Release - Sonos Addon

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
rob_webset Offline
Fan
[Image: icon.png]

The XBMC Sonos Addon allows you to interact with your Sonos audio system. You can download the latest version from the official addon repo.

For more information you can have a look at the wiki entry:

Add-on:Sonos

Donations
If you have found the Sonos addon useful and would like to help support future development and bug fixes, then please feel free to make a small donation.
[Image: btn_donate_SM.gif]
(This post was last modified: 2014-05-30 12:38 by rob_webset.)
find quote
thos Offline
Cool, looks good! Just tested it now briefly, hooked up to my ZP120 no problem, and picked up my Spotify tunes being played.

What are the plans for it?
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
Good to hear that it is being tried out.

Plans I suppose pretty much depend on what people want it to do. At the moment it has the Notifications of what is playing and a very simple start/pause/skip set of operation (with no fancy gui).

I guess priorities are all based off of what people want most from it.

Rob
find quote
thos Offline
Personally, I'd love to see a Sonos add-on that act as more as a companion to the standard app/controller, rather than try to be a replacement. I'd like to be able to switch XBMC into a Sonos menu item, and display who's currently playing, track, playlist, what's next, album art, and some basic controls play/pause/nexy, and after that some music visualisation/artist information add-on integration. It would be a great party mode backdrop.

Currently I've got the Notification Check Frequency set very low, 3s, and the Display Notification set for it's max 60 seconds. I'm mainly using Sonoes with Spotify and the album art still gets picked up which is cool, not sure what resolution options this gives you to display larger or if it would be dependent on matching the artist/album and downloading from elsewhere.

I'm not much of a dev, but can do a little python hacking, so I'm happy to help with any testing or alpha releases. I've got a ZP80 & ZP120, but should be adding some new Play devices soon.

I'll be staying tuned to this, good luck!

Tom
find quote
kwasimo Offline
I am glad that a sonos plugin is being developed. I have a sonos play:5 and i already start to dislike it when using it in combination with xbmc. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound quality and all the radio/streaming features available. But previously I just used the sound on my tv, so only two remotes to take care of. Now, with the sonos, i have to separately take care of the sound and use my iPad for it.

Is there any way to control the Sonos from xbmc automaticaly when viewing something in xbmc. Perhaps use a button on the remote. I am thinking of automatically selecting line-in as the input when startup xbmc or push button on remote. Control the volume. When shutting down/sleep xbmc I want to pause/stop the line-in on the sonos, so it will enter the standby mode.

Can something like this be added to the plugin, and some way to customize it as needed. Using it from the program menu takes a lot of extra steps, while using the xbmc remote could be so much easier, without having to use yet another remote. Taking out the manual steps, by automating them would be preferred.

I am curious if this could become future functionality for the plugin.
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
Hi thos, kwasimo,

I'll try and answer the points that both have you have raised.

Firstly - any early testing of pre-releases is appreciated, should help keep the quality - so I may post occassional pre-releases onto this thread.

At the moment my main focus is to put together a usable controller from XBMC, then will move onto other ideas and features, including some automation and integration.

The controller would just be an additional way to control XBMC, not quite sure yet how many features of the Sonos system can be supported (But I believe over time - most of them should be possible).

@thos - I think we are thinking along similar lines with the controller - do you currently use a particular visualisation for your music on XBMC - it would be interesting to see how that behaves, and if integration will be possible.

@thos - It wasn't quite how I anticipated the notification being used - but if it suits your needs, then sounds good - the image is read directly via Sonos - so it really depends on the quality that gets returned.

@kwasimo - I currently only have a Play:1 so there is no line-in to my system - this will make it hard for me to add features that use a line-in

@kwasimo - Automatic responses based off what XBMC is doing (i.e. turning off the sonos speaker when XBMC shuts down) should be possible. I imagine once the controller is running, I may be able to look at this sort of thing.

@kwasimo - It should be possible to map buttons on your remote to different functions - there may even be another addon out there to do this for you.

@kwasimo - If you didn't want to go via the program menu each time, you can add a button to the home page - that is what I do on confluence (Should be able to search for how to do this for your skin)

Hope this answers all the queries

Rob
find quote
thos Offline
(2014-01-14 11:34)rob_webset Wrote:  @thos - I think we are thinking along similar lines with the controller - do you currently use a particular visualisation for your music on XBMC - it would be interesting to see how that behaves, and if integration will be possible.

@thos - It wasn't quite how I anticipated the notification being used - but if it suits your needs, then sounds good - the image is read directly via Sonos - so it really depends on the quality that gets returned.

I dont actually use any visualation at the moment, as I no longer keep my Music library with XBMC as Sonos is enough for me, but I have been looking again at some other tools, so I'll do some research and let you know. Something that did catch my eye was the Xsqueeze add-on which seems to be similar to a Sonos-type model, so you might get some ideas from that too.

The long-notification doesnt work great if you are changing tracks during the notification sleep time - so it would need to switch to a timer and keep the check loop going, I may take a look at this myself if I get a chance.

Keep up the good work!
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-14 11:46 by thos.)
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
(2014-01-14 11:46)thos Wrote:  The long-notification doesnt work great if you are changing tracks during the notification sleep time - so it would need to switch to a timer and keep the check loop going, I may take a look at this myself if I get a chance.

This should be solved when I deliver the controller - as that will be a dynamic controller which will display details of what is currently playing in the main dialog and have controls below it Cool

Rob
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-14 11:59 by rob_webset.)
find quote
thos Offline
OK cool, look forward to it, happy to test!
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
Hi All,

I'm still working on the controller, and come accross something that I can't find out myself.

Can some-one that has a Sonos with the line-in (Play5?) please send me details on what the "Line-In" control option looks like.

i.e. If there is a button you can toggle on and off for line in, what does it look like when it is enables, and what it is disabled?

And where is the button located?

Ideally on an iPad

Thanks

Rob
find quote
thos Offline
Hey,
Here's 4 photos from my iPad selecting Line In source on a ZP100

Main screen, showing Line In as a source.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/t...2a1982.png

After selecting Line In, show's my ZP100 line in feed
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/t...8b22b1.png

After clicking on the Audio Component from Bedroom zone
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/t...5af8a9.png

Standard display once the Line In source is playing.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/t...b801fc.png

Tom

BTW - when the source is not active, it just shows 'No selections available'.
(This post was last modified: 2014-01-23 16:37 by thos.)
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
That was quick! - Thanks

So Sonos have implemented it like you were selecting a "track" or "radio station" to listen to.

I had assumed that it would just be a toggle button! - In which case this will most probably have to wait for a later update (Unless I implement it differently - which I am not sure is a good idea for those familiar with the Sonos UI)

Will hopefully have something for some-one to beta test soon(ish) Big Grin

Rob
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
A new beta to play around with if anyone is interested:

http://robwebset.googlecode.com/svn/rele...-1.0.1.zip

Gives a nicer controller feel.

Please let me know how you get on

Rob
find quote
impmonkey Offline
Awesome work so far. Is there any chance you could get a now playing screen? It would be great for social gatherings. I could have the sonos system playing and the now playing screen up on the tv for people that are interested about the song etc.
find quote
rob_webset Offline
Fan
(2014-01-28 05:43)impmonkey Wrote:  Awesome work so far. Is there any chance you could get a now playing screen? It would be great for social gatherings. I could have the sonos system playing and the now playing screen up on the tv for people that are interested about the song etc.

I am currently working on changes to the controller. When that is done, you could start the controller up and leave it on the screen. Part of the controller will display the album art, track, album and artist.

Is this the sort of thing that you are looking for?

Rob
find quote