• 8(current)
Linux PulseAudio Sink
thank you very much for your time.

I forgot to mention that I tried to set the default to 48000 and the alternative to 44100, but xbmc still resampled audio to 44100.

I'm going to try your patch asap.
Any chance this will be merged in the Gotham branch?
Pick the original from here the PR itself. Yes I am asking so that it can go into gotham.

There are other changes pending - especially concerning volume reset - you can pick all of them.

44.1, 48khz: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4511
Volume restore: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4502
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Did it work as you expected it to do?

Edit: I went back into the PA irc channel and asked what to do. They said: Just send whatever you have, so I reverted that "samplerate change" behaviour and everything is as it was before. Will be merged into gotham branch when one of the RMs picks it up. It's already in master.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,

No, it did not resolve the problem, resampling to 44100 still occurs.
I´ve seen your patch in mater, I'm going to try it.

thanks
When pulse resamples out of xbmc, then probably your PA is busy with other streams, that run in 44.1 khz. I checked that on my setup and it worked as it should.

I have daemon.conf set to:
default-sample-rate = 44100
alternate-sample-rate = 48000

and it worked okayish.

Btw. with my last patch commited - I will send out whatever samplerate I get. You can verify that with xbmc.log - if PA does something else after that - I cannot influence that.

Be sure to use the master branch, it's not yet picked.
I tried this latest patch and it works perfectly for me. thank you!

Also I think resampling was done by xbmc and not PA. I'm sure no other streams locked PA to 44100.
bye
It depends on your settings. If you set xbmc to fixed with samplerate xy - xbmc will only output that sample rate. If you select best match, xbmc will (after the changes I pushed before) keep the sample rate of the input file - for pulse to whatever do with it.

After the streams leaves xbmc - we have no single influence on the sample rate.
This has to be the shittiest change ever. I had HD-audio working perfectly until XBMC forced me to use the even more shitty PulseAudio. Now I can only enjoy either multichannel sound on my receiver or the sub-par DTS and Dolby Digital. </rant>

How do I revert back? What would happen if I removed PulseAudio?

(2014-03-19, 10:14)fritsch Wrote: Just remove pulseaudio if you don't want to use it. I rewrote it for gotham cause I believe in "sane users", e.g. who has installed it, wants to use it. DTS-HD / TrueHD support will come into xbmc after PA starts supporting it.

Problem is that people use their media centers for more than XBMC, thus Ubuntu is fairly common, and comes with pulse audio. Also, DTS-HD / TrueHD worked flawlessly before, but after this change I can only get the downsampled crap, how come?
Just read: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pul...ve_both.3F
Quote:Problem is that people use their media centers for more than XBMC, thus Ubuntu is fairly common, and comes with pulse audio. Also, DTS-HD / TrueHD worked flawlessly before, but after this change I can only get the downsampled crap, how come?

Exactly this is the reason why we have pulseaudio now. Most people have a normal desktop and are not interested in passthrough, dts-hd, truehd at all. They want that xbmc incorporates into their desktop, works parallel with their mail client, works in parallel to their system notifications, games and so on. Concerning the logs we receive the passthrough users are at a minority of about 20%. And out of those 20% only 1% is running pulseaudio.
(2014-05-25, 09:36)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Problem is that people use their media centers for more than XBMC, thus Ubuntu is fairly common, and comes with pulse audio. Also, DTS-HD / TrueHD worked flawlessly before, but after this change I can only get the downsampled crap, how come?

Exactly this is the reason why we have pulseaudio now. Most people have a normal desktop and are not interested in passthrough, dts-hd, truehd at all. They want that xbmc incorporates into their desktop, works parallel with their mail client, works in parallel to their system notifications, games and so on. Concerning the logs we receive the passthrough users are at a minority of about 20%. And out of those 20% only 1% is running pulseaudio.

I never had a problem with running desktop apps with sound and running XBMC. Sometimes though you had to reset the output device by selecting analog and then selecting HDMI-output again. I tried using
Code:
AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc
but it did no difference, I still get "Multichannel" on my Onkyo receiver. Is my only way of fixing this to remove PulseAudio all together? The HD-audio playback ability is why I use XBMC in the first place.

If I remove PulseAudio will sound still work in web browsers when streaming for example? If not, what are my options?

EDIT:
I removed PulseAudio and installed Alsa instead following this guide:
http://linuxg.net/how-to-properly-replac...n-squeeze/

Good points:
HD-Audio now works nicely in XBMC

Not so good points:
No audio in the desktop environment, or while streaming video in a browser (I guess I saw this one coming).
No - you just need to enable passthrough, that's all.

Most likely you did not make yourself familiar with the new setting hierarchies:

This is my Desktop, where I also do development of the rest of audio engine - start with AE_SINK=ALSA this time.
fritsch: off topic, but why is enalble passthrough anything other than a default settings level??
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Cause a whole lot of users simply do not know what passthrough is. In the past we always found a lot of them, that just enabled everything - cause "yeah I have a core i7 - it must do dts-hd on my desktop speakers ...".

Currently we try to open the default device (still in passthrough mode) when opening the device fails. We could change the fallback to open in 2 channel non passthrough mode and change the settings level to default. Btw. by default we also don't show HW Acceleration menu.

But that's nothing we could not change. Original intention was: xbmc should be able to play something without the need to (mis)configure anything.
AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc works for me every time. It is not ideal to start xbmc from the terminal but I have leaned to live with it. Gotta have those HD audio formats, you know?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PulseAudio Sink0