OpenElec RPi Gotham - Tvheadend Service Interfers with IR remote.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RichG Offline
Hi

I've been having a strange issue with the TvHeadend service for OpeneElec on my Raspberry Pi.

On the stable build (3.2.4 / Frodo) everything works well. But i've been trying recent dev builds of Gotham and have been getting strange problems which disappear when I stop the TvHeadend service.

When the system starts up at first I can use my remote control as normal, then over the next few minutes it becomes less and less responsive to the point where I have to press a button maybe ten or more times before the gui responds.

If I ssh into the Pi and kill the TvHeadend process the remote goes back to normal working for a while, but again slowly becomes unresponsive after TvHeadend restarts.

If I disable the service completely in the Add-On settings I do not see the issue at all.

I've tried two separate remote control systems, the first using a GPIO receiver with LIRC and the other a FLIRC USB adaptor which emulates a normal USB keyboard (no LIRC) - both behave the same. A wireless USB keyboard is not effected and seems to work fine.

TvHeadend is used with a generic IT9135 USB TV adaptor plugged straight into the RPI's USB port. And the PSU has plenty of capacity being 3 amps, so don't think that is the likely issue.

As I said, the system works fine with Frodo, but I would like to get it working in Gotham.

Any ideas? Thanks.
find quote
dhead Offline
Donor
I'm not sure if related but have you tried a different dongle ?
The generic ITE IT9135 dongles that I've tried never worked well with the RPi.

The IT9135 based WandTV seems to work ok and also a Realtek RT2832U based dongle (the "Mini form factor" not the full stick size).
find quote
RichG Offline
(2014-01-14 04:39)dhead Wrote:  I'm not sure if related but have you tried a different dongle ?
The generic ITE IT9135 dongles that I've tried never worked well with the RPi.

The IT9135 based WandTV seems to work ok and also a Realtek RT2832U based dongle (the "Mini form factor" not the full stick size).

No I've not tried another dongle but will at some point soon if I can find one to borrow.

However, I found that my current dongle worked surprisingly well with Frodo, it's when trying the dev builds of Gotham that I've had this problem.
find quote
00b5 Offline
Just my .02, but I think you might have answered your own question.

I would suggest trying a powered usb hub. Plug all the usb devices into it. See if that makes a difference.

**I don't have a Pi, and I don't have a usb tv dongle, but I've seen COUNTLESS threads about Pis and multiple usb devices causes issues.
find quote
RichG Offline
(2014-01-24 17:39)00b5 Wrote:  Just my .02, but I think you might have answered your own question.

I would suggest trying a powered usb hub. Plug all the usb devices into it. See if that makes a difference.

**I don't have a Pi, and I don't have a usb tv dongle, but I've seen COUNTLESS threads about Pis and multiple usb devices causes issues.

Ah yes - good idea. I will try a powered hub soon and report back.
find quote
RichG Offline
Finally tried this with a powered USB hub and it has made no difference.

As I said this setup worked fine with Frodo and older builds of Gotham so it appears to be related to something recently introduced in either OpenELEC, TVHeadend or Gotham.

I have to choose between either my having my IR remote or Live TV working. Or I guess I could go back to an older version and accept the performance hit from that Sad
find quote
negge Offline
Posting Freak
As always, no one can do anything but speculate unless you provide a debug log.
find quote