• 3(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
Total noob, so please temper the flaming. The Ouya: remote control services, using XBMC and similar apps, accomplished using IR game controller? Is there an ip/wifi way to remote control with Ouya using an iPad, etc?
(2014-01-17, 00:39)Fostagnasty Wrote: Total noob, so please temper the flaming. The Ouya: remote control services, using XBMC and similar apps, accomplished using IR game controller? Is there an ip/wifi way to remote control with Ouya using an iPad, etc?

The Ouya has a bluetooth game controller which works pretty well with XBMC. It's possible to use a USB IR dongle if you want to use a traditional remote, and yes, you can control it over your network using any of the existing methods, including smartphone/tablet apps.
Thanks
So, no one has any idea about Android boxes...
(2014-01-18, 18:38)lamotia Wrote: So, no one has any idea about Android boxes...
Wow, you know how to make friends.
I have a TopHatTV which is the same as a Pivos XIOS with a custom firmware and Amlogic hardware accelerated XBMC 12. Ive had it for about 6 months and so far it plays anything I have thrown at it.
It's not the fastest device nor is it the most advanced device but it is stable and works well. Whenever I get up the courage I will install the latest nightly build of Gotham but as it is and as you get it it is stable, most addons work including the ones we cannot discuss here.
My 2c..
(2014-01-18, 19:45)joelbaby Wrote:
(2014-01-18, 18:38)lamotia Wrote: So, no one has any idea about Android boxes...
Wow, you know how to make friends.

I'm not looking to make new friends, I'm looking for people that have first hand experience with any of the Android boxes that are available on the market currently. So far it's been a 4+ pages thread with only a few posts on the subject. I really don't need replies that state the obvious - Linux box > Android box. I decided that I want an Android box (I have my reasons for that) and I need some feedback on the matter from the community.
Welcome to the board.

I can tell you this much. I have the UG008 which has the RK3066 chip. It's listed on the Wiki as offering H/W acceleration with a firmware update, but I have struggled to find the right one. I have installed the Finless 1.7a only to find it limits me to 720p at the kernel so like someone said above, we are dealing with front edge tech and it's not really for everyone. If you enjoy a challenge(tech challenge) and want to have a solution a few months ahead of everyone else, you will likely deal with a few headaches, otherwise you will likely need wait and see what Wal-Mart decides to offer for an "Android Box"
(2014-01-10, 19:06)bruce7373 Wrote: All I can say is do NOT get Exoon Power Pro. I'm still kicking myself.

(2014-01-10, 21:05)lamotia Wrote: What's the problem with it?

Put simply, it doesn't live up to expectations. The specs read great: 1080p kernel, audio bitstream, JB 4.3, 16G storage, 2G memory, quad core. But... the box is highly proprietary, expensive (as much as my xbox 360 and roku 3 combined), prone to crashing (most likely due to overheating, IMO), and there is virtually no support (the website isn't even fully functional). It comes with a very cheaply made game remote that I defy anyone to use for a day and not want to take a hammer to it.

I didn't do enough homework, I admit it. I based my decision to buy on a very stellar review which touted the box as the best thing since sliced bread. It isn't.
Hi I'm joining in.

At the moment I have 2 Android devices:

* 1 DroidTV USB stick MK808 for my bedroom PC
* 1 JUSTOP Android TV box for my living room tv

I chose the JUSTOP because the DroidTV USB stick was not playing media smoothly (especially mkv/ 720/ 1080 files). I mostly stream from my NAS or play via Play Store apps. I thought the cause was the Wifi connection, so I started looking for a box with RJ45 connection. That's where I bought the JUSTOP box. It's playing 720 and 1080 without a problem but only when using the file browser.

Via XBMC it's still not playing the 720 and 1080 files smoothly. I assume this has to do with the hardware acceleration?

Any suggestions which box will play these files via XBMC? I think my current JUSTOP box has a dual core processor. Will a Quad core solve my problem?

Thanks for your suggestions..
(2014-01-19, 21:38)sander83 Wrote: Hi I'm joining in.

At the moment I have 2 Android devices:

* 1 DroidTV USB stick MK808 for my bedroom PC
* 1 JUSTOP Android TV box for my living room tv

I chose the JUSTOP because the DroidTV USB stick was not playing media smoothly (especially mkv/ 720/ 1080 files). I mostly stream from my NAS or play via Play Store apps. I thought the cause was the Wifi connection, so I started looking for a box with RJ45 connection. That's where I bought the JUSTOP box. It's playing 720 and 1080 without a problem but only when using the file browser.

Via XBMC it's still not playing the 720 and 1080 files smoothly. I assume this has to do with the hardware acceleration?

Any suggestions which box will play these files via XBMC? I think my current JUSTOP box has a dual core processor. Will a Quad core solve my problem?

Thanks for your suggestions..

Is this the box that you currently have so that I can add it to the table - Is this the box that you have - http://www.justop.com/catalog/justop-dro...ition.html?

I'm also thinking about buying a Quad core Justop so if anyone can answer that it will be great. Also is there HD audio bitstreaming with Justop?

P.S. About that table reference upwards... I updated my original post to include a table with bits of information on some of the various players mentioned on this thread. Please feel free to correct me or update the missing information.
Quote:Via XBMC it's still not playing the 720 and 1080 files smoothly. I assume this has to do with the hardware acceleration?

Looks like you have the Allwinner A20 which doesn't show support for hardware acceleration. XBMC HARDWARE WIKI

You can use a XAF build from http://www.xbmcandroid.com/, I believe a non-neon build, because think neon are Tegra chip builds. It uses external MX player for hardware acceleration.
(2014-01-20, 02:21)BigB42078 Wrote:
Quote:Via XBMC it's still not playing the 720 and 1080 files smoothly. I assume this has to do with the hardware acceleration?

Looks like you have the Allwinner A20 which doesn't show support for hardware acceleration. XBMC HARDWARE WIKI

You can use a XAF build from http://www.xbmcandroid.com/, I believe a non-neon build, because think neon are Tegra chip builds. It uses external MX player for hardware acceleration.

The one I'm currently using I bought via Amazon (Although I think this product page is now showing a newer model. I'll try to find the exact model):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Streamer-...art+tv+box

I tried several XBMC builds but I still can't determine whether I can solve this by replacing hardware or that I should just wait for XBMC to make a build which supports hardware acceleration.
Hello, I am just joining in on this post as it seems appropriate for my own search for an Android box. My thinking on an Android box was that: It would be quick to power up. We could play games from Google Play (we dont have a gaming system. Although we have 7 PCs, 1 iMac, 2 iPads). I could run XBMC to play shows and possibly live network channels (just dropped our cable TV service) We currently do most of our show watching from day old downloads of our shows and a library of movies etc.

A friend had suggested a Minix 7. Just recently i had been reading about the Ouya.. I had actually decided on the Minix... but i dont hear about it as much anymore. Is there a reason?

Thanks. Hope i did not hijack this post at all and my additional questions will spark some good feedback.

Q
Lamotia,

the Quad core you should probably be avoided (because it uses RK3188 chipset)
the Dual core should work (uses Amlogic chipset).

Justop dual core uses the same chipset as Gbox Midnight MX2, so you should probably get that box instead, as they have a user forum - because you will have problems.

None of the Android boxes are perfect.

When you look at any Android box, look at the chipset. The same chipsets are just rebranded over and over again by different companies.
Minix Neo x7 = Justop Quad = RK3188

All the old stuff is problematic, but the newly released boxes are promising.

Pivos will release a Quad core Amlogic (good) chipset box in March. This should be very well supported, and probably run everything.
Cubox-i uses i.mx6 chipset (also fast). Doesn't have Google play store yet, but does come with Android. There are alternatives to google play. Shipping only started a few weeks ago, so too early to tell how good it is.
Ouya is based on Tegra. Its ok.

All the other Android boxes ... too slow.

If you want to know if an Android box is any good, then just google 'chipsetname xbmc'
eg. rk3188 xmbc, amlogic 8726-m6 xbmc, i.mx6 xbmc, amlogic 8726-m8, amlogic 8726-m8 xbmc
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2