OS X Supplementary app
I think it would be awesome if there was an app I could install on my IPad that would let me stream my content from my Mac mini XBMC setup. Like my own personal netflix. Open app on iPad and then just select the content you want to watch. It'll stream it regardless if format.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
Install xbmc on your ipad and then activate the upnp server on your mac ... add the upnp server on the ipads xbmc and be done.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
What's a upnp server? Sorry I know nothing about networking.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
XBMC is, among other things, a UPnP server :)

XBMC -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Share library something something

Then on any XBMC instance, including XBMC for iOS (requires jailbreak) go to Videos -> Files and add the UPnP source as a file source. If you can't jailbreak your iPad, VLC for iOS (free) is able to connect to XBMC's UPnP shared library and play all the videos.
Cool ok so I went to setting services UPnP and enabled share video and music libraries but I'm having a bit of trouble adding the source on my other XBMC. And by doing this I'll be able to access my movies from anywhere? like my iPad or macbook would be able to access the movies on my mac mini at home?

thanks for the help
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
It's more of something for a local network. I don't think UPnP works over the internet, even with port forwarding. It would require something like a VPN, and only if you had a really good internet connection on both sides. It would be more practical to have XBMC feed into some other transcoding server/program, and have that not only handle the internet connection, but also transcode the video incase the connection wasn't fast enough. There are long term plans for XBMC to gain a transcoding server eventually, so one day this could all be done within XBMC.
ok so I went exactly where you said and set it up. so now how do I get my macbook to access it? On my macbook I went to videos add files upnp and my mac mini does not appear am i doing something wrong?
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
Do any UPnP servers show up? I once has a weird issue where EyeConnect's UPnP server would prevent XBMC UPnP servers from showing up.
no nothing shows up at all. but maybe i did something wrong?
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
Ok It shows up and i set it as my path for my movies and tv shows i believe. but it doesn't show which have been watched unwatched. I thought thats what was supposed to happen for example if i watch one episode of a show on my macbook when i go to my mac mini it'll show that episode as viewed and vice versa.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
Watched sharing only works on nightly builds (wiki). Well, the code is in there for Frodo, but they never got it working under the Frodo code.
so that will be in gotham maybe? it would be cool to set it up exactly how I want it (choose a default machine?) on my mac mini and load up my macbook and have it be exactly the same from theme to which images i have selected etc
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Supplementary app0