Solved Intel NUC htpc setup, IR, harmony remote
OK, now I ordered this: http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/abel-h-series/

1 x ABEL 'H Series' Custom Build
Colour Option: Satin Black, ABEL Mainboard Options: Factory Installed D54250WYB - Core i5-4250U
SO-DIMM RAM - Slot 1: 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10666 (1333) - 1.35V
mSATA SSD Option: 120GB mSATA SSD

Please tell me it is overkill, yes... (I still go with the Openelec solution).

Would like to use my Harmony remote and use the guide in this thread.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
i tried both Ubuntu and Mint 16 (Cinnamon) and could not get DTS-HD MA or TrueHD working through my Onkyo receiver (connected directly to the NUC with HDMI)
it works perfectly fine with OpenElec with either Beta 1 or Beta 2

I even tried updating the Linux kernel with beta1 ... no joy.

I have an Intel® NUC Kit D34010WYK and would really like to use Mint16 64-Bit Cinnamon.

Excellent tutorial by the way!!
Thanks!

edit: i should add, it will be primarily used for XBMC but i would also like to see the TrueHD or DTS-MA working within O/S as well as XBMC. Has anyone achieved this?
Very interesting thread, thanks to everyone for sharing your findings!

I'll try this myself tomorrow but I have one question. I'm running XBMCbuntu, will the instructions still work the same way with this distribution of Linux?

I'm especially thinking about the automated script to enable CIR.

One more thing I forgot to ask, it was mentioned you need to disable some common addon in XBMC to let the NUC power off correctly but what exactly is that about?

My NUC powers off just fine from inside XBMC without disabling any addons. What I did though was to disable WOL in BIOS after a tip I found somewhere else. Without doing that the NUC will restart rather than shutdown.
Maybe this is the wrong thread but I just got my nuc and have installed openelec. I went ahead and bought a Logitech harmony remote. I have followed the intructions on how to get it to work> I must be doing something wrong bc it is not connecting to openelec at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction here.
(2014-04-17, 02:04)chefbry28 Wrote: Maybe this is the wrong thread but I just got my nuc and have installed openelec. I went ahead and bought a Logitech harmony remote. I have followed the intructions on how to get it to work> I must be doing something wrong bc it is not connecting to openelec at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction here.

Try this: http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...c?start=30

See post #31
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Thanks Ipaddle
Hey NUC-HTPC, thanks a lot for this great guide! It will probably really come in useful once I get my own new NUC and try to set it up with my Harmony 525 I have laying around. I am curios though, while I understand why you did not opt for OpenELEC (you specifically said you wanted to do things such as accessing a web browser, which isn't really possible with OpenELEC), why did you not install XBMCbuntu, the Linux distro which is specifically designed to run XBMC based on Lubuntu (which is basically Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop environment, though any other desktop environment such as Ubuntu's Unity can also be installed without too much effort). This way you could have basically skipped problems 3 and 4.
(2014-04-17, 04:10)Ipaddle Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 02:04)chefbry28 Wrote: Maybe this is the wrong thread but I just got my nuc and have installed openelec. I went ahead and bought a Logitech harmony remote. I have followed the intructions on how to get it to work> I must be doing something wrong bc it is not connecting to openelec at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction here.

See post #31

Okay I went through the proper steps but for whatever reason when trying to get putty to work with my ip address on my laptop it will not accept it. Im at a total loss. I read that intels IR is not working and that's why I have to go through these steps to correct it. So with that being said cant I just buy a IR dongle? or Maybe return this and get something else that is more compatible with the nuc? I was also told that it works fine with windows so maybe I will go ahead and purchase windows to load xbmc through.
(2014-04-17, 23:12)chefbry28 Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 04:10)Ipaddle Wrote:

See post #31

Okay I went through the proper steps but for whatever reason when trying to get putty to work with my ip address on my laptop it will not accept it. Im at a total loss. I read that intels IR is not working and that's why I have to go through these steps to correct it. So with that being said cant I just buy a IR dongle? or Maybe return this and get something else that is more compatible with the nuc? I was also told that it works fine with windows so maybe I will go ahead and purchase windows to load xbmc through.

Did you read this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Ssh_commands

The IR receiver is working but not with openelec (linux), yet. Changes/adjustments have to be made.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

yes but when entering my ip it says network error connection refused. I am putting in the correct ip im positive of that. Maybe it has something to do with the ip address on my laptop im using putty from?
First network test is ping.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-18, 01:50)chefbry28 Wrote: yes but when entering my ip it says network error connection refused. I am putting in the correct ip im positive of that. Maybe it has something to do with the ip address on my laptop im using putty from?

SSH is enabled in openelec settings, yes?
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Okay update Ive gotten through the ssh process but I must be doing something wrong within harmonies setup bc I cant get it to connect to xbmc. I think it has something to do with the inputs it asks me to assign. Is there anyway I could downgrade my software to be able to better follow the instructions given to setup mce in Logitech?
(2014-04-21, 17:20)chefbry28 Wrote: Okay update Ive gotten through the ssh process but I must be doing something wrong within harmonies setup bc I cant get it to connect to xbmc. I think it has something to do with the inputs it asks me to assign. Is there anyway I could downgrade my software to be able to better follow the instructions given to setup mce in Logitech?

Have you add the following device (on myharmony.com): Media Center PC SE
You have to look for a Microsoft device.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

(2014-04-21, 18:45)Ipaddle Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 17:20)chefbry28 Wrote: Okay update Ive gotten through the ssh process but I must be doing something wrong within harmonies setup bc I cant get it to connect to xbmc. I think it has something to do with the inputs it asks me to assign. Is there anyway I could downgrade my software to be able to better follow the instructions given to setup mce in Logitech?

Have you add the following device (on myharmony.com): Media Center PC SE
You have to look for a Microsoft device.

ok under devices I have put Microsoft as the manufacturer and media center pc se as the model number. For the activities I have added my nuc and media center pc se. I then assigned no inputs to either

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC htpc setup, IR, harmony remote3