How do I assign a thumbnail to a file?
Hey how can you assign a thumbnail to a file in xbmc?
I know how to assign a thumbnail to a folder, but can't figure out how to do it with a file?

The file is a strm file with a video link in it.
for regular files, you can save a thumbnail as
filename.tbn where it matches filename.avi or filename.mkv or whatever media type.
Not sure will work for a .strm file though.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
yeah I use this same method for strm files like transcender mentions just get your thumb in the same folder as your video and name it the same as your video file.tbn
יונתן בן-חיים
Thanks guys just the answer I was looking for Big Grin
tbn is deprecated, try filename-poster.jpg.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Where did you see that tbn is deprecated? For a .strm file, I've tried filename.jpg, filename-poster.jpg, and that doesn't work. The only thing that works is filename.tbn.

Note : After changing the name of the thumbnail file, you have to go up one directory and reenter the directory containing the .strm file for the change to appear.

EDIT: my .strm files are music streams
(2014-05-21, 13:19)goundoulf Wrote: Where did you see that tbn is deprecated? For a .strm file, I've tried filename.jpg, filename-poster.jpg, and that doesn't work. The only thing that works is filename.tbn.

With Frodo the recommendation has been to use jpg/png extensions along with -fanart and -poster suffixes. The tbn extension is legacy (pre-Frodo) and no longer recommended at all, anywhere, and therefore it is "deprecated".
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I'm running XBMC 13.1 Git:84725b0 with the Confluence skin (on a RPi), and the only thing that works is .tbn files.

However, the thumbnails only show in the file browser, and don't show in music visualization.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I assign a thumbnail to a file?0