Required bandwidth?
What bandwidth is requires for tv streaming? I cannot get SD working with 30mbit wlan and HD also not. Does this really require network cables? I'm thinging about powerline adapters, but i hope wlan may work...
So many questions... Is it 30 megabit or did you mean 300? Are you on wireless N? What type of router? What type of client are you trying to stream to? As a test, have you tried it with a cable to see if it works that way?
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Keep in mind this addon streams the data without transcoding. So a standard def, half hour, wtv show is typically around 2GB in size. 30mbs is maybe fast enough to stream that, but just barely, are you really getting 30mbs sustained?

I agree with techlife, try a cable just as an experiment.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
It looks like a 150mbit wlan card from wmc htpc has only 53mbit connection to the core router. I had stutter already on a router connected pc... Beeing realistic you may get 1/3 of the shown bandwidth.

HD has ~6gb per hour. Cannot get anything started. :-(

But 2gb .m4v files work well...
Ok, I need 5mbit for SD and 14mbit for HD.
The problem with wlan is not the rated bandwidth - its that the actual performance is always a fraction of the rating, and at that is hugely variable.
You can try playing with antenna position, transmission frequencies (you will find some work better than others), buying a bigger receiving antenna etc., but what works well today might be crap tomorrow when your neighbour's router decides to use the same frequency as you.
The Xbox360 (if you have one) has a nice graphical tool for testing wifi when you put WMC extender on it. Failing that iperf is probably the best test.
I have wireless N running between a 2nd HTPC and my WMC server which seems to hold up pretty well but it's a very close connection. Powerline adapters are a pretty good option if they work in your situation, I tested some I bought for my parents, over this same connection and had about a 5x improvement in bandwidth (tested by copying files across the link), I havent actually put powerline adapters in myself though, since this is only a temporary solution for a 2nd HTPC which will move to a proper wired connection ultimately anyway. But I was impressed with the powerline adapters (got the NetComm higher speed ones). Incidentally thye also work great in their intended function in my parents house, they previously had alot of wireless issues getting a wireless bridge/repeater upstairs to work consistently and that is now hooked up over powerline kit, and working brilliantly. Definitely an option worth pursuing if you are having wireless issues
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Required bandwidth?0