• 4(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
they all have there issues here and there but for the most part,
$99 OUYA does the job perfectly using SPMC version of XBMC....
Quote:The one I'm currently using I bought via Amazon (Although I think this product page is now showing a newer model. I'll try to find the exact model):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Streamer-...art+tv+box

I tried several XBMC builds but I still can't determine whether I can solve this by replacing hardware or that I should just wait for XBMC to make a build which supports hardware acceleration.

CPU: Allwinner A20/ 1.5GHz Dual-Core

Try this http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/12/20/x...a-console/

This looks like a newer one http://forum.vidon.me/forum/vidon-me-off...0-5-is-out

It may only work on the av100 Vidon.me box but it's worth a try if that is your actual box in the Amazon link.
(2014-01-20, 19:35)joelbaby Wrote: Lamotia,

the Quad core you should probably be avoided (because it uses RK3188 chipset)
the Dual core should work (uses Amlogic chipset).

Justop dual core uses the same chipset as Gbox Midnight MX2, so you should probably get that box instead, as they have a user forum - because you will have problems.

None of the Android boxes are perfect.

When you look at any Android box, look at the chipset. The same chipsets are just rebranded over and over again by different companies.
Minix Neo x7 = Justop Quad = RK3188

All the old stuff is problematic, but the newly released boxes are promising.

Pivos will release a Quad core Amlogic (good) chipset box in March. This should be very well supported, and probably run everything.
Cubox-i uses i.mx6 chipset (also fast). Doesn't have Google play store yet, but does come with Android. There are alternatives to google play. Shipping only started a few weeks ago, so too early to tell how good it is.
Ouya is based on Tegra. Its ok.

All the other Android boxes ... too slow.

If you want to know if an Android box is any good, then just google 'chipsetname xbmc'
eg. rk3188 xmbc, amlogic 8726-m6 xbmc, i.mx6 xbmc, amlogic 8726-m8, amlogic 8726-m8 xbmc

Which one of the boxes uses RK3188? Vidon.me? Mele? JUSTOP? I cannot find that information anywhere.
(2014-01-21, 12:22)lamotia Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 19:35)joelbaby Wrote: Lamotia,

the Quad core you should probably be avoided (because it uses RK3188 chipset)
the Dual core should work (uses Amlogic chipset).

Justop dual core uses the same chipset as Gbox Midnight MX2, so you should probably get that box instead, as they have a user forum - because you will have problems.

None of the Android boxes are perfect.

When you look at any Android box, look at the chipset. The same chipsets are just rebranded over and over again by different companies.
Minix Neo x7 = Justop Quad = RK3188

All the old stuff is problematic, but the newly released boxes are promising.

Pivos will release a Quad core Amlogic (good) chipset box in March. This should be very well supported, and probably run everything.
Cubox-i uses i.mx6 chipset (also fast). Doesn't have Google play store yet, but does come with Android. There are alternatives to google play. Shipping only started a few weeks ago, so too early to tell how good it is.
Ouya is based on Tegra. Its ok.

All the other Android boxes ... too slow.

If you want to know if an Android box is any good, then just google 'chipsetname xbmc'
eg. rk3188 xmbc, amlogic 8726-m6 xbmc, i.mx6 xbmc, amlogic 8726-m8, amlogic 8726-m8 xbmc

Which one of the boxes uses RK3188? Vidon.me? Mele? JUSTOP? I cannot find that information anywhere.
The Minix x7
But they released customised xbmc version that works great. (by Koying)
ATV520 actually is the best in my opinion, and now it also has a working Linux release with HW acceleration (even if XBMC is fast enough under Android)
I have a RK3188 device (UG007B) and XBMC runs just fine on it using the nightly builds. There is a firmware bug in some devices, but you just need to update the firmware.
Hey Ned,

maybe the Wiki for Android Set Top Boxes, should list by chipset, and include columns for Hardware Acceleration, 1080p output, how fast it is, XBMC versions available, known issues (e.g. overheating if in stick form, ethernet problems, 720p output for 1080p films, etc..).

Benefits:

- Rather than listing every device - because there's several new ones out every month, the list becomes smaller.
- Avoids any implication that xbmc 'warrant' specific hardware devices. (everything is subject to how the manufacturer puts the box together, and the support the manufacturer provides).
- May encourage manufacturers to write their own software to provide a point of difference (instead of just selling a different shaped box with their logo on it).
(2014-01-22, 07:46)joelbaby Wrote: Hey Ned,

maybe the Wiki for Android Set Top Boxes, should list by chipset, and include columns for Hardware Acceleration, 1080p output, how fast it is, XBMC versions available, known issues (e.g. overheating if in stick form, ethernet problems, 720p output for 1080p films, etc..).

Benefits:

- Rather than listing every device - because there's several new ones out every month, the list becomes smaller.
- Avoids any implication that xbmc 'warrant' specific hardware devices. (everything is subject to how the manufacturer puts the box together, and the support the manufacturer provides).
- May encourage manufacturers to write their own software to provide a point of difference (instead of just selling a different shaped box with their logo on it).

Aye, I started doing this on Android hardware (wiki), where it used to be a huge list, but now it has a very generic chipset list. I want to make the chipset list a little more specific and turn it into a table and pretty much do what you describe :)
I wanted to try out the whole android mini pc thing so I ordered a Tronsmart CX-919. Got that one because it had the Quad core RK3188, 2g/8g, bluetooth, and an external wifi antenna. Got it for around $62 shipped including insurance.

I got that one specifically since it has a lot of support from 3rd party modders such as Finless and Neomode, and better wifi reception. I flashed it with a Neomode rom and I have to say, this thing does anything I want it to and it's really fast. Only issue I have seen so far is I also got a Mele F10 Pro airmouse/remote to use with it, and for some reason, When I use that remote, it causes the HDMI to blank out on and off every 10 seconds or so. If I use my logitech wireless keyboard, it works fine. I just got a powered usb hub I'm going to try

I installed SBMC (XBMC port for OUYA) and so far it is working perfectly. I've not had any issues playing 1080p or 720p content. Seems to stream content very well on a TV in my bedroom on the second floor (my router is on the 1st floor). I don't use the Gotham alpha yet because of the lack of addon compatibility. I'm only using Confluence so not sure how it would run some of the other more graphic intensive themes.

From what I've experienced and all the research I have done on Android devices, if you don't mind to tinker and tweak, you can get pretty decent results. I'm not aware of any android device that out of the box is going to be perfect. Even the Ouya, you have to tweak it and side load apps, etc just to get what you want.

I will also say from all of my research (I'm talking weeks and weeks) of reading reviews, etc I am going to purchase a Minix Neo X7. I'm doing this because of the added expansion through multiple USB, external antenna, development by 3rd party modders and decent Minix support. Also they have their own port of XBMC that seems to work pretty good from the reviews...
Hi all,

I am planning to get my parents an Android box to run XBMC.
95% of the times, XBMC will be used only to play mkv files (mostly 720p, but also a few 1080p ones) that will be stored in an Western Digital 500 GB external HD plugged to the Android box via USB cable (that is: we don't plan to stream any video files at all).
Also the XBMC video library should be around 25-30 video files.

So considering this info, do you think that Minix NEO X7 is a good choice?... I have read in this forum that chipset rk3188 is not the best option to run XBMC, but it is also true that this Minix have a customized version of XBMC that some users are reporting to run quite ok...
I would love to hear opinions from people here that currently have the Minix X7 about its ability to run XBMC and plays, directly from the hard drive, 720p and 1080p mkv files.

Thanks a lot.

PS: sorry for my poor English.
TV: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H; BD player: Pioneer BDP-LX58-K; AV receiver: Pioneer SC-LX56-K; HTPC: OrigenAE M10 (i3 6100); NAS: Synology DS213j; Game Consoles: Xbox One & Xbox 360 250 GB ("Slim"); Speakers: Focal-Jmlab Chorus S; Sub: SVS PB-1000; Universal remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate.
(2014-02-08, 14:08)Evergreen4 Wrote: Hi all,

I am planning to get my parents an Android box to run XBMC.
95% of the times, XBMC will be used only to play mkv files (mostly 720p, but also a few 1080p ones) that will be stored in an Western Digital 500 GB external HD plugged to the Android box via USB cable (that is: we don't plan to stream any video files at all).
Also the XBMC video library should be around 25-30 video files.

So considering this info, do you think that Minix NEO X7 is a good choice?... I have read in this forum that chipset rk3188 is not the best option to run XBMC, but it is also true that this Minix have a customized version of XBMC that some users are reporting to run quite ok...
I would love to hear opinions from people here that currently have the Minix X7 about its ability to run XBMC and plays, directly from the hard drive, 720p and 1080p mkv files.

Thanks a lot.

PS: sorry for my poor English.

Someone told me that Rockchip RK3188 quad core devices don't have good picture quality (much worse color rendering) comparing to Amlogic 8726MX dual core devices, so if running xbmc 95% of the times keep in mind that fact.
(2014-02-01, 20:26)Silar Wrote: I got that one specifically since it has a lot of support from 3rd party modders such as Finless and Neomode, and better wifi reception. I flashed it with a Neomode rom and I have to say, this thing does anything I want it to and it's really fast. Only issue I have seen so far is I also got a Mele F10 Pro airmouse/remote to use with it, and for some reason, When I use that remote, it causes the HDMI to blank out on and off every 10 seconds or so. If I use my logitech wireless keyboard, it works fine. I just got a powered usb hub I'm going to try

Try putting the little USB dongle of the Airmouse/remote in a different USB port on the device. You might not flake out the HDMI.
(2014-02-12, 12:39)dankec2000 Wrote: Someone told me that Rockchip RK3188 quad core devices don't have good picture quality (much worse color rendering) comparing to Amlogic 8726MX dual core devices, so if running xbmc 95% of the times keep in mind that fact.

Looks fine to me.
I recently discovered xbmc and it is what prompted me to an android box. With all the threads out there on which is the "best" box to buy ironically makes the decision even more confusing. I prefer an android box and my main use would be xbmc (720p vs 1080p doesent matter) but looking for the least expensive. I know quad core would be more expensive but does it really make a big difference? Would dual core work just fine? I was looking at the Mele M8. I also saw this clone for $93.00CAD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh6S9qJUg...verview-vl

Any other suggestions?
(2014-02-01, 20:26)Silar Wrote: I installed SBMC (XBMC port for OUYA) and so far it is working perfectly. I've not had any issues playing 1080p or 720p content. Seems to stream content very well on a TV in my bedroom on the second floor (my router is on the 1st floor). I don't use the Gotham alpha yet because of the lack of addon compatibility. I'm only using Confluence so not sure how it would run some of the other more graphic intensive themes.

Silar - have you tried one of the recent Gotham nightlies?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2