Linux VAAPI causes freeze on stop only on 12.3 - OpenSUSE and Arch
I'm going to try return my new motherboard tomorrow as a result of these issues. Sad
Asus P8H77-V LE, BIOS 0237 | Intel i5 3470 3.2ghz | 8GB RAM | TX750W Corsair PSU | 60GB OCZ SSD | 500GB data drive
That does not look as a mainboard issue at all. This is something else. It does not freeze, it only hangs. You can ssh in while it hangs? If yes, attach via gdb.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Not the hanging issue, that is software. How would I 'attach' GDB to a running instance? Yes I can ssh in when it hangs.

The issue I'm referring to is that I get no HDMI audio when iommu is enabled on the mainboard Supermicro X10SAT. Something my ancient cheap ASUS board can do just fine!
Asus P8H77-V LE, BIOS 0237 | Intel i5 3470 3.2ghz | 8GB RAM | TX750W Corsair PSU | 60GB OCZ SSD | 500GB data drive
Still working on this, I've found that freeze only happens when codec info is h268-vaapi, mpeg2video-vaapi is fine.

Like I said in my first post, SD video seems fine, HD has problem. Although Alexktz seems to have issue with all files ?

I remember on ubuntu-mini guide I installed a ppa for some VA patches, could it be related ?

This is arch
Code:
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_34
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.34 (libva 1.2.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.2.2
I have the issue with all files that use vaapi yes.
mpeg2 aswell ?
(2014-01-17, 21:13)alexktz Wrote: I see no issue with running as root really. It's only playback, what harm can it do? It's also the default in Arch.

What? Root is never default on any distribution. You have root only for the Arch linux installation. Have you even read the Manual at all? Soon after the installation you create the default user.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins...management

Don't do false statements about what is default on Arch Linux please.
I might have an update to this. I've been experiencing hangs on some video streams (local disk and youtube), sometimes when I stop (x) and sometimes when the video comes to an end.
I'm running Arch Linux, and XBMC Gotham 13.1, however I've had hangs since a 12.x release.
I'm also using Pulse audio, but I'm running on Nvidia with the NVIDIA binary driver.
I run the xbmc-standalone binary, and it is the only X application running.

The most recent hang, froze on the last frame of the video, and the UI was totally unresponsive to keyboard commands.
I attached GDB to the running xbmc, and ran "thread apply all bt". The output is at http://pastebin.com/qYLhEysB

When I quit the debugger, XBMC miraculously unfroze, and seemed to be working again just fine.
The output from my xbmc.log at this time is at http://pastebin.com/caiLXDme
XBMC froze at 19:44:22.
I detached the debugger at 20:26:12.

Hopefully this can be useful. I unfortunately did not have XBMC running in debug mode. I'm running just the standard archlinux PKGBUILD from the main repos.

I'm happy to try more debugging with whatever options someone would like to track this annoying issue down. I typically have it happen about once a day.
looks like your xbmc version was compiled with external libav... Try with a proper version with our own internal ffmpeg.
Ok, so, if I recompiled with this configure "./configure --disable-debug", with no external patches, and I'm still seeing the same hang issue, how would I proceed with this issue then?

Note: If I attach GDB to the "hung" xbmc, using "gdb -p [pid]", and then type "quit", and select "Y" for detaching and quitting anyway, everything un-hangs, and proceeds as it normally should..

Have I not built correctly? Is there some other configure flag I should be using to make sure I'm building against the internal ffmpeg? And yes, I just downloaded the 13.1 sources, and compiled those.
how about opening a new thread. you neither use XBMC 12.3 nor vaapi.
Hi, I have a backtrace of this (under archlinux, I reproduce this everytime when I stop a HD movie or exit from XBMC, and use VAAPI).

http://pastebin.com/bSwHU3Af

Does it help ?
there is no support for XBMC 12.3 anymore. open a new thread if you observe issues with a supported version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI causes freeze on stop only on 12.3 - OpenSUSE and Arch0