XBMC 12.3 Frodo crashes when playing certain video files
Hello everybody,

I've been setting up a new htpc with ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC 12.3 Frodo. With the default drivers (GPU: AMD HD 6450) XBMC launched with a slow, sluggish GUI so I installed the proprietary AMD catalyst drivers 13.12 which solved that problem.
Unfortunately there is another problem when playing certain video files. Some .avi and some .mkv crash xbmc (loading animation in the lower right appears for a short time then XBMC closes). Other .avi files open without problems.
Here is the log and the crash file of one of the sessions.
Log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=109732
Crash Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=109733
During a web search I found a post from 2013 which says that all catalyst drivers up from 12.10 don't work and cause 100% CPU load, but I guess, that's not the problem and hopefully has been resolved by now in the new drivers version.

I reinstalled XBMC several times (from software center and from terminal following several online guides), the last time with the following commands.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install xbmc

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Disable vdpau and upgrade to Alpha 12. It's long solved. Was a non initialized member var.

Quote:19:23:09 T:140069814802304 NOTICE: Starting XBMC (13.0-ALPHA9 Git:2f48380). Platform: x86 Linux 64-bit

That's not the stable version from that above repository.

Edit: Your AMD does not use VDPAU when fglrx is installed, therefore disable it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi Fritsch,

Thanks for your fast answer, I've been trying to upgrade xbmc to the newest alpha without success since then. I also tried to remove XBMC 13 and install XBMC 12.3 by removing repositories but only crashed apt (backup ftw). Any time I reinstall XBMC or add another repository for the stable version, XBMC 13 Alpha 9 is installed.

At least I think I was able to install XBMC without VDPAU using the software center. Before the installation it was possible to uncheck the VDPAU Addon by clicking on "more info" . So now I have a XBMC 13 Alpha 9 without VDPAU and the problem persists.

Sorry for my lack of skill concerning ubuntu and xbmc. Sad
Hi there,

finally got xbmc to work correctly. Succeeded in installing xbmc 12.03 which works fine. Thanks for your help Fritsch!

Chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.3 Frodo crashes when playing certain video files0