which free processor
NooB here.

Looking to build a XBMC DVR and I have the option of 2 different systems for free and wondering which processor below is recommended.

Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 2.8GHZ, 1 MEGB, 533FSB
or
Pentium M Dothan, 1.8GHZ, 2 MEGB, 400FSB

Thank you.
Xbmc is not a dvr.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-13, 21:45)nickr Wrote: Xbmc is not a dvr.

Really? That's not helpful at all... Why even post?

@Glenh218,
XBMC CAN function like a DVR. Can you be a little more specific on the complete specs? I would think either one of those processors would work in a single or maybe even a dual tuner setup, depending on which back end you plan to use. I have three zotac clients running atom processors that have no problems playing XBMC content. I have also heard a few people use the same zotac machines with tuners as the media server.

All that to say, it depends on a few factors. What other parts are you using in your setup?

1. The hard drive(s)?
2. The video card?
3. TV tuner(s)?
4. PVR Backend?
5. Wireless clients?

Good luck!
Wile E.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
XBMC doesn't function as a DVR, the backend does and XBMC is merely the frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
While the CPUs you mentioned are powerful enough they're old and power hungry so perhaps not the best choice for a dedicated system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which free processor0