Bug PVR addon not loaded if epg is downloaded
In raspbmc the livetv is not available until all programs/epg has been downloaded from backend. It always tell me the pvr addon has not loaded. It looks like the load order is incorrect. Make the download a background task only and don't block live tv, please.
We don't control this with this addon, we just provide the data/streams to xbmc when it asks for it.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I cannot say what happens there, but I expect that pvr starts always at system start with all channels populated and all sync is done in background. Part of the issue is that channels are not cached on the pi. I have 16gb sd card. There is enough space to cache a channel list :-)

When is the pvr addon loaded? After the channels have been synced, but before epg is completed? I have seen epg is synced in background and then i can start live tv.
The sequence is:
xbmc starts,
it then loads the pvr addon
starts the pvr addon
starts sending data retrieval requests to the pvr addon
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
My experience is:
  • Xbmc starts
  • PVR addon starts download of:
    • Channels
    • EPG
    • Recordings list
  • Now the progress bar finishes and you can start live tv. Before this last step you can try to start live tv, but it fails and tell you that pvr is NOT loaded. This sync task can take a serious amount of time. I guess - not less than 5 minutes if you have a lot of channels (1000) and recordings (600) and a long EPG time (14 days) configured.

Why is the PVR stuff not cached on the sd-card?

This can speed up the PVR start as there are nearly never any changes on channels, EPG changes very rare and you can download only the changes. No need for a full download - 99% can be in local cache. Records also do not change very often. Here I have ~600 recordings on WMC. The raspbmc hangs on this step for a very long time.

And it hangs often. In this case it never times out and you are also not able to init a reboot. It will simply not happen as sync locks up everything. It's easy to repro... Just cut the connection to WMC while the download bar is shown.
You should post this as a feature request to xbmc PVR. I would be right behind you. I just thought I had some setting wrong when I first installed the addon. Thought for sure there would be some option to only update PVR either manually or on set days. There is an option to update EPG after so many minutes, but that is in addition to the initial update that is done every time xbmc loads.

This is rather annoying, one if you are troubleshooting and doing a lot of restarts. And two, I am using eventghost to shutdown xbmc every time I sleep computer, and launch xbmc evetytime I resume from sleep. This helps force a HDMI handshake and prevents black screen on restart. But if I watch TV in that room a couple times a day I have to wait for EPG to update every time I turn on TV. Its fairly fast but still would be nice to be watching TV seconds after starting computer.

I keep referencing wmc as a standard for how PVR should work, but really it is done well there. I have no clue exactly how many times EPG is updated in wmc, or when it is, but it just always does its thing and I am unaware of it. As it should be IMO. So I have no idea why xbmc PVR feels the need to update every time its started and why maintaining a local cache is difficult.
This really suxxx. Have you expierenced the same behavior with other PVR addons? Is the PVR addon really not manging all the stuff? Asking me more and more what the PVR addon itself does.
(2014-01-12, 23:01)marc.bau Wrote: This really suxxx. Have you expierenced the same behavior with other PVR addons? Is the PVR addon really not manging all the stuff? Asking me more and more what the PVR addon itself does.

I've replied to your other thread. Really just trying to be friendly here, but you should take note of what Krusty, the developer of this add-on, has already told you. The information I can provide you is worthless compared to what he has already kindly provided you with.
It looks like I have not understood him.
As mentioned this is handled by XBMC core, the PVR addons cannot control this. This thread should be moved to general PVR support or development section as it isn't addon specific
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Per opdenkamp the problem must be caused by the addon or backend and is therefore a bug in wmc addon. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183391.

Please ask him how this need to be handled if you have questions. He looks like one of the maintainers of pvr core if I'm not totally wrong.
(2014-01-18, 14:36)marc.bau Wrote: Per opdenkamp the problem must be caused by the addon or backend and is therefore a bug in wmc addon. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183391.

Please ask him how this need to be handled if you have questions. He looks like one of the maintainers of pvr core if I'm not totally wrong.

OK, did you read what he said? Please read this part again
Quote: PVR in XBMC is fine, it's the slow hardware that you're using that's the problem. some code can definitely be improved, but the things you're mentioning are caused by your slow hardware and the amount of data (epg, recordings, channels) you're trying to load.

That is EXACTLY what you have been told here several times! I have over 200 channels and over 1tb of recorded TV and it takes about 3 seconds to load. My client is on a q9550 and gigabit lan. I think its fine that you are here asking questions, but you have to listen and at least contemplate what is being said.
It looks like you are reading different lines and you are mixing issues. See the topic here again, please.

(2014-01-14 22:38)marc.bau Wrote:
2. Start PVR with system boot, do not wait until EPG and Record list has been downloaded. To start PVR only the channel list is required. EPG can be a background task and recordings, too. Currently I cannot start LiveTV for about 5 minutes as it need to download all stuff. This suxx a lot.

opdenkamp Wrote:
"that must be a problem with your backend or add-on. even with a slow RPi, loading things from tvheadend is pretty quick"
You have misunderstood what opdenkamp said in that thread. He is not saying that our addon can allow you to watch liveTV when only the channels are loaded and not the EPG/recordings, he is just saying that if you are taking 5 minutes before you can watch things, there must be a problem somewhere. Post up some logs and let's see where the time is being taken
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR addon not loaded if epg is downloaded0