAP - Yes
Samsung/Exynos - Yes
Mediatek - No
Hisilicon - Maybe? (needs verification)
Marvell Armada - ?
MediaTek MTK6589T - Yes

I would go with at least a quad-core chip that is supported above. XDA developers is also a good place to look up android devices
I think the best Android box is: Cubox-i2 Ultra
(2014-01-11, 18:56)joelbaby Wrote: I think the best Android box is: Cubox-i2 Ultra

Care to elaborate a bit more? Do you have it? How is the performance? Can it bitstream HD audio? Please give us more details.
(2014-01-11, 18:56)joelbaby Wrote: I think the best Android box is: Cubox-i2 Ultra

If you don't mind waiting several weeks or months to receive one

Has anybody here used one of these with XBMC? Can it run the official releases, or does it need special modified code to handle hardware accelerated video?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2