how to MOD a skin? for the brave but unskilled
i apologize if this post is in the wrong place, to long r covered before. seemed like a good place to start.

i have been using xbmc for a year now. and have caught the skinning bug.
one big problem - i have never even considered programming and know less than nothing about it and only use the terminal when given step by step instruction. my background is as a graphic designer and cgi photo illustrator. the other issue is i am using a mac.

so i began by changing fonts and sizes using text wrangler and have had good results.
now i would like to dive deeper into skinning. i have played around with moving screen items around, replacing an item here or there, but that is the extent of my experience so far.

i am most interested at this time in the visual graphics and layout more than features and functions.
for this reason i decided to use an existing mod of confluence as my base. both as a way to start learning as well as because it has a balance of features and a simple design to build from and add to.

the first obstacle i ran into was gaining access to the textures. i have not found a way to open the texture.xbt file nor find the uncompressed version.

so how far am i in over my head?
I am good at learning new things of all kinds but i need a starting point. a frame of reference and an overview of the topic to begin learning. i am a jump in and learn on the job type. i only need a little guidance and a conceptual understanding of the subject to get started. sorry to say but this forum is my only resource at this time.

i have read through the skinning wiki, the skinning manual, and the skinning for beginners thread in skin development. i am lost. i think the beginners guide assumes a basic level of programming. it is not for an idiot that wants to learn programing and skinning at the same time. yes that's me!

thank you so much for reading and any advice you can offer.

thank you again
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182210
thank you.
brilliant response to a long winded question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to MOD a skin? for the brave but unskilled0