XBMC menus root / source ? how is it done ?
Question 
Hi ! This is my first post and I'm looking for some help, sorry If that's the wrong section as I'm not sure where it belongs.
I'm using the XBMC from the download section, thus with Confluence skin as default.

I have my setup like this : portable XBMC, and Medias in the same drive linked with Symbolic links as I found the trick on this forum.
So here's the structure :
my pictures : \XBMC\MEDIAS\PICTURES\
my music : \XBMC\MEDIAS\MUSIC\
my videos : \XBMC\MEDIAS\VIDEOS\
xbmc itself : \XBMC\XBMC\
launcher : \XBMC\XBMCPRTBL.bat

I've added the corresponding directories to the right place as "source", then removed the "add source" to get something clean.
When I start XBMC and I click on Pictures Menu, it opens a new 'window' and I have my PICTURES directory to click to actually see all the sub-directories and pics inside...When I click on Music Menu, it does the same. If I click on the Videos Menu, the new window displays 3 icons :
Files / Playlists / Video Add-ons. If I click on "Files", now I have my VIDEOS folder, and finally if I open that, I do get my videos and sub-directories.

What I would like :
I click on Pictures.. I get my pictures directly (yeah it sounds logical but..). I don't see why I have to click on what I choosed as 'source', I understand I could add each subdirectory as source but what If I add things or if I move things inside the root directory ? I would have to do all the "add source" again for each? sorry but I don't get it at all.
Ok so you guessed it I'd like the same for my Music, and Videos.. and by the way I don't have any need for those "Playlists" or "Video add-ons" icons.

If anyone could help me understanding this, telling me which XML to edit that would be nice. I'm not a newbie concerning coding but there are so many XML and since I'm discovering this soft it would take me ages (actually I spent already a few hours on this but without success)

Thanks !
Pictures, I think that is default behaviour. Music & videos, have you set a scraper for your sources and scanned them into a library ??
Well, that's a weird behavior. In fact what's needed is having only one source, I want that to be the root and my pictures to be displayed when I click on the "Pictures menu", not having to again click on PICTURES directory... that's just weird

No I don't even know what a scraper is, actually I think I understood (I'm french..) but that's of absolutely no use, Vids are just clips I made and Musics aren't really artist albums, it's a specific radio I ripped for offline use... so no "scraper" would understand all those are, anyway that XBMC installation is going in an offline machine.
OK, in that case I would suggest using a skin where you can customise the menu's and make them point to locations/playlists of your choice. Aeon MQ5/Ace/Aeon_nox/others (look in skin part of forum). You could also either with a customisable skin, or in the default skin, set up smart playlists that point to the sub directories that you want to see, eg "Holiday in Spain-2012". See this link in the wiki for details on smart playlists - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Smart_playlists
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks a lot for putting my in a (I hope) right direction, I was kinda lost till now Smile

edit :
it starts with "XBMC supports smart playlists for all types of media (excluding pictures)"

i'll look at other skins.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC menus root / source ? how is it done ?0