Bug LiveTV channels and EPG not cached
I have an rpi myself and i find the performance of doing almost anything (not specifically xbmc) pretty poor! Dont get me wrong, itsa fantastic breakthrough device for the price, but for example I put Sickbeard on there and it literally takes 30s-60s just to refresh/load a webpage. Perhaps my experience isnt representative of others but when I see issues of peopole complaining of things running slow on rpi's I tend to realte that to my own experience running sickbeard etc on one and sort of think "well what do you expect?" Smile
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I'm actually amazed how well XBMC is working on the RasPi, especially recent OE/Millhouse nightlies.
For those having poor performance (other than the obvious CPU bottleneck on high CPU consuming tasks), how much RAM do your models have? The old 256MB model might have more issues than the 512MB one.
My initial impressions were pretty much the same, but after blowing off the dust and trying it again recently I was very impressed with how well it runs xbmc using Milhouse Gotham openelec builds.

My pi's are both 512mb over clocked to 1000/500/500 with openelecs /storage/* folder mounted to a 16gb USB 3.0 sandisk extreme.
@EPGgrid on the RasPI
just tested PVR on my PI. Import on startup took like 20 sec for 66 channels (don't need more, thus removed crap backend side). First time EPG grid loading took like 10-15 sec and subsequent views only 1-2 secs.

One thing we could improve (if not yet done) would be to delay any other background task (like addon updates) until PVR is loaded.
What backend was that using? - I may do some tests later with different channel numbers to see if there is some sort of peak value where the performance starts to drop dramatically.
Does it make a noticeable difference on the pi if you are loading 1 or 2 days vs loading whatever the max days is? 10? If it cuts the time significantly there are other ways to do your epg browsing and scheduling than trying to do all that on the pi. If you have Ceton tuners you could use their app My Media Center on your phone, or Another is Remote Media Center, which I believe works with any tuner. The Ceton app might not even care what tuner you use. Anyways taking some of the load off the pi would be my way. Also Marc, I don't believe you mentioned why you have to have 900 channels? More power to you if it's just because you can, but it looks like you could minimize a lot of your frustration if you weren't asking so much from an underpowered device.
Whilst it does make a difference to only load 1 day, I think that highlights the issue. I've watched what actually happens when the EPG loads, and it would appear that it tries to load the entire EPG database all at once and then process that. I think it would be better if it only loaded what was required for the current viewport + maybe 200% in either direction. So, if six channels appear on screen at one time showing 1 hour of programmes, load the six in view + 12 before those channels + 12 after those channels + 2 hours worth of programmes. Then load the extra data as a user scrolls.
all epg data is loaded into memory. lazy loading would make the epg completely unusable on slow devices like the pi.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2014-02-03, 22:53)opdenkamp Wrote: all epg data is loaded into memory. lazy loading would make the epg completely unusable on slow devices like the pi.

I'm not so sure. I know that's how old Sky UK boxes did it. It's extremely slow on the Pi at the moment (might be rendering?). I've tried it on numerous USB stick installs, as well as SSD. Is this something that's done at the PVR plugin level, or is it actually compiled code? If it's the plugin, if you point in the direction of where to find it, I can take a look, if you like.

Thanks.
the rendering/updating/loading code of the epg window isn't very efficient and things can be locked while data is being imported. that's what's causing the delay and what should be improved.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2014-02-04, 02:20)opdenkamp Wrote: the rendering/updating/loading code of the epg window isn't very efficient and things can be locked while data is being imported. that's what's causing the delay and what should be improved.

Ah OK. I might take a look at the code at the weekend if I get time. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LiveTV channels and EPG not cached0