Linux xbmc will not connect to backend
ok i have been trying for the last week to get my live tv working

i started with a ubuntu server with tvheadend setup and when the channel mapping wouldn't work with ota i decided to try mythtv setup

i started with a new install of ubuntu server, got the tuner card working, got the mythtv backend set up and tested it with mythtv frontend.

my problem is when i started the pvr client in xbmc and put the server host name in, it just keeps telling me failed to connect to mythtv database. is this a problem with username and password? if so how do i change it or find out what it is? or is it something with the way the server is setup or not having something on the server.

i had the same problem with the tvheadend and don't for the live of me remember how i fixed it

thanks alot guys!!!
Do you have mysql listening the network? Firewall ports blocked?
sorry have no idea what you are asking. im a noob
There 2 things you need to check.

1. You can find the database password in the file /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

2. Which version of mythtv are you running? version 0.27 isn't supported with xbmc frodo by default. You can use either the latest nightly of xbmc or somewhere in the forum there is a compiled version of the addon that runs with frodo.
ok so now that i updated the xbmc client... i can't log into the backend config on the server. it just says mythtv can not connect to the data base. i'm not really sure what is going on now. last night i could log on and use myths frontend now nothing. it must be some thing with the network i was trying to get my samba set up by using this step by step

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-...lders.html

hope that can tell you what i messed up haha. thanks guys for helping a noob learn something
Ok, so check the next thing.

open your mysql configuration file

sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

check if a line bind-adress = [IP] exists.
if yes change it to #bind-adress = [IP], save the file and restart your backend.

This setting is used to decide from which IP address a database connection is allowed. usually this is only 127.0.0.1. It is not possible to specify more than one address so you need to disable it completly, allowing access from all clients.

i forgot, there is another thing you can check.
login to a mysql prompt with sudo mysql -p and enter your root password.
prompt should look like "mysql>" now. Enter select host,user from mysql.user; (dont forget the ; at the end).
One line should look like "| % | mythtv |".
This should be the default so i don't think you need to change something here. Exit mysql prompt with \q
ok so i did that and i still can't run backend config any more. what command would i run to uninstall it so i can start over
Are XBMC and the backend on the same machine?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
no but it will be

im at the point were i'm thinking im going to start over. anyone have some good howtos for what i want, i'm not really sure what is the best/easiest distro to start with: mythbuntu, xbmcbuntu or what i have been working on ubuntu server?

what i want out of this setup:
media server for my network both windows and linux
i want to use snap raid
mythtv backend for all my xbmc setups
and i want it to boot up to xbmc for the last tv in the house that doesnt have it!!

my hardware
amd x4 i think its 3.4ghz
gigabyte MB
3 2TB hdds
1 320gb hdd for os (thinking i mite get a ssd)
hauppauge hvr 2250 tunner

i havent figured out what video card i'm going to get for it yet, looking for something cheep and easy to set up in linux. for now i'm just using the on board
All in MY opinion of course, but I am a long time linux and mythtv user, so with that in mind:

1. Use mythbuntu 12.04. (If you can wait a few months 14.04 will be on us, mythbuntu only supports LTS releases and I'll be going to the next LTS in May or so) Get mythbackend and frontend working. When you install choose an option that is for sharing mythtv on the network (you should get some questions about this, do NOT take the "easy" way and think "I'll just get it set up on this machine first" - make sure all sharing options are set to share over the LAN.

2. Use mythbuntu repos (activated in mythbuntu control centre) and set it to 0.27. Then you will need to do a
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
to get libmyth updated to 0.27. This will NOT upgrade to a later version of ubuntu, but will upgrade myth to 0.27 (which is a version change not normally allowed by apt-get upgrade).

3. Samba sharing is set up by default in mythbuntu (that might be an install option too). I simply cut and paste new shares into /etc/samba/smb.conf

4. I don't do RAID - I probably should. I combine my various drives into two big shares (/mnt/tv and /mnt/movies) via mhddfs. https://romanrm.net/mhddfs .

5. Install xbmc from whatever ppa takes your fancy. There are various ways to make it start on bootup. Personally my machines boot to mythfrontend and I start XBMC from a menu, but that's because I was a myth user before I was a XBMC user.

6. Without a doubt for linux a fanless nvidia card is what you want for video. GT610 GT520 GT220 are all available fanless and will hardware accelerate up to bluray and probably beyond. They can be under $50 on newegg from what I have seen/heard.

Theres probably a lot I have forgotten to include, but happy to answer questions.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
will there really be a big difference in 14.04?
and is there a way to only have the mythtv backend, i don't think i will ever use it

thanks by the way for helping me out
You don't think you will ever use what? The mythtvfrontend? Don't install the frontend (although it is useful as a sanity test that the backend is working).

Or install it (see "sanity test" above) but don't have it start by default. Have XBMC start by default.

14.04 will have mythtv 0.27 by default, although will still need updating to the latest 0.27-fixes after you install. However the important thing is that it will have far more up to date other packages and 2 more years support than 12.04. Just saying, if your system at present is OK, I would wait 3 months and go 14.04. If you need to install now go 12.04.
ok well at the moment the system is not working, so i think i will give it a try that way when 14 comes out i will have most of my kinks worked out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc will not connect to backend0