GUIDE: Changing skip back and ahead times
(2014-02-24, 07:27)advocate99 Wrote: I've posted detailed information in the other thread you created. It appears that when watching LiveTV, the up/down/left/right arrows don't work the same way that they do when watching RecordedTV, but I've posted instructions on how to fix that...

Thanks reading it now, I think I'm making progress! (writing a longer post reply there soon)
most have come to this question.
I want to add an extra skip forward or a skip backward but the answer is always no you got 2 skips forward (30s 10m) and 3 skips back (30s 10m 7s), you can tweak these but can't add anymore.

I found a nice trick to get two extra skips, can either be both forward or both back. or one forward and one back. HOW?

you use this ActionIDs

<keyname>analogseekback</keyname>
<keyname>analogseekforward</keyname>

AnalogSeekForward/SeekBack - Variable speed seeking for analog keys (stick or triggers)

These actions where designed for joysticks. but I learnt that you can map these to buttons and they will trigger a seek. BUT they are varaible if you keep them pressed it does a continious seek, not in steps. This initself is an amazing feature that no one knows about. also using analogseek pops up seekbar (top right) and places a llittle marker to see where your seeking (roughly). a better way to seek a movie using "visual" seek

okay but how do I get an extra seek?

I've learnt that if you do a quick press on analogseek it goes +/- 10 minutes and 23 seconds. This is the lowest amount it will seek +/-. (I believe it does it by a certain percentage, so a normal movie will give you roughly 10 minutes seek time)

since this is 10 minutes +- 20 seconds its effectively 10 minutes. so you replace this for "bigseekforward/back" with this. (analogseekback=-10 minutes 23 seconds, analogseekforward=+10 minutes 23 seconds) AND NOW you got two extra slots Big Grin

not sure if people know this but just because it says BigStepForward does not mean it has to go forward, you can actually change the number to negative in advancesettings and get it to go back and the same applies to BigStepBack.

this way you got two extra skip choices. what do you think? nice little trick.

some might not follow what I have said but these pages might help
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183475&page=2

let me know if you get stuck
I tried mapping these to my up and down buttons just to see what would happen, but found the skip times to vary from 1 to 4 minutes almost randomly. I found it too unpredictable so I switched back to the defaults...

(2014-07-06, 03:21)MediaPi Wrote: most have come to this question.
I want to add an extra skip forward or a skip backward but the answer is always no you got 2 skips forward (30s 10m) and 3 skips back (30s 10m 7s), you can tweak these but can't add anymore.

I found a nice trick to get two extra skips, can either be both forward or both back. or one forward and one back. HOW?

you use this ActionIDs

<keyname>analogseekback</keyname>
<keyname>analogseekforward</keyname>

AnalogSeekForward/SeekBack - Variable speed seeking for analog keys (stick or triggers)

These actions where designed for joysticks. but I learnt that you can map these to buttons and they will trigger a seek. BUT they are varaible if you keep them pressed it does a continious seek, not in steps. This initself is an amazing feature that no one knows about. also using analogseek pops up seekbar (top right) and places a llittle marker to see where your seeking (roughly). a better way to seek a movie using "visual" seek

okay but how do I get an extra seek?

I've learnt that if you do a quick press on analogseek it goes +/- 10 minutes and 23 seconds. This is the lowest amount it will seek +/-. (I believe it does it by a certain percentage, so a normal movie will give you roughly 10 minutes seek time)

since this is 10 minutes +- 20 seconds its effectively 10 minutes. so you replace this for "bigseekforward/back" with this. (analogseekback=-10 minutes 23 seconds, analogseekforward=+10 minutes 23 seconds) AND NOW you got two extra slots Big Grin

not sure if people know this but just because it says BigStepForward does not mean it has to go forward, you can actually change the number to negative in advancesettings and get it to go back and the same applies to BigStepBack.

this way you got two extra skip choices. what do you think? nice little trick.

some might not follow what I have said but these pages might help
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183475&page=2

let me know if you get stuck
I welcome comments and suggestions for the Kodi (XBMC) Set-up Guide that I wrote.
You can read it here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193310
yes they are almost random but if you do a really quick press I found that on a normal movie it does around 10 minutes for me.

maybe you played an hour or 30 minute movie. If you can get it to do a fixed 4 minutes then you have atleast 2 more options lol
(2014-01-15, 19:35)advocate99 Wrote: By default, XBMC skips ahead and back by 30 seconds and 10 minutes. There is also an option to skip back 7 seconds by using the back button. I prefer a 10 second option. I figured out how to change these settings (in XBMC Frodo) and thought I'd share this with everyone.

Start by creating a file called advancedsettings.xml. You can create this file on a windows machine and then move the file over using SAMBA (i.e., Windows file sharing) or you can SSH into your box and create it there. I'm going to give instructions on the SSH method.

You'll put the file into the userdata folder. The location of that folder depends upon your distro. I'm using OpenELEC and so my instructions will explain how to do this using the location used by OpenELEC. If you're using another Distro, you'll need to adjust the folder location to match what your distro uses.

Ssh into your XBMC and issue the following commands:

1. Change to the appropriate directory:

cd /storage/.xbmc/userdata

2. Create and edit advancedsettings.xml

nano advancedsettings.xml

3. Add the following to the file. Adjust the numbers to suit your desires.

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<smallstepbackseconds>10</smallstepbackseconds> <!-- Length of the small skip back (normally the BACK button) when playing a video -->
<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking> <!-- Whether to use time based or percentage based seeking. -->
<timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward> <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek. Defaults to 30. -->
<timeseekbackward>-30</timeseekbackward> <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek. Defaults to -30. -->
<timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig> <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek. Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
<timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig> <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek. Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->
</video>
</advancedsettings>

4. Save and exit by hitting CTRL-X, Y, ENTER.

5. Reboot your system by typing:

reboot

(some systems may require "sudo reboot")

That's it.

Does anyone know if this has been added to the GUI in Gotham?

I have a few additional questions.
My XBMC 13.2 runs on a RASPBMC system and I interact with it using the Android YATSE remote control app.
The userdata folder is found here on RASPBMC:
/home/pi/.xbmc/userdata

Question #1:
I cannot make the short skip back work at all. Sad
When I hit the YATSE back button (the curved arrow at the bottom left) instead of skipping backwards it moves me back to the list of files from which I started the playback! Meanwhile the video continues playing in the background (at least the sound is heard).
At this point there seems to be no way to get back to the video display so I have to stop it by using the square button.
What should I do in order to tie the skip-back operation to the back button on YATSE?

Question #2:
Is there no way to restart just XBMC so I don't have to go through the hassle of rebooting the Pi?
Sometimes this takes a very long time when RASPBMC decides it needs to download major operating system upgrades and XBMC upgrades, which requires multiple restarts by the look of it?
Is there something like a service xbmc restart command or similar?

Question #3:
I noted that the advancedsettings.xml file specifies all backwards skips with negative numbers except this:
<smallstepbackseconds>10</smallstepbackseconds>
Is this a typo or is the sign correct for this entry??
Bo Berglund
Sweden
my two cents (just barely)

I think you want to keep the back button doing what it is doing (although I don't have a yatse). For skip forward and skip back I use the next/prevoius track buttons (the ones that look like >>| and |<<

don't know, but someone here will.

That's not a typo, it should be positive.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-12-15, 18:27)krustyreturns Wrote: #1
I think you want to keep the back button doing what it is doing (although I don't have a yatse). For skip forward and skip back I use the next/prevoius track buttons (the ones that look like >>| and |<<
Thanks,
I would like that as well, it really makes sense rather than jumping out of the currently playing video.
How exactly can I activate these buttons and set their times?
I assume there is some more advanced settings to do for this to happen?

By the way:
I set out to try to time the actual skips on my XBMC using YATSE and a stop-watch, but it got very confusing after a while.
Seems like the times skipped are not constant...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
#2 In Raspbmc if you go to the shutdown screen in XBMC and select Exit then XBMC will restart after 10 seconds or so

From the cmd line "sudo initctl restart xbmc" (can be restart/stop/start)
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Result:
Code:
pi@raspbmc:~$ sudo initctl restart xbmc
xbmc start/running, process 438
I guess this is the way to make the advancedsettings.xml edits "take"?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Changing skip back and ahead times0