• 4(current)
Linux PulseAudio Sink
(2014-01-21, 10:27)fritsch Wrote: @Franz: Thanks very much.

You are welcome Peter.

Page could always do with improvements but not being able to test this myself doesn't allow me better understanding by doing. Here is to hoping other users will help out.
Hi everyone.
I would like to ask some questions about Active AE in Gotham.
1) How does Gotham enumerate ALSA devices? In Frodo with my ASUS Xonar DX sound card I've got this:
Code:
Device 2
    m_deviceName      : @:CARD=DX,DEV=0
    m_displayName     : Xonar DX
    m_displayNameExtra: Multichannel
    m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_PCM
    m_channels        : FL,FR,BL,BR,FC,LFE,SL,SR
    m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,64000,88200,96000,176400,192000
    m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE
Then I installed Gotham from nightly ppa on my Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 and I've got this:
Code:
Device 2
    m_deviceName      : @:CARD=DX,DEV=0
    m_displayName     : Xonar DX
    m_displayNameExtra: Multichannel
    m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_PCM
    m_channels        : FL,FR
    m_sampleRates     : 48000
    m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_S32NE
As You can see, analog output is capable 48000 Hz sample rate & stereo only, while in Frodo I had multichannel device with full sample rate range. Pulseaudio isn't started in both cases.
So, the question is - why is it so and is there a way to change this?
2) Is there any more technically detailed documentation about AE, for example with description of resampling algorithm and channel mixing matrix?
Thanks a lot!
Ubuntu 13.10 uses DMIX by default, the 48khz you see here is the dmix sampling rate. Configure your system correctly and it will show all sample rates. This has nothing to do with the PASink.

Documentation: AESinkALSA.cpp

Edit: Make a test with OpenELEC to verify that it's working: http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...=330#96248

PS: I refuse to look at any cut logfiles. Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks fritsch! Sorry for cut logfiles.

I've added new ALSA device by ~/.asoundrc and Gotham enumerated it with all sample rates and channels.
I've quit flooding PA thread with ALSA. Blush
Very interesting. Small question : my AVR is only able to decode AC3, not DTS, so I only check the AC3 box in PulseAudio. When I play a movie with DTS sound, will it be converted to AC3 before being sent to the passthrough output?
Yes.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK. I've just built XBMC from source today, and passthrough is not working for me: I've configured PulseAudio as required, only the AC3 checkbox is set both in PulseAudio and XBMC, transcoding is enabled, but my AC3 movie makes no sound, as does my DTS movie (which seems normal since it's being converted to AC3). So there seem to be something wrong with passthrough. XBMC's navigation sounds work though.
In xbmc.log I get:

Code:
NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, pass-through)
  ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed
  ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
NOTICE: Thread AESinkNull start, auto delete: false
WARNING: ActiveAE::Configure - sink returned large buffer of 250 ms, reducing to 80 ms

Do you want me to file a bug report, or is it still in development and not supposed to work just yet?
I need your guisettings.xml and a full debug log.

Concerning passthrough: When any other program on your system has access to this pulseaudio device, passthrough won't work. You can start xbmc windowed and check the programms currently using pulse via pavucontrol. Passthrough always means exlcusive mode.
Here are the two files : http://paste.fedoraproject.org/76487/13921991/
Yes, nothing is playing besides XBMC, I'm already running it windowed with pavucontrol alongside.
Thanks a lot for helping.
Could you turn on debug logging, please?
Please also try this:

fritsch Wrote:gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=/home/yourHome/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.ac3 ! ac3parse ! pulsesink device=0

Change the device=0 to your actual device. The test sample is here: http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html
Sorry for the delay. Here is the log in debug mode:

This is the output of the command you requested: http://paste.fedoraproject.org/76552/92215594
(the pulseaudio error is at T:140241391056640)

Code:
$ LANG=C gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=$HOME/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.ac3 ! ac3parse ! pulsesink device=0
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink0: Failed to connect stream: Not supported
Additional debug info:
pulsesink.c(1018): gst_pulseringbuffer_acquire (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink0
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

I'm a bit worried by the "Failed to connect stream: Not supported" message. Nothing is playing when I'm running it, and XBMC is closed. The "pacmd list-sink-inputs" command returns nothing. Could it be a problem with my pulseaudio install or version?
Try pactl list sinks
It looks like pa Problem in your side. The gst command has to Work first.
This is the output of "pactl list sinks": http://paste.fedoraproject.org/76556/13922165
Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try to get the gst-launch command to work first.
OK, it came from my side indeed. I used to run Pulsaudio 3.0, I've updated to the new release of my Linux distribution which now has Pulseaudio 4.0, and everything works as expected with a build of today's HEAD. Thanks a lot for your help.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PulseAudio Sink0