OS X Still no SMB with Mavericks
After updating to Mavericks I am unable to connect to SMB shares. When I try to add a share via SMB I get the following error-

I know there are ways to work around this although I consider them to be less than ideal. It was my understanding that with the most recent nightlies and Frodo 12.3 all SMB issues had been resolved, that's why I wanted to make sure this issue was documented although I'm not sure of the best place to post it.

System: MacPro (2008)
XBMC: 13.0alpha12 Git:20140126-9085482
Debug Log

This is primarily a test system I've setup. I won't upgrade my normal htpc until I'm sure most issues with Mavericks have been resolved. I'm glad to provide any more info that might be needed to help with that.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Whats the smb server? Also can you access the share with manually inputting the url? (e.x. smb://<username>:<password>@<ip>/<share>) - seems you are only trying to access it through the smb browser which fails for some reason.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-01-28, 14:12)Memphiz Wrote: Whats the smb server? Also can you access the share with manually inputting the url? (e.x. smb://<username>:<password>@<ip>/<share>) - seems you are only trying to access it through the smb browser which fails for some reason.

In the log I posted I had only tried the samba browser since I would really like to see it working. I had previously tried the Zeroconfig browser which listed all the shares available (AFP and SMB) but wouldn't connect. No surprise there though. I've never been able to get zeroconfig to work even before Mavericks.

I also tried manual entry once. It's possible that I may not have set it correctly. The NAS is a Drobo FS. The share requires no password so I used something like smb://10.0.1.11/Public/. Got a timeout. It could be that I need to use guest as a user name although I've never needed it before with the samba browser. I'll follow up with some more testing on that, but it would really be nice if I could get the samba browser working again. Do I need to enter the full path to my shared video folder on the NAS using the manual method? Never needed it before so I'm not sure if it actually has the ability to browse folders once it's connected to the server.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I'm experiencing the same problems. I tried a nightly from today (the 29th) and 26th and both refuse ANY smb connections. This worked fine previously. I have a manually entered path in my sources.xml. I hope a fix arrives soon.
I've gotten my smb connections working by manually adding the source as Memphiz suggested. The problem seems to be just with the smb browser. I've also noticed that if I try to connect other instances of xbmc (running on separate computers) to smb shares on the mac running Mavericks I get a "Broken Pipe" error. The other computers seem to connect ok just not the xbmc apps. Looks like maybe there are still a few issues with Apple's latest and (no so) greatest.
As I wrote, I don't use the SMB browser. I already have a correctly formatted SMB string. This worked for the last four years. Today I did a reinstall of Mavericks and installed an XBMC nightly. I put a backup of my settings back and am experiencing a complete lack of SMB functionality. Yes, I tried to add the path again through the interface but to no avail.

Connecting through the finder (using the good old Command-K) works fine. I'm guessing XBMC has a glitch...

I just did a quick lookup in the logs:

OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/XBMC
19:00:10 T:140735191167760 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/XBMC'
unix_err:'3c' error : 'Operation timed out'
(2014-01-29, 20:03)Pavla Wrote: As I wrote, I don't use the SMB browser. I already have a correctly formatted SMB string. This worked for the last four years. Today I did a reinstall of Mavericks and installed an XBMC nightly. I put a backup of my settings back and am experiencing a complete lack of SMB functionality. Yes, I tried to add the path again through the interface but to no avail.

Connecting through the finder (using the good old Command-K) works fine. I'm guessing XBMC has a glitch...

I just did a quick lookup in the logs:

OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/XBMC
19:00:10 T:140735191167760 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/XBMC'
unix_err:'3c' error : 'Operation timed out'

Have you tried using different user names? Just asking because I have one share that is attached to my network via an Airport Extreme and I had to use my full user name to get it to work. Always just needed a password before.
I have found the problem so I will put it here.
Apparently somewhere there's been a move from storing passwords in the path in sources.xml to storing the passwords in a replacing string in passwords.xml. And it so appears I had both: password in the sources.xml string and the replacing paths in passwords.xml. Most likely the username/password part from passwords.xml got concatenated with the sources.xml string, leading to a double username/password part.

The solution was simple: remove the username/password part from the sources.xml file.

A check for this legacy setup might be nice, issuing a warning that leaving username/passwords in sources.xml is deprecated.
Quote:Most likely the username/password part from passwords.xml got concatenated with the sources.xml string, leading to a double username/password part.

Nope, that doesn't happen. The user/pass should work fine from either sources.xml OR password.xml (OR both).

The only change that's been made is that by default, we don't store username/password in sources.xml when you add a source from the UI, so as they don't turn up in other places: Primarily the database. (If you add a source manually to sources.xml, it'll still be there - it's not recommended due to it being stored other places such as the database).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still no SMB with Mavericks0