Solved Correct file and artwork naming / location for Video_TS folders
*solved - see This Post for details of Frodo compatible folder structure and naming convention for VIDEO_TS folders.

Hi all,

I have a quick question that I want to clarify.

What is the correct naming convention and location for artwork and nfo files for DVD movies in the Video_TS folder structure?

My collection is setup like this:

Movies\Movie1\VIDEO_TS]\VIDEO_TS.ifo

I'm trying to figure out where to put the artwork and nfo files.

I have stacking turned on. Do I just put everything in "Movie1" folder and let XBMC sort it all out? I typically use posters, actors, fanart, extrafanart, and nfos, but would love a breakdown of all the supported artwork (naming and location if possible).

Thanks so much guys and gals!
Movies\Movie1\VIDEO_TS]\VIDEO_TS.ifo

should be

Movies\ACTUAL NAME OF MOVIE\VIDEO_TS]\VIDEO_TS.ifo

see Video_library/Naming_files/Movies (wiki) and Set_content_and_scan (wiki)

Artwrok is then scraped according to content on library update...

XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#How_should_local_images_be_named_for_Frodo.3F (wiki) May be of use and Adding_video_sources#Adding_sources (wiki) on step 7 it should have a local nfo Scraper (in new XBMC versions)
Sorry for the poor wording on my first post. Your list is exactly how i have my folders setup, e.g:

Movies\A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo, video_ts.vob, vts01_1.vob, etc

I have everything working fine right now, but I'm a convert from Eden so I'm pretty sure it's using Eden artwork and I'd really like to get everything updated. I have a ton of tbn's etc. that I'd like to get setup to jpg's so that the multiple metadata managers I use all have the same format.

The link describing naming video files does not deal with VIDEO_TS folder structure, that's what had me confused.

I read the bit about local images and how they should be stored, but again, the VIDEO_TS folder structure was throwing me off. Should they be in the VIDEO_TS folder or in the main movie folder?
If you MUST you can just rename the tbn extension to jpg (which is what tbn is from xbox days) in any case tbn still supported just fine. Naming the art is as I posted on my original reply.
It's no problem to rename to jpg, I can do that easily enough. I'm just not sure if the artwork goes in the Video_TS folder or in the "A good day to die hard (2013)" folder?
I cant be sure because I dont use extracted folders like that or isos but the logic says

Movies\A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)\

so technically it would be where VIDEO_TS is...

But if there's nothing wrong why change it from where it is?
It is currently under the video_ts folder, but other media scrapers (media browser 3, Media Companion, etc) put it under the movie name folder. That's why I'm trying to sort out where it's suppossed to go Smile

Only reason I want to sort it out is to remove duplicate images and to be able to make sure that media companion is doing it right for movies, and media browser 3 is doing it right for TV shows.
It is supposed to be where the movie folder is, sorry if that wasnt clear, essentially I think it is where the .bup and .ifo files are

You could test with one or two Movies/Tvshows and check if suddenly things dont work you know where issue is.

I cant comment on how MB3 or MC operate because again I dont use them..

If it works with those tests then you can weed out duplicates safely.
Okay, did some testing as you suggested and I can confirm that the fanart.jpg, banner.jpg, and poster.jpg can all go in the moviename folder and do NOT have to go in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Still not sure where extra fanart, extrathumbs, and .actors folders go though. It's tough to test that stuff. XBMC keeps the local texturecache so even when I remove the .actors folder and delete the link to actor thumbs in the nfo file, the actor images still show up when I select the movie.

I removed the film from library and then did a clean library. However, now when I try to update the library, the movie won't re-populate?
Goto source under files and select >scan for new content< not update library.
Okay, apparently I'm not the only one having trouble with any of the extra fanart, thumbnail, and actor images. It seems as though xbmc will not use these folders unless you tell it to download actor images (through the video settings dialog) and tell it to "get extra artwork" and "get extra thumbs". For some reason, if you click those buttons xbmc will download and create the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders in the exact same place and they will be usable from within the movie details area. However, if you manually put them there XBMC will just ignore them. Also, no .actors folder is created anywhere? I'm really stumped as to how actor thumbnails are handled now.
I can only point to info thats on the wiki and thats done...

There is a nifty tool http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373

That would sort most of this stuff, go over have a chat and Im sure you will find it useful... I know I do.
I've actually used Millhouse's tool before to sort out some image refresh issues, but that's a good reminder.

I *think* I understand how Frodo cache's the images. What is confusing me is why it's not honoring the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders if I put them there myself? Shouldn't it get the extra fanart from the folder and then cache it?
idk however its best for your use case.
Okay, so way too much testing last night but these are the results I've found.

I copied a test movie folder and basic nfo file with just "testing" for the movie title, "testing overview" for the overview," test actor" for the actor, etc.

The format was:

Movies\Testing\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo
Movies\Testing\movie.nfo
Movies\Testing\banner.jpg
Movies\Testing\fanart.jpg
Movies\Testing\poster.jpg
Movies\Testing\extrafanart\extrafanart1.jpg
Movies\Testing\extrathumbs\thumb1.jpg
Movies\Testing\.actors\test_actor.jpg

The good news is that movie.nfo, banner.jpg, fanart.jpg, and poster.jpg all worked perfectly. Unfortuantely that is all that worked. XBMC did not scrape any of the extrafanart, extrathumbs, or actor images, even when these were moved to the VIDEO_TS folder. The "Test Actor" was listed in the movie info screen, but did not have an image. None of the extra fanart was selectable either. I am using Aeon Nox, so there may be a skin issue?

It should also be noted that the nfo file *must* be named movie.nfo if it is placed in the main movie folder. If it is in the VIDEO_TS folder, then it can be called video_ts.nfo.

I can't find any Frodo specific documentation regarding where XBMC looks for actors, extrafanart, or extrathumbs.

Querying the texturecache using millhouse's tool doesn't show any location for actor art.

I guess I need to try again with verbose logging so that I can read through and see if it is even trying to scrape from the .actors folder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Correct file and artwork naming / location for Video_TS folders0