• 2(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
Yeah you will have to wait a bit for the new cubox-i's, they are backordered at least a month. "Due to high demand, orders will be shipping around 20/02/2014".

Cubox-i runs off a Freescale SOC, there would have to be an Android build to support it. Wiki shows ? for Freescale, don't know how up to date it is

As far as a Linux distro goes Sam from Raspbmc, soon to be linXBMC (supports more hardware). Just got his cubox on the Jan 7.

https://twitter.com/SamNazarko/status/42...97/photo/1

It's most likely gonna be like Pi was in the beginning. very buggy
(2014-01-11, 18:56)joelbaby Wrote: I think the best Android box is: Cubox-i2 Ultra

No mentioning of flash/storage memory so my guess is any apps you install will be stored on RAM. That would be a waste of RAM imo. The website suggest to buy 4gb micro sd but I'm pretty sure that's for content storage and not for apps.
(2014-01-12, 16:01)nixxonexxo Wrote:
(2014-01-11, 18:56)joelbaby Wrote: I think the best Android box is: Cubox-i2 Ultra

No mentioning of flash/storage memory so my guess is any apps you install will be stored on RAM. That would be a waste of RAM imo. The website suggest to buy 4gb micro sd but I'm pretty sure that's for content storage and not for apps.

RAM is never used as the primary storage device for any system. The contents of RAM go away as soon as power is no longer applied to it.
(2014-01-12, 00:42)lamotia Wrote: Care to elaborate a bit more? Do you have it? How is the performance? Can it bitstream HD audio? Please give us more details.

I don't really understand that original responder you are questioning, at this point I don't even consider my Cubox or other iMX6 boxes Android players. Maybe if/when they get Gapps, Goggle Play, and a good XBMC.APK with h/w support are available. The linux support is promising but far from ready.

Martin
Cubox runs on micro sd, just like RPi. And it's an open platform, which should make it winner. Once development catches up with it. Having Sam Nazarko develop linXBMC is definately a plus. Who knows maybe Openelec support down the road.
(2014-01-12, 19:20)emveepee Wrote:
(2014-01-12, 00:42)lamotia Wrote: Care to elaborate a bit more? Do you have it? How is the performance? Can it bitstream HD audio? Please give us more details.

I don't really understand that original responder you are questioning, at this point I don't even consider my Cubox or other iMX6 boxes Android players. Maybe if/when they get Gapps, Goggle Play, and a good XBMC.APK with h/w support are available. The linux support is promising but far from ready.

Martin

From what I read all Android boxes have Google Play and the latest ones have really good performance in terms of video playback and XBMC is running very smooth. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don' really get your Linux reference. Are you talking about installing Linux on an Android box?
(2014-01-12, 21:16)lamotia Wrote: From what I read all Android boxes have Google Play and the latest ones have really good performance in terms of video playback and XBMC is running very smooth. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, you are wrong. Not all there on the Cubox-i yet.

Quote:I don' really get your Linux reference. Are you talking about installing Linux on an Android box?

So far the work on XBMC on the iMX6's like the Cubox-i have been on Linux not Android.

Martin
(2014-01-13, 00:40)emveepee Wrote:
(2014-01-12, 21:16)lamotia Wrote: From what I read all Android boxes have Google Play and the latest ones have really good performance in terms of video playback and XBMC is running very smooth. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, you are wrong. Not all there on the Cubox-i yet.

Quote:I don' really get your Linux reference. Are you talking about installing Linux on an Android box?

So far the work on XBMC on the iMX6's like the Cubox-i have been on Linux not Android.

Martin

No Android? This is on their features page:

Quote:Android Box

Combine the slick design and feature-rich specs of the CuBox-i with the huge variety of available Android applications – including media, browsing, e-mail and gaming – and you get the best big-screen Android experience. Use it at home, in the office or virtually anywhere.
Actually it doesn't even have Google Play yet. They are waiting for certification. It is not just an Android device.

"Unlike single function products, CuBox-i is totally flexible. You can install Android or Linux, Python, Perl, compilers, IDEs, and media players – any open source application available!"

looks like current software so far is Android, Linux Distros: ArchLinux, Debian, Ubuntu, GeeXboX, Yocto
Future distros: linXBMC, OpenElec presumed to be supported

Wiki:
http://imx.solid-run.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Frequently Asked:
http://imx.solid-run.com/wiki/index.php?..._Questions

Think of Cubox-i as the next generation of Raspberry PI. It's a developer board, the SDK is open to anyone that wants to write software for it.
(2014-01-11, 05:45)BigB42078 Wrote: It would be nice if there was a section in the wiki that users could add devices that work well for them. Or maybe a recommended hardware section.

For now the wiki kinda has a compatibility chart: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android_hardware

AMLogic - Yes
Rockchip - Yes, but some devices might need an updated firmware for smooth 1080 playback.
Tegra 3/4 - Yes
Allwinner A10, A13, A20 - No
Allwinner A31 - Yes
Snapdragon - Yes
Freescale - ?
OMAP - Yes
Samsung/Exynos - Yes
Mediatek - No
Hisilicon - Maybe? (needs verification)
Marvell Armada - ?
MediaTek MTK6589T - Yes

I would go with at least a quad-core chip that is supported above. XDA developers is also a good place to look up android devices

I can confirm MediaTek works. I have that tablet Asus released (A refresh of the original Nexus 7 using a MediaTek processor) and it worked VERY well for XBMC. My little cousin used it every day to watch streams from my PC and loved to use it to watch his kids shows.
I particularly like the sound of Cubox-i specifically because it is not simply an Android Box.

In the past "Android Box" = "Cheap way to get XBMC".

I agree with "cheap" - but why do I want Android OS on an HTPC?? I just don't get it. Even when people do buy a well supported Android box, it is common for them to start asking for Linux builds (to get rid of all the extra Android crap which slows it down). This has happened with both Pivos and GBox users.

If you want an Android box because you want XBMC + Android Games, then get an Ouya, and enjoy the amazingness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

What is good about the i.mx6 chip based solutions (e.g. Wandboard, Cubox) is that it is cheap like an Android box, but has a lot of non-Android development happening on it. In many respects, a box based on i.mx6 is like a Raspberry Pi but better.

There are at least 3 xbmc solutions being worked on for cubox-i: Sam Nazarko who wrote Raspbmc, Geexbox, and Stefan Rafin's ports. If OpenElec are working on something they are being very quiet about it, so I'm not holding my hopes up.

Be in no doubt - this is bleeding edge technology - so there will be many teething troubles. However, I can't think of a single Android box that does not have a problem or shortcoming.
(2014-01-13, 17:22)joelbaby Wrote: I particularly like the sound of Cubox-i specifically because it is not simply an Android Box.

In the past "Android Box" = "Cheap way to get XBMC".

I agree with "cheap" - but why do I want Android OS on an HTPC?? I just don't get it. Even when people do buy a well supported Android box, it is common for them to start asking for Linux builds (to get rid of all the extra Android crap which slows it down). This has happened with both Pivos and GBox users.

If you want an Android box because you want XBMC + Android Games, then get an Ouya, and enjoy the amazingness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

What is good about the i.mx6 chip based solutions (e.g. Wandboard, Cubox) is that it is cheap like an Android box, but has a lot of non-Android development happening on it. In many respects, a box based on i.mx6 is like a Raspberry Pi but better.

There are at least 3 xbmc solutions being worked on for cubox-i: Sam Nazarko who wrote Raspbmc, Geexbox, and Stefan Rafin's ports. If OpenElec are working on something they are being very quiet about it, so I'm not holding my hopes up.

Be in no doubt - this is bleeding edge technology - so there will be many teething troubles. However, I can't think of a single Android box that does not have a problem or shortcoming.

There are several reasons why I prefer the Android box over the Linux based one:
- I don't want to think about hardware, nor did I want to assemble the box myself
- I'm a Total Linux noob (I used Ubuntu 2-3 times tops) and I won't be able to maintain this device or customize it
- The Android apps are really good and they give me the ability to do tons of things on my TV
- The price factor is also important
(2014-01-15, 21:13)lamotia Wrote: - The Android apps are really good and they give me the ability to do tons of things on my TV

Out of interest ... what things are useful to do on a TV in Android?
Well, netflix immediately comes to mind.
Spotify
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2